Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
GraemeT (Graeme)
Learning fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo View Post
the platform tilts a maximum of +- 10 degrees (that's why it only gives around 80 minutes tracking).
Ahhh, yes. I see. Only the pivoting axis is parallel to the earth's axis, the board is parallel to the ground, at least in the middle of its rocking.
I must mock one up to have a look at the geometry.
Cheers
Graeme
Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
mbo (Pat and Kirk)

Eqatorial platform for a Dob

Graeme: A bit of lucky googling has found this site, it has lots of links at the bottom of the page that are worth looking at. This has to be worth doing?, the tricky bit seems to be the motor drive ...
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
mbo (Pat and Kirk)

Bart:I recognize you're avtar, but dont remember the story (read so many posts lately), I hope things have improved. I think we were just dead lucky on our first night out, it hasn't been that good (seeing) since. BUT we have found the lagoon nebula and the triffid!. (I traded the stock 6mm eyepiece for an OIII filter, so got to test that out too), also tested the 9mm Nagler (finally arrived via ebay), a bit underwhelming for now, but waiting till all this moisture clears from the air. It's our highest mag EP , so has to loose a bit because of magnification vs seeing, hopefully need a clear night to see it at it's best. Still, spent most of our Jupiter viewing using it the night before last.
Damn, I'm hooked on this stuff, 'eh?