Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-03-2006, 11:04 PM
chrissara

Help!! Urgent!! Damn Flashing!!!

Sorry to trouble you all again but I have just had a bad flash when updating my Autostar firmware on my Meade ETX125. In fact I question whether there was really a connection in the first place, but the screen is corrupted. I can fortunately safe boot into the Flash Mode on the autostar but for some reason there is a problem with the USB to serial adapter (I have purchased two - a Belkin and Targus). I have done some research on the web and this appears to be a problem i.e. some serial to usb adapters are more cheap PDA versions whereas proper one are required. As I don't yet have priviledges to post on the Buy,Sell etc forum, I was wondering if (a) anyone can recommend a usb/serial adapter that works (or at least for them) or (b) if they would sell me one or I pay for them to lend me one. My main urgency is that my son is nagging the hell out of me to get it fixed up. Can of course still use the telescope, but he likes the telescope turning etc to the planets etc. NB I have both a Mac and PC at home - none with a serial port but USB ports. Interestingly, I can't find anywhere that talks about how Mac users upload the firmware to the Autostar - it appears there are only PC programs that do this. If someone knows a program if they could let me know.
Old 17-03-2006, 11:10 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Well I got mine when I first bought my LX200 and it was the one from meade. Came with the drivers etc and I've never had any problems with it. Mind you I probably paid way to much for it in the first place but there is a certain price for assured satisfaction some times (There speaks the heart of a true meade owner )
Old 17-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

You should look at Mike Weasner's ETX site. There is a Mac application, called AutostarX, I think, that works for OSX to allow you to update the firmware. The best USB to serial cable connection people seem to recommend (in the Mac world, at least) is the one from KeySpan. Belkin has a particularly bad reputation. Weasner's ETX site will even explain how you can make your own serial cable (far beyond my capabilities, though).

I've not used any of these, BTW. I'm just passing on what I've read elsewhere.

Good luck.
Old 17-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

Hi
I got ETX-105 and I'm using USB to serial adapter from ARC Computers http://www.arc.com.au/ for $25 with Toshiba Satellite A10 notebook. No problems. It also works well with the Sky Map.
Old 18-03-2006, 08:32 AM
chrissara

Beaut,

Thnaks for the replies. Will try the Mac program first, then the a new cable.