Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-02-2011, 06:26 PM
ShuttleAU

What else can I see : Galaxies

Following on from the previous thread which galaxies are easy targets for an 8 inch or 10 inch scope ?

Shuttle.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Strider_ (Dylan)

This is a good place to start

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-268-0-0-1-0.html
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Liz

Hi Shuttle , depending on where you live, and the degree of light pollution.
Centaurus A is a beauty (NGC5128) - quite large and bright (for a galaxy).
The Sculpter galaxies are also wonderful, large and quite bright (as per list supplied by Dylan).
M31 is the amazing Andromeda Galaxy, and is visible from my place as naked eye, but depending where you live.
Many galaxies are smaller, with low surface brightness, and tricky to spot, but there are other brighter ones.
The Leo triplet are a delight - 3 visible in the EP (eyepiece).
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
The Leo triplet are a delight - 3 visible in the EP (eyepiece).
Also the Grus Triplet - NGC7582, 7590 and 7599.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Once Virgo get up a bit there are lots of Messier objects that are all easily visible in 8", and plenty of other galaxies. Under moderately dark skies lots of galaxies to spot in that part of the sky!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Stu Ward

I don't think any of them are "easy" apart from andromeda I guess. Most require skill to find and the ability to use averted vision, which is a skill within itself.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

On a good clear night I recently, I spotted Centaurus A through binos in my light polluted suburb when it was about 55 degrees high. Feint, small, elongated and fuzzy- but very definitely there in the binos. A check on Starry Night software confirmed my sighting as I sketched the surrounding stars (which will be useful as a star hop with the scope). I now look forward to pointing my scope at it when next I get a good, clear sky as this object has eluded me in my scope from the previous summer.

If I can get it in my 10x60 binos, you should be able to get it in your scope, but wait till it's high enough and the sky is clear. High cloud is a real killer - even for binos pointing at bright star clusters. High cloud is tricky- the sky looks clear, but its not. And you will notice the stars twinkling a lot. If you look at the sky just before it turns dark you will see the high cloud I mean. Last nights horrible viewing session with my binos was a good example of that. Generally I don't bother taking the scope out when that's the case and settle for bino viewing instead.

Andromeda galaxy is absolutely breathtaking, big and bright in a scope and takes up the whole field of view. I've only viewed this from a dark site though, not sure how it holds up in Suburbia. It's not time for Andromeda though, but do remember to have a look at it when it comes back, as it is a real jaw dropper.

Great thread by the way, I'm writing down all these suggestions others have posted. This is a question I was going to start a thread myself on soon.

Happy galaxy hunting!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Shuttle,

First thing to remember is that even most of the brighter galaxies are still fairly dim targets. Consequently the most important thing is to have dark skies.

When you get to dark skies here's 166 of them to keep you busy. They are sorted in order of magnitude order. This is an extract of the galaxies from my 600 target Southern skies observing list. Some of them are beyond a 10" scope but there's plenty here to keep you going.

Cheers,
John B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bambos Southern Skies List (galaxies only).pdf (138.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

That's a great list John, thanks for posting it.

What's the best way to print it? It comes out as a 1 page pdf for me that's to small to read....
Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Just thought of the answer....A3!

(i'm a bit slow today....)
Old 02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
That's a great list John, thanks for posting it.

What's the best way to print it? It comes out as a 1 page pdf for me that's to small to read....
Hi Stephen,

If anyone wants to send me a PM with their email address, I am happy to email them the file in Excel format, which is simple to print over a couple of pages. For whatever reason I can't upload an excel file to this website.

Cheers,
John B
Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
ShuttleAU

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the lists. A big help and gives some items to search for next time the sky is clear.

Shuttle.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi Stephen,

If anyone wants to send me a PM with their email address, I am happy to email them the file in Excel format, which is simple to print over a couple of pages. For whatever reason I can't upload an excel file to this website.

Cheers,
John B
Fantastic list John. I already have your list of carbons stars printed out as well. I will pm you with my email address for the galaxy list. Many thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttleAU View Post
Following on from the previous thread which galaxies are easy targets for an 8 inch or 10 inch scope ?

Shuttle.
I can't resist as it was done to me when I first joined this great group so here goes. The MilkyWay Galaxy is the easiest to see
Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
gpb (Chris)

Great thread, very useful information here.
Old 28-03-2011, 12:46 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttleAU View Post

Shuttle.
Hi,

after looking at M83 last night through an 8" F6 Dob, my hopes have been dashed of seeing galaxies visually from light polluted cities. this was in melbourne.
it was a very faint smudge, could barely see the core but no hint of the spiral arms.
I might try again with a light pollution filter, but being a 7.9 Mag galaxy, I was hoping to see some faint hint of spiral arms.
did not try averted vision though.

not sure if my focal length, F6 makes a difference visually. I know focal length greatly reduces exposure time for AP, but would it make a difference for visual observation?

second is the quality of the mirror. mine is an 8" bintel dob with I guess a decent mirror, about 2 years old, will quality of the mirror make a difference in amount of light or would it show up as improvement in contrast, especially the peak to valley wave rating they often advertise?

I saw eta carina through Eric's 12" SDM in a dark site and thats permanently etched in my brain. unbelievable depth and contrast and clarity, undoubtedly due to quality of mirror, eye piece, aperture and dark site. but I wonder what makes the most difference.
mirror reflectivity, quality, eyepiece, dark site?

edit: i find calsky.com an invaluable tool in planning an observing session

Last edited by alistairsam; 28-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 28-03-2011, 01:20 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post

But I wonder what makes the most difference.
mirror reflectivity, quality, eyepiece, dark site?
By a "country mile", DARK SITE!

I had what I thought were great views with my first scope - an 8" Bintel (GSO) dob using the supplied GSO eyepieces - BUT under Snake Valley's dark skies. I recall that I could just glimpse M65 and M66 cores in Melbourne suburbs.
Old 28-03-2011, 05:29 PM
yusufcam (Colin)

country skies take me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
By a "country mile", DARK SITE!
recently went out to my fathers place in the country and was flabbergasted at what the sky looked like. In a number of ways I could see more with the naked eye than i could with a scope in surburban sydney.

i was also surprised to see that you could see just a well to the horizon as you could looking straight up.

was an eye opener, for sure.
Old 28-03-2011, 05:59 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Thanks for the magic list of Galaxies that's going to be wonderful!!
To print out on 2 x A4 when you 're in the print screen, click on print view and adjust the view to 1/2 the list
Old 28-03-2011, 06:19 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Alastair
Paddy and I had a few looks at M83 down at Snake Valley in my 12" and his 16". It is a fairly challenging object even with pretty good skies at SN and lots of aperture. Of course experience and persistence helps with seeing more. I think I spent about 1/2 an hour in total observing it and fianlly got a dark lane and an arm. In suburban skies even 16" would struggle to get much more than the core.
Of course if you want a challenge, later in the year try for M74 in Pisces. Very faint, low surface brightness galaxy, one of the hardest Messier galaxies to nab even in the country if you are using 8".
I am not sure that focal length really makes much difference when observing visually, really there wouldn't be that much difference between f6 and f5 anyways, and any faster is going to push up the $$$. There are now a few f4 imaging newts at quite low prices available. Would be interesting to hear what people find with these if used for visual.
Likewise mirror quality. The GSO mirrors generally are excellent for the money, and from what I understand are bettere than what would have been a premium mirror 20 years ago.
So in short the single biggest factor in what you are going to see will be the darkness of your sky and the seeing conditions.

Malcolm