Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-12-2006, 12:12 AM
laz

Back for a second time :P

AND THIS TIME I FINALLY HAVE A TELESCOPE!!

I joined this site just under two years ago now and have always wanted to get some gear but every time i had the money something would come up that would prevent me from getting it. But now I've just got a telescope for christmas and am ready to explore the stars above

It is a Bushmaster StarExplorer SE114900, reflecting telescope (lens aperture of 4.5in, focal length 900mm). It came with a 1.5x Erecting Eyepiece, a 2x Barlow and three lenses(20mm, 12.5mm and 4mm). The manual says as it has an equatorial mount, i can use an electric clock drive with it to track the stars/planets etc. At the moment I am just content checking out the moon and manual searching the sky to see things.

The sky has been cloudy for the past week all day and night so i had no chance to really see anything, except tonight the moon was out for a couple of minutes between some clouds. By the time I moved the scope into position it had nearly gone but i got a 4 second look at it with just the 20mm lens and it was amazing. I could see craters everywhere. I've seen so many pics on the net of the moon close up and through various telescopes but it seems so much cooler when it's from my own backyard

I'm making a list of questions to ask so I'll post in this thread again when i've got them all organised. Congrats Mike(and others), this community has grown so quickly in such a short time it's great to see.

Cheers guys.
Old 28-12-2006, 12:48 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Congratulations on your new scope.
You'll have a ball with it.
Old 28-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Dujon
SKE

Great news, laz.

You'll have great moon views through that little fellow (I love moon observing) but don't forget to check out the other brighter solar system objects - Saturn is good at the moment (when the clouds part). *sighs*

A ton of fun is coming up; I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Now all you have to worry about is 'aperture fever'.
Old 28-12-2006, 01:02 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

have a ball and do it often
welcome back

the best telescope for anyone is the one that gets used
Old 28-12-2006, 07:16 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Congrats on the scope, you will have a ball with it. It will be great on the moon, planets, double stars, clusters and the brighter nebulae and galaxies.

Enjoy
Old 30-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Laz and welcome back.
You will have a great time with your new scope and your right, the views are always better from your own backyard with your own scope.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Laz, welcome back!

Make sure you ask plenty of questions!