Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

The Moon and Earth like Geological stria

The recorded pic covers the top area of Mare Nectaris with the magnificent crater Theophilus, 104 km in dia and 6,858 m deep with central peaks rising 2,286m, partly overlaying the older 93 km Crater Cyrillus, 3,658 m deep with a central peak rising 1,829 m
Although one cannot pass up the specticle that these two craters provide, it is the simularity to numerous geological formations one sees here on earth that held my interest, the stria pattern on the mountains to the north - on the right. Note how one very prominant stria appears to continue to the left and to to cut throughTheophilius' crater wall. This mountainous group being so prominent, I would have thought to have found its name, but I can find no reference to it. Comparing it to the crater depths it is very rugged with considerable height. The pic size may make it difficult to see these features.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Theophilus Cyrillus Jn 21 c7 reduced image.jpg)
72.4 KB25 views
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Nice image Dennis, theophilus is one of my favourite areas of the moon. You've captured it nicely.

You should consider posting your moon images to this solar system forum.