Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-03-2024, 10:48 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
I had intraocular toroidal lenses fitted a little over seven years ago and have been very happy with the results. Google says :

Toric intraocular lenses (IOLs) are considered the most predictive way of correcting corneal astigmatism in a patient undergoing cataract surgery, as they may correct astigmatism as low as 0.75 diopters. Monofocal and multifocal toric IOLs are available and are chosen based on the patient's expectations.

I've always had astigmatism (about +ve 2.00 in both eyes) so had to wear glasses. After the ops which were a month apart I only had to wear reading glasses (around 500mm fl) and computer glasses ( around 400mm fl). Apparently always had better than 20/20 vision but the astigmatism was the bugbear. Nice not to wear glasses after many years so looking into eyepieces without them was great. The only issue I now have is floaties which have got steadily worse over the past three to four years, this can be seen to apparently but at a cost and is not guaranteed to be fully effective, part of the aging process I believe, I'm 73 now.
Thanks very much for your insights.
Apparently I've been lucky, the eye doctor said that my astigmatism was bad in both eyes, but somehow there was compensation between the two eyes - which was why I never wore glasses, except for looking at the night sky.

I'm waiting for him to ring me back to set an operation time, when hopefully I'll be by the computer and can ask him about Toric intraocular lenses, and the other ones mentioned in this thread.

I've been waiting for a few weeks. I haven't rung him because of trepidation and being happy to put it off. Oddly, the vision blur in my left eye is stiil there, but not as bad as what it was when I first went running off to see him.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 28-03-2024, 10:54 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
So apparently I'm the only one to request the full spectrum lenses in a good while. Anyway if you are only getting one eye done - well you might probably be given a blue block lens as your other natural eye lens would be fairly yellow by now and they want to match .

However most right handed people are right eye dominant so I felt that the new colour balance dominated . When I got the clear lens on the right the new colour balance difference was pretty striking . Blue and violets much stronger and whites looking much whiter . I could immediately see the chromatic aberration in my finderscope .

I have had my left eye done now 6 days ago , results are fantastic , better than 20/20 in that eye already . Very happy .
Very glad it's worked out so well for you.

Interesting about your colour perception being improved. It will be interesting to see what happens with my left eye since, ever since I started using telescopes and binoculars, I've noticed that when I used it on emission nebulas, it was like having half a broad band LPR filter in it, compared to the view in my right eye.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 29-03-2024, 01:30 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Very glad it's worked out so well for you.

Interesting about your colour perception being improved. It will be interesting to see what happens with my left eye since, ever since I started using telescopes and binoculars, I've noticed that when I used it on emission nebulas, it was like having half a broad band LPR filter in it, compared to the view in my right eye.
Cheers,
Renato

The natural lens yellows as it ages filters out the blue /violet end of the spectrum . The blue/blocking lens replacement has a 10% light transmission at 405nm similar to the aged eye . Cataracts are particularly yellow orange in colour . Even with a single lens replacement with a clear lens , my perception of blue light with both eyes open improved dramatically and whites looked really white . And there was certainly a big difference when looking through a telescope at M42 Orion nebula for example .
Old 29-03-2024, 05:23 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
The natural lens yellows as it ages filters out the blue /violet end of the spectrum . The blue/blocking lens replacement has a 10% light transmission at 405nm similar to the aged eye . Cataracts are particularly yellow orange in colour . Even with a single lens replacement with a clear lens , my perception of blue light with both eyes open improved dramatically and whites looked really white . And there was certainly a big difference when looking through a telescope at M42 Orion nebula for example .
Thanks.
Sounds like I have something to look forward to!
Cheers,
Renato