Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Robh (Rob)

I agree with Chris, a planisphere is an invaluable tool for the beginner.
Australian Sky and Telescope sell a Star Disc with artwork by Wil Tirion for $14.95. Add postage.
http://www.austskyandtel.com.au/Book...S/Default.aspx

Regards, Rob.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Paduan (Brett)

Hi and thanks the problem is that i own three planispheres and a star atlas and i have recently downloaded and wasted oodles of time on stellarium as well as the internet yet still am no closer to the answer to the original problem "how come the constellations lines are not definitive" i have taken the advice given to me and found the easiest way to remember them even if it is not the "correct" way
Old 13-08-2010, 03:09 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paduan View Post
Hi and thanks the problem is that i own three planispheres and a star atlas and i have recently downloaded and wasted oodles of time on stellarium as well as the internet yet still am no closer to the answer to the original problem "how come the constellations lines are not definitive" i have taken the advice given to me and found the easiest way to remember them even if it is not the "correct" way
As far as astronomers are concerned there is no need for any constellation lines as there are no lines in the sky. The lines on some charts are merely joined dots that different cultures around the world see differently and it's not as simple as expecting say the western world to standardise. Look at the Big Dipper aka plough aka Great Bear aka horse carriage aka saucepan (and others) for example. If you are trying to learn the sky, think triangles and star hop; the sky will eventually become familiar to you. (Or just make up your own symbols). Sagittarius will always be the teapot and Orion the Hunter will always be the saucepan.

Note too the Zodiac is upsidedown from the southern hemisphere unless you face south and tilt your head over backwards, just look at Leo the Lion.

I actually prefer charts without lines as I feel the lines just get in the way and you will find any reputable chart does not show the lines at all.