Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Enthusiatic Noob With a Celestron

Hey Hey

I look forward to getting to know you all

I have always been very interested in astonomy, I bought a small telescope when Haley's came by, got disapointed, never had the time to follow it up further, untill recently. The skies have always held my imagination, now I'd like to get up close and personal. I was lucky enough to stumble on quite a bargain - so much of one my wife did't complain at my purchase of a Celestron Nexstar4GT with Skyalign. After all, we do have young children, and this is educational!

Herin lies my problem, much enthusiasm, no experience.

I was lucky enough to have it when we recently had a the lunar ecplipse. I found it magnificent, yet I find the Moon never disapoints. Always a new crater, a new shadow. I have 25X and a 10X eyepiece, and have manged to locate Jupiter and it's four moons on several occasions. I use the 25x to line up and then swicth to the 10x. I swear I can see the bands. My wife agrees.

Here starts my problems.
I have had much difficulty with the Skyalign database built in. I asked the NG shop where I purchased it, but they suggested I give it a miss and stick with manal slew on a slow rate. I'd like to use the software, being an amatuer, that was a big selling point to me. Any experienced Skyalign users able to help a noob?

which cascades into my next dillema.

Where the heck is everything? LOL. I seem to have no problem making some stars somewhat larger/brighter, and have found quite some that cannot be seen with the naked eye by just aimless roving, Jupiter as mentioned above, Venus (very cool cresent on my first night, quite impressed I didn't realise it showed as a crescent), great Moon watching, and that's it. I can read a plan, but I have never read a star chart. Can anyone ofer a link to some basics for getting the references right - grid lines and so forth?

Where can I find Mars, binary stars and all that cool stuff. Impatient I guess, and it is had not to be, is there a guide I should be following, can anyone help with the Skyalign software, or just some general tips?
I have contacted the NG shop for pricing on more powerful eyepieces, but since have discovered this wonderful invention called the barlow lens (I told you, ultra noob here - but eagre!) would that be a better purchase?

All offerings much appreciated in advance, I cannot wait to find Mars and Saturn, although from what I have already read here, I am gonna need to reset my alarm clock for Saturn! Glaxies, anything, maintenance care, whatever is on offer, I greatly appreciate anyone who can share their experience and hep my learning curve to become a short one. This world of the night sky is fascinating and beautiful!

See Ya All Real Soon I hope
Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Jack,

Welcome to IIS

Cannot help you with the software at all, just a dobber here. BUT as for finding your way around the sky start get a good planisphere (large Chandler type) and a set of binoculars. Use it to learn your way around the sky and to identify the constellations then progress to a simple sky atlas. Its a lot of fun and a relaxing time to lay in a deck chair with a pair of binocs and cruise the sky to locate objects you want to observe with the scope later in the session.

Keep looking up....
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Thanks for the quick reply.

I bought my son a pair from the NG shop, just the yellow ones with a compass in the end - not sure of the power but for some reasdon I keep thinking t is 25x like one of my eyepieces. Would this be sufficient for this exercise or should I save up for a very good pair?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

and .
Get in touch with the Southern Astronomical Society (SAS) they are in the phone book and you will get lots of help, you may even find there are members who live near you, and you can get together and get some advice
Cheers Ron
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Thanks astroron

I might have a look for a website too for SAS. Neat name huh !

For any Queenslanders, I am in the Hinterland on the Gold Coast, Great spot, any neighbours in here?

Thanks for the welcome, I am sure I am going to really like it here.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Jack

www.sas.org.au

Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome from me.
Get out to a dark site and cruise along the Milky Way..its is right obove us early of an evening at the moment.. in fact directly above you is the center of our gallaxy..take your time and you will surprise yourself with what you will see.
In a dark site looking South you will notice two smudges..these are the large and Small Magellan clouds... real galaxies to survey.
Dont rush to buy stuff..astronomy is a little like fishing you can end up with a box of gear that you play with while waiting but do not often use when actually doing the business. If you must get a cheap 2x barlow..

It is a temptation to try for higher magnification but eventually you will find the lower the magnificantion produces the best views..my opinion which some may disagree with...but I say this..I spend more time using 80mm binos than the 12 inch.
Again welcome and post often.
alex
Old 09-10-2007, 10:31 PM
mcross

What sort of problems are you having with the Skyalign? I have this telescope and it usually aligns pretty well.
I would also agree with Alex about rushing in and buying accessories. I have a 2X Barlow and never use it. I don't know a lot about optics and eyepieces and maybe I'm missing something with the Barlows (?), but I have found that no combination with a Barlow gave me a better view that what I could get with the 10X.
But as has been mentioned before, try a few out if you can get a chance and then purchase it if you feel it gives you what you want.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Jack and welcome to the forum, I hope you get your skyalign sorted out soon, it will make your observing a lot easier and enjoyable.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Thanks Ric and mcross, xelasnave. I will refrain, thanks very much for the tip. I am on Mt Nathan, in a large valley, so I seem to have a really good dark spot in my own backyard. There is a mountain tip just behind my place, I don't get the sunrise untill abut 25-30 mins after the rest of the coast, so even city spill does not seem to affect me, would it be affecting the atmosphere and my viewing?

Just a question, what would be the limit of my Nexstar? Could I easily see the rings of Saturn, the colours in a nebulae or Pluto's coulouring? How detailed can I see the moon, would I be able to distinguish the reflective mirrors left there. or would a close up on a large crater be it?

With my Skyalign, I have used the three star system several times, it says it has a lock, but when I point it to the moon or Jupiter, it skews way of somewhere else. Not sure what I am doing wrong, I even have the manual out there with me going step by step.

Thank you all very much for the replies. I will take the advice on.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You sound in need of the yearbook
"Astronomy 2007"
You can buy it from any good bookshop. It has a very good set of All Sky Maps in the centre that you can remove and laminate.
Month by month, day by day, it will tell you everything you want to know about what's happening in the night sky.
Just about everyone in this forum uses this book to keep themselves in the know.
Next years edition will be coming out in a month or so. You can purchase them from IceInSpace for a small discount.
But you'll still get heaps of use if you buy this years edition.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Janette on the Astronomy 2007, wouldn't be without it. Can't really help much with the goto software but just a thought, is it set for the southern hemisphere ? Sometimes the default is northern.

Cheers
Bill
Old 11-10-2007, 09:26 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

rather than do a skyalign can you do a normal 2-3 star alignment?

you can use astronomy software like celestia to learn the stars which will be helpful in picking alignment stars
Old 11-10-2007, 10:01 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

I did a search for you on the Celestron 'Manuals Archive' website for the manual to help you sort out any problems.

Here is the manual for your model if you don't have one: http://downloads.celestron.com/Manua...1041_nx4gt.pdf
Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 PM
mcross

Ok Psyche, lets see where you are up to! If you are following the manual, you are probably doing all of these things, so I don't mean to sound patronising, but it doesn't hurt to double check!
I have found that, as long as the two stars aren't too close to eachother in the sky, this scope will align well with Two Star Alignment. You may wish to try this and see how it goes.
1. OTA (tube) is level with the ground (I use a spirit level)
2. OTA is pointing north (compass)
3. Date is in US format (month/day/year, not day/month/year)
4. Time Zone = 10
5. I don't know if you are selecting "Nearest City", I enter the latitude and longitude of where I am. You find this at this web site. Make sure, however, you use their converter to convert their decimal figures into "minutes" and "seconds".
6. Check that the star that you are looking at is, in fact, the star that you are selecting by name using the hand controller. ie make sure you have the right name for the right star.
I think that's it - I may have overlooked something that someone else may pick up on.
As far as viewing goes, even at 25X you will see the rings of Saturn (although now is not the best time of year to be viewing Saturn). You will see some nebulae, but not with all the colours you see in all the great photos shown here! Star clusters look great through this scope. A favourite of mine is the Butterfly Cluster in Scorpius (M6 if you get your alignment sorted!). Galaxies are quite dim - difficult to sometimes see or make out, depending on your conditions. But you have to remember it is a 4" telescope and can only let in so much light!
Good Luck,
Mark
Old 17-10-2007, 01:08 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Thank you all very much, I have tried to reply a few times but got an error. Must have the window open too long. That'll teach me not to save progress.

ballaratdragons, thanks muchly, I have an electronic copy now.

Many thanks for the heads up on Astronomy 2008. I wil be looking out for this.
All these great replies got me thinking, so I did a little surfing and found and downloaded What's Up by Tammy Plonter - the free E Book, also I found Getting Started Sky Charts here -http://www.universetoday.com/whatsup/skychart-south.pdf 2007 of what's up here http://www.astrowhatsup.com/download-the-book/ andStellarium from Sourceforge. I also downloaded the October Skychart. The above seems quite easy to follow, and I am already starting to identify stars and planets, just been practising with a naked eye to start. I am going to drag the Celestron out tonight though, I am keen to have a closer look at Antares. Stellarium just rocks, beautiful graphics, easy to follow, easy to set, I am very impressed with it. Great as an introductory tool for me.
I will attempt a 2 star alignment, but it is only after the excellent help I have recieved here am I starting to understand where to look, and what for. That's why I have not attempted it before.
mcross, that just rocks, thank you so very much. Not patronising at all, I need baby steps. I really appreciate the effort.
My OTA - that's the big main tube right? That's the only thing labbeled similar in my parts list in the manual. I will check for level, I have one of those little round ones, it should be good for this. The date did trip me up to begin with, being a US format, but I caught onto that one, zone had me completely bewildered. I am sure I was using the default (7 I think). The manual was short on how to obtan this info. Many thanks for that - how does one know one's zone?
Used the website - I now have my Long/Lat, and might try that alignement method too. Unfortunately, I think Brisbane was my closest option for a city.
According to the manual, I did not have to know any stars to set up (biggest selling point), from the manual

Use the arrow buttons on the hand control to slew (move) the telescope towards any bright celestial object in the sky. Align the object with the red dot of the finderscope and press ENTER.
5. If the finderscope has been properly aligned with the telescope tube, the alignment star should now be visible inside the field of view of the eyepiece. The hand control will ask that you center the bright alignment star in the center of the eyepiece and press the ALIGN button. This will accept the star as the first alignment position. (There is no need to adjust the slewing rate of the motors after each alignment step. The NexStar automatically selects the best slewing rate for aligning objects in both the finderscope and the eyepiece).
6. For the second alignment object, choose a bright star or planet as far as possible from the first alignment object. Once again use the arrow button to center the object in the finderscope and press ENTER. Then once centered in the eyepiece press the ALIGN button.
7. Repeat the process for the third alignment star. When the telescope has been aligned to the final stars, the display will read "
Match Confirmed". Press UNDO to display the names of the three bright objects you aligned to, or press ENTER to accept these three objects for alignment. You are now ready to find your first object.

This method says I don't need to know the stars, I envisioned it as the learning tool for me to get aquainted with the univerese, but it does not seem to be all that crash hot for that function.
But, to date I have not had a single success using this method. I will try others now, many thanks to the iceinspace members.

That's a great overview on what to expect as well. Many thanks again, I didn't want to expect too much, so it's nice to know what I can accomplish so I may set some targets. Sounds great and I looked up M6 on Stellarium last night to find it. It would seem Jupiter and Pluto are the only two planets in the current night sky (will be looking for Pluto tonight), do we get to see all the Planets from different parts of the year, or do I have to trave to another part of the world to observe. for instance:- Mars? I'd love to see if I can make out the polar caps.
I can see an 8" on the horizon though LOL.

Many thanks again to all, and thanks for the welcome's too.
Old 17-10-2007, 01:25 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi, you'll see all the planets throughout the year - just look for them in Stellarium. This evening, Mars is rising around midnight and is in Gemini.

Pluto That'll be a bit of a challenge!
Old 17-10-2007, 01:27 PM
niko

My 2 cents worth

The Jewel Box just near the Southern Cross and the nebula in Orion are good targets for the beginner. Not sure of their NGC numbers but a net search should help there and you should be able to punch them into the SkyAlign software

hope it helps

niko
Old 17-10-2007, 01:40 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I can help with some more info, niko:-

Jewel Box - NGC 4755, lovely, but I suspect you won't see it from SE Qld in the evenings at present - Crux is too close to the horizon down here and probably below horizon from SE Qld.

Nebula in Orion - M42 - yes, a good target, but not rising high enough until around 1:30am or later at present?

Try the lovely globular, 47 Tuc (NGC 104), then try the nearby smaller globular NGC 362. They should be good sights from soon after the sky goes dark.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
My 2 cents worth

The Jewel Box just near the Southern Cross and the nebula in Orion are good targets for the beginner. Not sure of their NGC numbers but a net search should help there and you should be able to punch them into the SkyAlign software

hope it helps

niko
Old 17-10-2007, 03:01 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Thanks a million eric and niko.
I might give M42 a miss until the weekend or I'll never get to work

I cannot wait to find Mars, I didn't see it in stellarium last night, just Jupiter and Pluto, which is why I thought I might have a crack at finding Pluto, but I was only expecting to see something like a small star? Will my 4" reach it? I will do a thourough search for Mars tonight.

I shall look up NGC 104 tonight and see if I can locate it. I have been keen to see a Galaxy, so this should be quite exciting.
Doing some reading up on astronmy, the Whirlpool Galaxy (Messier 51a, M51a?) sounds like a real viewing pleasure. Is that a viewable object with my equipment?

Saturday night, I'll be chasing the Jewel box no doubt, that sounds great. I found a good reference on it here http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/ngc/n4755.html
Star cluster ey, seems I am going to rather enjoy this learning curve

I just looked up the Orion Nebulae on the net, I am sure looking forward to the Weekend now!! That looks great!! Thanks muchly for the heads up.