Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Mun (Josh)

Thanks Murphey for all that advice! It helps me out a lot as I need all the help I can get!

I'm defintely convinced on upgrading my mount but sticking with the scope I already have, although I'm not to keen on the prices of an eq6 (as cool as they are) so defintely looking along the lines of an heq5?

After buying myself a mount ill be looking for a dslr camera. Although I don't really know too much about them at this stage.
Also if possible could someone please tell me me what a CCD camera is exactly, I've seen what they look like but I don't really understand them.

Such an amazing photo below Murphey! Tonight I was looking at the Orion nebula too, and everytime I'm just blown away at how beautiful it is! Even though it's just a grey cloud.

Also, sorry if it sounded like I was making a checklist of what to buy, I've just been trying to get an understanding of what sort of equipment people use, I defintely need to join a club soon!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:56 AM
LAW (Murphy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mun View Post
Thanks Murphey for all that advice! It helps me out a lot as I need all the help I can get!

I'm defintely convinced on upgrading my mount but sticking with the scope I already have, although I'm not to keen on the prices of an eq6 (as cool as they are) so defintely looking along the lines of an heq5?
They're not a bad mount, I've heard they can be better than an eq6 for light loads, but obviously the eq6 has more capacity so the heq5 could restrict you later. I don't know if I'd personally go any bigger than an 8" newt on an heq5 as it's only rated for 13kgs and imaging gear adds weight surprisingly quickly. keep an eye out for a second hand EQ6 if you can, it's a bit overkill for a 6" but it'll pay off in the long run. I can't remember what I paid for mine but it was only around $500.

Quote:
After buying myself a mount ill be looking for a dslr camera. Although I don't really know too much about them at this stage.
Also if possible could someone please tell me me what a CCD camera is exactly, I've seen what they look like but I don't really understand them.
CCD stands for "Charged Couple Device". Its just a different way of turning photons into electrons, CCDs generally are less noisy, more sensitive, and 'purpose built' rather than DSLR sensors which have to be modified and cooled to get the same effect. But DSLRs are (I think) better suited to beginners because their interface is easier to use, and don't require a laptop (and you can't take happy snaps with a CCD ).

Quote:
Such an amazing photo below Murphey! Tonight I was looking at the Orion nebula too, and everytime I'm just blown away at how beautiful it is! Even though it's just a grey cloud.

Also, sorry if it sounded like I was making a checklist of what to buy, I've just been trying to get an understanding of what sort of equipment people use, I defintely need to join a club soon!
Thanks, I've always been obsessed with M42, probably since I saw it through the 12" SCT at my high school. It's easily my favourite piece of sky.

Good luck! Sorry about my tendency to ramble, I only bought my first scope 6 months ago so I'm no expert but I do love sitting outside watching the 'falling photons'.