Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 10:39 PM
b4d0m3n
Nerfect Pobody

Greetings and Queries...

Hello there, my hilarious primates. How goes it? Good, I hope. My name is Chris and I live in Adelaide (the City of Churches, though I do not myself live in a Church). I have been interested in the skies for a long, long time but have only recently begun to actually look up there and wonder what the poop is going on. I borrowed some star maps from the local library (never underestimate its awesome power) and have started studying the skies. Well, last night and tonight as a matter of fact.

I think I will buy a pair of binoculars soon (something in the 10x50 range, I believe) and this will give me a way sweeter view of the glass dome upon which the heavens slide. I do, however, have a few queries which I would like to pose to all you kickass people on the forum. Here goes:

1) I have been trying to find the Southern Cross. Now, I think I've located it, but as always I cannot be sure. I was looking today at about 9PM, facing South. Um. Is that where it should usually be? If so, I may have located a bit of Centaurus and possibly Musca, but I'm not sure I can confirm that.

2) I saw two 'falling stars'. Brief streaks in the sky before they disappeared. Does that happen often? What are they - chunks of rocks, random particles?

3) Damn, but orientation is difficult. It took me a while to locate what I think I saw, and I'm pretty sure I saw Venus hanging out in the south-west last night. How do you guys deal with what is essentially a pretty weird point of view?

I think that's about it. If I think of any more wisdom to dispense I will surely return. Thanks in advance for any answers you can give a feeblw newbie in the field.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:07 AM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum
To find the southern cross look for two of the brightest stars in the sky (that are close together) these are are known as the pointers and they point to the southern cross. The brightest stars you will see as soon as the sun goes down that are far apart will be Venus and Jupiter. Bino's are a good start and get yourself a planisphere for about 25 bux that shouls dee you right for a while. I hope this helps you.

Gazz/Irish
Old 02-08-2005, 12:49 AM
b4d0m3n
Nerfect Pobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahullian
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum
To find the southern cross look for two of the brightest stars in the sky (that are close together) these are are known as the pointers and they point to the southern cross. The brightest stars you will see as soon as the sun goes down that are far apart will be Venus and Jupiter. Bino's are a good start and get yourself a planisphere for about 25 bux that shouls dee you right for a while. I hope this helps you.

Gazz/Irish
Aye, I shall be getting a planisphere at some point soon, I hope. I figured the bright 'stars' after sundown are Venus and Jupiter. That's awesome. Thanks for your reply, dude.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Chris and

Venus is to the west-northwest and is the brightest star in the sky. You can't miss it. If your out under the night sky for any length of time you will see a few to many "shooting stars" (meteors). Most are very small pieces of rock and dust or cometary debris. When trying to find your direction, hold both your arms straight out to your side with your right hand pointing to where the sun went down. You will be facing south. At around 27 degrees above the south-southwest horizon will be the southern cross. As cahullian says you'll see the two pointer stars pointing towards the horizon towards it. About two and a half clench fists held at arms length above the hoizon.

Enjoy your viewing and come back often
Old 02-08-2005, 08:36 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Chris, Welcome to the madness The others have said it all abut finding the Southern Cross and the meteors but the binocs are a great wsay to start this hobby. I used an old pair for a couple of years while saving up for my scope. If possible get a pair with the attachment for a tripod because a still set of binoculars on a tripod simply give more stunning views than hand held with the associated wobbles. A set of 10x50s on a tripod will blow your sox off when looking at the moon. That brings up another point, get a simple guide to the moon, you will be hooked!!

Keep looking up
Old 02-08-2005, 10:31 AM
b4d0m3n
Nerfect Pobody

Hey. That sounds awesome, dudes. Yes! I do believe I found the Southern Cross. Rocking! And, yeah, that was most probably Venus up there. Hooray. This is a damn cool hobby to get into. My favourite part is the stars. Haha! That was stupid.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Chris

You should check out the free star maps linked to in this section.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hi chris, welcome to the nut house. congrats on ur finds

need more help just ask
Old 02-08-2005, 05:08 PM
atalas

Hi Chris and to IceInSpace !

Louie
Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Welcome Chris, judging by your opening post, you'll fit in well here. It's worth checking out the heavens above site (www.heavens-above.com) for info on the wonderful man made space snails (e.g. the International Space Station) that trundle over surface of the previously mentioned glass dome. If you put in your Lat and Long you can also print out a star map for any desired date and time all for free.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 PM
b4d0m3n
Nerfect Pobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite
Welcome Chris, judging by your opening post, you'll fit in well here. It's worth checking out the heavens above site (www.heavens-above.com) for info on the wonderful man made space snails (e.g. the International Space Station) that trundle over surface of the previously mentioned glass dome. If you put in your Lat and Long you can also print out a star map for any desired date and time all for free.
Hey. Sounds sweet. I'll register and see what it does. Thanks for the welcome and the info, dude.