Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-05-2023, 08:51 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Right Place Right Time

Just setting up my AR127 achro to look at Mars through the cloud and smoke, l know right.
Meteor, bright and clear straight across in front of Mars as l was looking up to manually aim the achro. Observed with my eyes not the achro luckily.
Back to my observing now.

Back from observing, the red planet was red, too low and smokey for good observation.
School me on galaxies. Aperture is king and I've only got 127mm, 1200fl.
Tried to locate M83, Southern Pinwheel galaxy.
I located 1-4 Centauri but couldn't get to M83.
Only using x40 mag, l was looking for a reasonable smudge in space. How wrong was I?
I realise my 127mm 1200fl achro is an average telescope and not best suited to deep space.
More mag, more aperture, not a good start given light pollution?
I just don't know but would value being told the honest truth.
I can see a light bucket in my future, have shed, trolley and concrete.
It's the thrill of the chase right?

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 20-05-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 20-05-2023, 10:56 PM
michael_qrt (Michael)

It's always great seeing meteors when you're out at night!

As for seeing M83 what sort of light pollution are you observing under? For galaxies I'd say sky darkness is king, followed by aperture. If you're under suburban light pollution you'd be looking for a very faint smudge, probably detectable only with averted vision. I bit more power may help, if you're confident you're in the right spot I'd try powers up to about 100x and wiggle the scope slightly while using averted vision. The core of M83 has a quite decent surface brightness for a galaxy and that's what you'll see, the spiral arms are quite a bit more difficult to see than the core.

For other galaxies I'd recommend going after M104 if you haven't already, it has the highest surface brightness of any of the larger galaxies that I can think of so should be the easiest to view. It takes high powers well and has high contrast detail to see.
Old 21-05-2023, 11:04 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Thanks Michael, that's a handy piece of info.
Old 22-05-2023, 09:09 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Hi Rod.

Yeah this smoke has been a killer recently hey! When trying to observe galaxies, sky darkness and transparency are paramount. For reference my backyard sky is a 6/7 on the bortle scale. Finding galaxies is difficult for me too, and I'm using a 10 inch dob! What I've found is that the smaller ones ( under around 10' in size) and brighter than 11th magnitude I can observe from my backyard in my scope. Moderate magnification of at least 185x enables me to spot the faint glow and also works to darken the sky.

Another way to maximise your chances of observing galaxies is to observe them with no moon around and while they are as high up as possible ( IE at or near culmination). M104 in Virgo is a good suggestion, also NGC 3115 in Sextants has quite a high surface brightness. M 83 is visible in my 10 inch as a moderately bright glow for reference.

Oh another thing that helps in picking out faint objects, averted vision, looking at the object from the side as opposed to direct vision. I find galaxies and gaseous nebulae are the toughest objects to observe in light polluted skies. Good luck, have fun and let us know how you go!

Clear Skies
Joe
Old 22-05-2023, 03:58 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Thanks Joe, I'm thinking of making an observatory out of some freezer panel walls l have excess to requirements, then l can sneak a 10' or bigger in haha. Not worth the risk.

There's a supernova in the Pinwheel galaxy at the moment, I'll keep at it with the 5" and big magnification.

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 22-05-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 22-05-2023, 08:36 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Thanks Joe, I'm thinking of making an observatory out of some freezer panel walls l have excess to requirements, then l can sneak a 10' or bigger in haha. Not worth the risk.

There's a supernova in the Pinwheel galaxy at the moment, I'll keep at it with the 5" and big magnification.
Nice one Rod! Yeah that supernova in M 101 is getting all the press at the moment, unfortunately for us it only culminates at 3° above the horizon so is essentially invisible . Oh well, at least we still have our incredible southern skies
Old 22-05-2023, 10:21 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

I see l got my wires crossed. I've been searching for M83 and saw the news about M101 Supernova. When you said 3° above horizon l was thinking what the heck?
I'll keep my little OTA pointed to the heavens for M83.
Old 22-05-2023, 11:17 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Break in the clouds didn't last long. I got to NGC6231 (Caldwell 76) which was visible as a fuzzy blotch using 2" GSO 30mm and again with 2x barlow. (Or was l looking at the eclipsing binary system just next to it I'm too green to know?)After checking with Stellarium and seeing the magnitudes l was not looking at NGC6231 as it would not be a fuzzy blotch, I'm going with alien mother ship.
Then again with 1.25" GSO 20 and 15mm with a 2.5x barlow.
The 15mm with barlow was 200x magnification and l could just get focus in an average sky condition.
I'm enjoying it, that's all that matters.
I will get the Southern Pinwheel galaxy. Fingers crossed for the next two nights, it won't be cloud free but l will be home alone with no work to get up to.

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 23-05-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old 23-05-2023, 08:30 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Nice report Rod!

We are all cheering you on in your quest to see M83, I know you will see it eventually! This is the thrill of the chase, and it's so satisfying once you succeed. Either way main thing in Astronomy is to enjoy and have fun, which you most definitely are

It looks like we will have a run of four clear nights from Wed, I just hope that dreaded smoke doesn't rear it's ugly head!

Nice to know you are enjoying your adventures in the night sky, I'm three years into this wonderful hobby and the sense of discovery, wonder and awe is only intensifying! Please keep us posted once you discover M83 the Southern Pinwheel and continue to enjoy the journey

Cheers
Joe
Old 26-05-2023, 07:26 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

It's a little bit smokey thanks to those kahki wearing, bearded koala stuffers, but M83 is at It's zenith early.
Hopefully around 9pm onwards I'll be out there, looking up.
Old 26-05-2023, 10:47 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Was a great short observing session this evening.
Packed it away at 8.30 due to work commitments in the morning and needy family (it's good to feel wanted).
Did l or didn't l?
I think l did.
I found a few candidates but nothing that had a central core that l could definitively say, that's a galaxy.
Using my 2" 30mm gave me 40x magnification which enable me to star hop.
Then a 1.25" 15mm for 80x magnification, then with a 2.5 barlow for 200x. Could just manage to focus.
The sky was very clear, had my dew heater cranked right up as everything was getting wet, quickly. Lens stayed clear and dry.
The only thing left to do is crank up the magnification to 150+ and look at every dot in the area of sky.
I know l was looking in the right spot as there are so many bright stars to jump off and triangulate from, most with the naked eye or the 10x50 spotting scope.
What l need is an observing buddy.
Old 27-05-2023, 11:46 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Was a great short observing session this evening.
Packed it away at 8.30 due to work commitments in the morning and needy family (it's good to feel wanted).
Did l or didn't l?
I think l did.
I found a few candidates but nothing that had a central core that l could definitively say, that's a galaxy.
Using my 2" 30mm gave me 40x magnification which enable me to star hop.
Then a 1.25" 15mm for 80x magnification, then with a 2.5 barlow for 200x. Could just manage to focus.
The sky was very clear, had my dew heater cranked right up as everything was getting wet, quickly. Lens stayed clear and dry.
The only thing left to do is crank up the magnification to 150+ and look at every dot in the area of sky.
I know l was looking in the right spot as there are so many bright stars to jump off and triangulate from, most with the naked eye or the 10x50 spotting scope.
What l need is an observing buddy.
Hey Rod, it sounds like you got it mate!

Where abouts in Perth are you? Maybe we can meet up and observe together one day. I need an observing buddy too

I was also out observing from my backyard last night, mainly around Scorpius. Some fantastic sights there! It sure was cold last night though hey?! Happy stargazing mate.

Cheers
Joe