Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Conrod (Kevin)

Black mountain Queensland

Hi all, First time posting here. Up to now Alison and I are looking at the sky through binoculars and want to get serious and learn more, maybe buy a good scope. 62 now and retired to Black mountain Queensland. Anyone near here who could spend a little time mentoring or point us to the nearest Astronomy club. We saw the sun through a scope for the first time today at the Cooroy Mountain Festival. We wish we had taken the guys details, too late now.
Old 18-10-2016, 09:34 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

G day Kevin n Alison, to IIS.

Lotsa good people advice n info here, so dive in n look around especially the sticky threads above.

i gather your Black Mtn is near Coroy, as is Astro Ron (might even have been the fella at the festival?) and there is an active Sunny Coast group - see 'star parties, clubs and community events' forum. a great way to get some mentoring and importantly try before buy. Also check out Astro Pete's shop in Brisbane. http://www.astropetes.com.au/

for me there isn't much better than; some astro knowledge + dark clear sky + a biggish dob + no work in the morning

most of my stuff is second hand through the classifieds here - i do the research then wait for it to come up. (there is a dob for sale @ Atherton Tablelands - road trip holiday to pick it up? tho good luck getting clear skies there I luv dobs 'cos; i don't wanna take my own photos (i enjoy other's), best aperture bang for $$, low tech n simple to use and own, big yes - but portable for me.

regards and again welcome, Lindon