Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-02-2006, 08:44 PM
bob sheehan

mount advice needed

I am relatively new to astronomy and have just purchased a Vixen 114ED OTA. I have a Denk 11 bino and don't know which GO-TO mount and tripod to buy for taking to club dark sites. I have looked at the HEQ 5 Pro with skyscan, EQ 6 with Skyscan and the Vixen Sphinx with Starbook. I lean towards the HEQ 5 Pro but just don't know. Any other mounts to consider?Any advice appreciated. PS The lack of current download availability worries me with the Vixen.
Old 26-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

The main question to ask is how seriously do you plan to get about astrophotograpy? (If you were purely visual, you could consider an alt-az mount with an Argo Navis.) The other question is how much dosh you want to spend?

Brian.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Jonathan

Hi Bob,
I'd consider an alt/az mount like Brian suggested, but only if you have no desire to try your hand at astrophotography. Otherwise any of the mounts you have listed would probably do a good job. I have an EQ6 with SkyScan and it's not a bad thing. I have had some minor problems with it but they're quite a solid mount and certainly worth considering.