Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Vision of the moon

Hi everyone. Tonight is the first time I've seen the moon through my scope. How awesome is it!!! It was only a small part of it, but who cares. I showed my wife and children. I'd have shown my dog too I was that excited. I'm hooked even more now. Bloody mozzies are bad though.

Anyway, my question is:

The bright side of the moon looking with the naked eye up at the sky was on the left, when looking through the scope, the bright side was on the top. Should the bright side be on the right? I've got a reflector scope.

The moon kept disappearing toward the top of the scope eyepiece but was moving south west in the sky.

Can someone please help me understand this?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Hi Scott.. Great news on you first look at the moon. The moon is best seen when it is not full as it allows you to see more shadows as the sunlight is sticking from the side.

The mirror effect is normal with your scope and you will get adjusted to it. Let's face it, in space there is no up or down. If it worries you I think you can purchase an errecting prism that will put it all around the correct way. I have not ever used one, so others on the forum may be able to give thier opinions. Just do a search on Google.

I am happy you joined us with your intervention. We will help you with your new addiction.

Mardy
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
Hi everyone. Tonight is the first time I've seen the moon through my scope. How awesome is it!!! It was only a small part of it, but who cares. I showed my wife and children. I'd have shown my dog too I was that excited. I'm hooked even more now. Bloody mozzies are bad though.
Yes Scott, it is addictive. Yes the mozzies/sandflies/etc are a pain. Being covered in repellant and wearing long sleeves and trousers on hot nights is par for the course.
Quote:
Anyway, my question is:

The bright side of the moon looking with the naked eye up at the sky was on the left, when looking through the scope, the bright side was on the top. Should the bright side be on the right? I've got a reflector scope.

The moon kept disappearing toward the top of the scope eyepiece but was moving south west in the sky.

Can someone please help me understand this?
Up/down and left/right are a function of the number of focal planes, lenses and mirrors in the light path. Here is one brief explanation with images. Which direction the image moves in the FOV depends on the inversions, the type of mount, and if the mount is tracking on how accurate the tracking is.
Old 16-01-2014, 02:09 PM
ClearSkiesTV (David)

If they thought the moon was good, wait until you show them Jupiter and Saturn. Sometimes the simple things are often the best.

Regards
David
Follow on Twitter @clearskiestv
Old 16-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

We have been looking at Jupiter the last few nights. It's only small but I can see it's moons (some of them). My wife has had a look and for some one who reckons they don't care, she was impressed. My children weren't too keen on Jupiter but I'll keep trying to show them.
Old 16-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

I'm waiting for Saturn to come around so I can check it out.