Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-10-2021, 12:20 PM
HarryD (Greg)

Riddle me this........

Ice in Space is a very good forum for different ideas. The cohort is eclectic to say the least.
So riddle me this:
Why do people buy black cars in a hot and sunny environment like Australia?
Why do people, especially 4WD diesel drivers, sit in their vehicles at lookouts, beaches etc, while idling? I have seen people do this for more than 30 minutes.
Why do people accelerate down a short hill, about 50 metres, only to have to apply the brake because there is a T intersection at the bottom of the hill? This occurs on too many occasions to count outside my home.
I know everyone is different, but I am bewildered.
Some witty and amusing responses would be great.

Cheers Greg
Old 14-10-2021, 12:36 PM
raymo

Sorry, not witty or funny, but a black or other dark coloured car is fine where i live, many cloudy cool days, just a brief [7 or 8 weeks] summer of 28-33 deg
degrees. Regarding lookouts, they are running their heater/air con as required.
raymo
Old 14-10-2021, 12:37 PM
RB (Andrew)

Greg, there's only one right answer to all these...

"I like turtles"

RB
Old 14-10-2021, 01:04 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Greg, there's only one right answer to all these...

"I like turtles"

RB
Where do they come from? Where do they find them.
Old 14-10-2021, 01:08 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Where do they come from? Where do they find them.
...from the World War Z movie set, I suppose.

Old 14-10-2021, 01:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
Ice in Space is a very good forum for different ideas. The cohort is eclectic to say the least.
So riddle me this:
Why do people buy black cars in a hot and sunny environment like Australia?
Why do people, especially 4WD diesel drivers, sit in their vehicles at lookouts, beaches etc, while idling? I have seen people do this for more than 30 minutes.
Why do people accelerate down a short hill, about 50 metres, only to have to apply the brake because there is a T intersection at the bottom of the hill? This occurs on too many occasions to count outside my home.

Cheers Greg
Black looks "tuff" and if you have a 4wd you are of course tuff.

They sit in their vehicle because for many it is an image thing and if not in the vehicle and on the beach the image disappears...motor running...these folk are not stupid..its to run the air conditioning..and a benefit is they are actually saving the planet by burning up that terrible fosil fuel...

AND accelerating down a hill is rather obvious because you are using gravity to assist acceleration which because the vehicle is going faster the brakes cool faster..it is all so logical.

When at the doctors waiting for my carer to get her second covid jab there was a 4wd beside me with a lady at the wheel, came into the doctors parking lot left the motor running ( and the air con) and sat there for 30 minutes texting... did not go into the doctor and just left.

At one point I went to get out of the car and seeing me she moved her car a foot forward...I have yet to figure out why??? as the distance between the vehicles did not change...but she gave me a very big smile..
Alex
Old 14-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
So riddle me this:
1:Why do people buy black cars in a hot and sunny environment like Australia?
2:Why do people, especially 4WD diesel drivers, sit in their vehicles at lookouts, beaches etc, while idling? I have seen people do this for more than 30 minutes.
3:Why do people accelerate down a short hill, about 50 metres, only to have to apply the brake because there is a T intersection at the bottom of the hill? This occurs on too many occasions to count outside my home.

Cheers Greg
Answers 1: Black cars look cool and menacing, particularly with tinted windows and in Melbourne winters they are great to warm the bones.
2: Why are you staring at people idling their engines at lookouts for 30 minutes? that's kind of weird and creepy
3: It's fun! it mimicks an amusement park ride
Old 14-10-2021, 04:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I reckon 9 times out of 10 , if someone is in a carpark with a view of the beach , and the engine is running or what seems an eternity , they’re probably checking out the surf
Have a peek to see if the boards are on the roof or in the back of the car , van or 4WD. If no boards can be spotted , they’re probably locals who check it out first , then go back home a few minutes away and grab their board.
I too have been guilty of that unusual behaviour
Cheers
Martin 🏄🏻*♂️