Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 09:37 PM
TheCrazedLog

Newbie post (again =D): 8 vs 10

Heya fellas:

After some time away and some thinking, I'm back... again

After some umming and arring, I'm tossing up between and 8inch and a 10inch Dobsonian:
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6739
or
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6993

I've seen around "bigger = better", and the extra 2 inches will help a lot.

Being in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney, I'm not in the darkest place in the world.

THoughts on either of of those?

Questions I have though:
1) What happens if I decide this isn't for me after I shell out something like 800 buckaroonies for me scope? Where can I sell it? What price should I ask for it?

2) Dobsonian mounts: I have heard rumblings that it is difficult to track stars with them, and they wander out of viewing very quickly.
It sounds a bit odd to me. Is this true?

Many thanks!

Anthony
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I'd recommend the 10". Having owned 8, 10 and 12" solid tube dobs I think the 10" is the best all-rounder. But the 8" is a lot more mobile. Take it to parties move it around easily from back yard to front up and down stairs in and around, and sometimes even by, intoxicated folk. Couldn't do that with the 10", which for my personal use is the best though.

If you look after the scope you can expect to sell it for between 2/3 and 3/4 of what the cheapest price around is at the time.

One quickly gets used to manual tracking with the Dob mount. It's rarely an issue with deep sky objects which are viewed at low to medium powers. Takes a little practice with planets at high power but it becomes second nature after a while. When I look through a tracking scope (of which I own one) it feels like there is something wrong with objects just sitting there motionless in the FOV.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Welcome Back!

The NSAS (Northern Sydney Astronomical Society) have viewing nights regularly(?) at the Turramurra Golf Course...

I'd encourage you to contact them and get out and see a few scopes before you buy...I'm in East Lindfield and would be happy to show you my gear once I get it all unpacked (we just moved into a new house)...

There is also a group from this site that meet monthly (or so) up at Kulunura (towards Gosford from Sydney)...usually a few different types of scopes are there and there is pretty good company and the hedgehogs (smoked or not) are outstanding!

To try and answer your questions...

#1 You could sell it here...and yes, just like a new car once a telescope leaves the shop it declines in value...

#2 at "normal" magnification it is not difficult to track (by hand) an object in a well set up Dobsonian...it does take a bit of practice but it is not difficult.

Clear Skies!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

go the ten, but like the guys say, off to a viewing night to get hooked 1st