Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Smile Happiness is ......

Happiness is a cloudless, moonless, mild night with a new Nexstar 6SE. Thank you Melbourne new year's eve. I could not have celebrated better!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

So tell us Robert what did you observe on that wonderfull night.....CheersKev.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

As the sun was taking a header in the west, I saw the clouds just evaporating before my eyes. I knew that tonight was the night! Out with the 'scope and set up in the back yard. First job, align the finder scope. What better than a crescent moon - nice and large and easy to find. Oh what a moon it was! Soooo bright (have to get a moon filter). The Venus appeared not far away and I quickly lined up on that. Half full phase clearly visible although atmospheric disturbances caused a lot of shimmer. Noworries so far. Then Canopus appeared - let's try the finder. Bang on. Oooh, there's Sirius - now for an scope alignment - 2 star. Seemed to go smoothly, scope software reported success. Now the test - find Rigel for me. Whirr went the coffee grinder , er slew motors, and the scope developed a mind of its own and swung in the general direction of Orion. A peep through the lens showed it had missed, but not by much. A slight adjustment of position and there it was. Tracking too!
Over the course of the next few hours I played around with the alignment issue, but I fear the problem is my eyesight and glasses and not being able to accurately centre the image in the eyepiece. Perhaps a higher mag eyepiece would assist. Enough on that.
Just had to look closely at the great nebula in Orion. Quickly found it and spent much time moving around. Saw the Trapezium shining brightly in it's midst. It was amazing how quickly time flew. Spent some time just getting the "feel" of the scope and moving around. So I guess, didn't get to see a great variety, but spent a good time learning about my new toy. Wife came to look too!
I was really impressed with the clarity and brightness of the optics of the scope, even though they are quite basic. Orion is barely visible to the naked eye, the sword virtually non-existent.
Come on more clear nights, but not tonight. The clouds rolled in again this morning and looks like they'll be around for a few days to come.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

very nice indeed, and congratulations, you choose your instrument with your head and brought the best scope. that is the scope that you will use the most.!

In the great orion neb, you can use it as a indicator to how good your seeing is, because there is actually 6 stars that compose the trapizium, though the other 2 need good seeing and decent magnifications good luck and keep those reports flowing in.

Brendan
Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Robert9 (Robert)

Thanks Brendan. I used a lot of great advice from you and others in this forum, in making my choice. You're right, it is the scope I'll use. I'm looking forward to the incredibly clear skies at Harrietville at the foot of Mt. Hotham where, this morning, it is -3°C.

My viewing from home is actually quite restricted by trees and buildings, my clearest path runs north south with a FOV of about 50° to the east and west. So I reckon I'll get the most use for the scope on my travels.

Next need is for a couple of eyepieces. I have only a 25X at the moment. Since I wear glasses, I'll be looking for a good eye-relief. Any recommendations please - without breaking the poor old bank balance!
HNY
Robert
Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

hehehe, well there are many different things you can do, but the thing is that everybody is different.

The best thing to do i belive is get yourself a 2x barlow, this will turn your 1 ep into 2 giving you the same eye relief.

To be honest i have seen the difference between a $50, $100, $400 ep, and let me tell you there is a grand difference. with option a, they are reasonable they give reasonable views though targets have to be dead center or you might have some fuzzy bits, option b is a bit better, things like eye relief become longer (which is what you want for your glasses, basically the longer the eye releif is the further away you can be from the lens of the ep and still get the same viewing. and the last option well it speaks for itself money generally = quality.

As for my personal collection/experiences I have the standard skywatcher eps in 10mm, 26mm, 40mm with a 2x barlow, and have access to 20mm, 26mm, 2"-40mm Meade Series 5000 and a 2" ED barlow. Even though my little ep's are good and do me well, the difference in clarity to the series 5000 meades are very noticeable!

So what am i saying? get the best ep that you can afford and couple it with a barlow lens and that should get you over the line . Let us know your budget and we can all suggest some ep's
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
PCH (Paul)

Yep, - ditto what Brendan said.

For my 2c, I'd say settle for a couple of decent ep's - say Televue plossls at around $150 (ish) each rather than aim for a whole set that you'll probably never use. If you like, you can then complement them by buying a 2x barlow and get double the range. I'd recommend a 10 to 15mm and a 24mm as well as a barlow.

And, as you've noticed, the more expensive ep's definitely give better views.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Yes, a 2x Barlow and one other seemss to be the best option. Which brand/type? I've looked at the Televue and a few reviews and it seems they are a little short on eye relief. A possibility might be the Celestron X-Cel series, say a 12.5mm for $155 and their Barlow at $195 Oooh, that's $345 - might have to wait a bit . Anyway, are these any good?

Just paid $300 today for some garden mulch. Broke my back shovelling the stuff too. Oh, where have my priorities gone?

Just finishing off my dew-heater. Where on the scope should I place this? Over the plastic end supporting the corrector plate, or just behind on the metal tube?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

there must be cheaper barlows..try andrews...you will find you may not use it as your ep set grows...but I bet the one you are using will be maybe the size you come back too...when i started i had to have heaps of ep 6mm particularly to get higher mag..it seems to me that more light is what i prefer now
good luck but stop wasting money on garden mulch things will grow faster and that means more sore backs
alex
Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

put the dew cover where it sits best it is no big deal...but if you can baffle it...mine are baffled and i think it helps contrast...look at hubble they baffle past the secondary and i feel they may have the right idea.

alex
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Robert9 (Robert)

Hi Alex,

My question concerns the positioning of a small electric heater band wrapped around the front-end to prevent dew formation. Is this what you mean by "dew cover" or do you mean the hood that I also use as a shield over the front of the scope (ie a lens hood).
Also I don't understand what you mean by a "baffle". Could you explain further please?

With regard to lenses, if I use a cheap Barlow then I might as well get cheap eps. Surely the ep will only be as good as its poorest component?

Unfortunately, in Melbourne, water is scarce and we have to conserve it to retain our green gardens as opposed to dust-bowls. We just don't get the rainfall you experience in north-central NSW. I'll just have to put up with a sore back from time to time.

Robert
Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

Like i said i have seen the difference between many ep's you get what you pay for.

As for your dew heater, it should go right up near the corrector plate in my opinion. There is a great artical in the projects and Articals section -> Dew hutch, and it explains why dew forms, and then from this you can make your decision as to where the best place should be.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

I had the heater mounted over the corrector plate support tonight. Seemed to work OK, (Wife made a nice little jacket for my resistor strip.) but then I don't think there was much dew about anyway. Harrieteville (in a couple of days) will be a different matter.

Had a peep at Alpha Centauri tonight, way down low in the south. A bit distorted by the atmosphere but was able to resolve the doublet. I can see I need a few more mags. A 10mm and a 2x Barlow are pushing hard.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

get a nice meade 5000 20mm ep, and you will not be upset. get a good barlow to suite.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Compared to the Celestron X-cel series, the FOV on the Meade is 5° greater which is excellent. But the eye-relief (e-r)on the Meade is only 14.8mm, compared with 20mm on the Celestron. This is maintained throughout the Celestron range, whereas the e-r on the Meade eps decrease with decreasing f.l. eg. its down to 10.4mm on the 14mm ep.

How would you compare the image quality of these brands of ep Brendan, given that they are in a similar price range?

Since I wear glasses, would the eye-relief available on the Meade be adequate.

Just reading back through the thread, I think I may now have answered my original Q. But would nevertheless always be interested to hear any further comments.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

I can not comment on the celestron ep. though i can on Meade, Optex/synta, Pentax, Nagler Pentax ,Nagler and Optex well thats like the difference between a 3000 a hour and a 100 dollar a hour .........

Ide kinda rate them like this

1, Pentax/Nagler (depends on your scope and your needs/wants)
2, Meade
3, Optex/synta

15mm e-r isn't that bad at all, i have seen people use glasses with the meade eps and definately with the pentax/naglers. Yes as the fl goes down so does the e-r, a way to combat that is barlow your eps.!

a 2x barlowed 15mm will produce a 7.5mm ep but with a 15mm characteristics.
a 3x barlowed 15mm will produce a 5.omm ep but with a 15mm characteristics.

There are loads of ep reviews in the ep section of this site, that might give you a insite into other peoples views and opinions. hope that helps.

Last edited by xstream; 06-01-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: edited, not necessary
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Thanks Brendan. I'll follow up when I get back. Off tomorrow - black skies here I come! (after the moon has set) Whoopee!