Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Sciencekid (Marshall)

Telescopes for kids

Hi I am getting a telescope for my 7th birthday and would like to know where I should start? I have $300 to spend. Mum has been looking at the SAXON F1149EQ Newtonian Reflector Telescope and it seems OK. I love science and we are learning about space at school. ( mum is typing for me)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Rod

Hi Marshall,

Welcome iceinspace! It's great you checked here before buying a telescope. It's important to get advice before buying one. I would suggest you avoid equatorial mounts for your first scope. They are great for photography but complicated to set up. You want something that is easy and fun to use. I think a small dobsonian is the best way to go. You can probably get a 150mm telescope for that money like this one:

http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...oductview.aspx

You may be able to find something like that closer to where you live and save postage. I am sure someone else can recommend a shop in WA.

Good Luck!

Rod
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

If you would like to have a scope that you can use by yourself, with hardly any help from Mum and Dad, a Dobsonian mounted scope is best.
To set it up, all you need to do is plonk it (gently) on the ground, put an eyepiece in, and away you go.
The EQ mounted scope you are interested in is rather more complicated. To set up, first you need to do a rough polar alignment. Then, as you change position to look at a new object, you'll find the scope has changed to a position where you cannot look through it, so then you have to loosen the rings of the scope so you can spin it around to a better position. I'd hate you to lose interest in your scope because it's a pain to use.
I see that Bintel have some nice Table Top Dobsonians for around $200 for the 100mm version and $269 for the 130mm model.
http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...3/catmenu.aspx
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 PM
mozzie (Peter)

hi marshall

i have just bought a kson table dobsonian for my seven year old son.bought it from astro optical supplies in sydney very happy with it ,quality is quiet good all i did was just put some decent plossel eyepieces for him....it's just a starting point in astronomy you can always get better as you grow with astronomy....
spotted comet garradd,centauraus A,jewel box with it no worries,lachlan loves to look at the moon with it as well... hope this helps..
Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Great idea to ask for advice from IIS before you start!

What about a set of 8x50 binoculars, and a copy of Heaven's Above, A binocular guide to the Southern Skies by Robert Bee?

It might be difficult for you to hold the binocular steady, so why not add a binocular tripod adapter.

Just remember to never look at the sun through anything (eg. camera, magnifying glass, binoculars, telescope)

Cheers
DT
Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Hi Marshall and
Try the astro shop Binocular Telescope and optical World at Malaga,
they are good guys and will put you on the right path
I hope you enjoy the use of what ever telescope you eventualy buy
Cheers