Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Jim and Roey (Jim)
Starhill

LX200 alignment problem

My LX200R (I brought it from the northern hemisphere, and then reinstalled the 4G software) has long been resistant to acknowledging that I am in the southern hemisphere. However two days ago it would not even allow me to do a normal two star alignment to reorient it so that I could observe.When I selected a star, it immediately started pointing downward. When I hit the keypad to stop it from continuing, it immediately chose another star and slewed again. I could not get it to break this pattern other than by turning off the machine. Does this suggest the software has become corrupt? If so how do I go about reinstalling? The Meade website does not appear to have any instructions or thoughts on the matter. If someone is familiar with the situation, and would like to give me a call at (07) 5498 1364, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the situation and possible solutions.

Thanks
Old 14-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Dealy (Kev)
straight to the Pool Room

G'day Jim

I had the same problem with mine for a while and mine came from oz.

Make sure your start position is tube horizontal pointing north, with the control panel facing south.

I think I went into settings (I can't remember exactly where in the menu) and changed the location to where I am.

I then did an auto alignment where it does all it's toing and froing, up and down, back and forth etc. Then I parked it and turned it off.

When turned back on it was fine. Never had a another problem.

Kev
Old 15-05-2015, 08:41 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Jim
The scope should have no problems hemisphere wise
as the system will just get a GPS fix, and deduce data from the latitude.
Also how are you mounted?? AltAz or Polar.
Just check the correct mode is selected in the hbx.
Also, for the currently selected site in the hbx
just check that the time zone is correct, as that isnt updated by the GPS.
If the mode and TZ is correct and you get a GPS fix, and it still misbehaves, there are some other tests that can be done

Andrew
Old 16-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Jim and Roey (Jim)
Starhill

LX 200 alignment problems

LX 200 alignment problems.
I think both of you for your replies. And Andrew, I agree, if everything is in order, it should just work. It doesn’t, and has never acknowledged I’m in the southern hemisphere. I usually cheat, and sync a couple of stars, and go from there for the night. However the other night when I hit the alignment, and pushed the go to button, it immediately slewed downward. I hit the keypad to stop it, and it immediately selected another star and began slewing before I could react. I hit the keypad to stop it. It again selected another star and took off. I had to turn off the power at the box to control it. I could not get it to acknowledge any alignment attempts.

You said there were some other tests Andrew. Please let me have them!

Jim
Old 16-05-2015, 07:06 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Jim
Going from memory, if you hold mode down for about 5 seconds, it will abort the aligning process, but again, have you used the hbx to check that your location and timezone etc are correct???
That is the normal reason for oddball slew directions.
If you press and hold mode for about 5 seconds and release, when in a std menu, an alternate menu will appear that will show your current latitude/longitude, date/time etc.
Check that is all correct first.

Andrew
Old 16-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Jim and Roey (Jim)
Starhill

LX200 alignment

Andrew,
I have just been out in the observatory for an hour and a half, though we have totally cloudy skies, just to experiment with the general alignment matter.
First, I did get it to align successfully, and pointing in the direction of Jupiter and then Arcturus. I then put it in park scope, turned it off and back on. According to the LX manual, when it comes back online it should read automatic alignment, then you press mode, and just get on with your observing. However, I did not get an automatic alignment coming up. And could not get the scope to go in the direction it should have gone. When I checked my keypad menu, under setup, align, I cannot scroll through and find an automatic, but only easy, one star, two star, and align on home submenus. Do you have under set up align, an automatic show up when you scroll through, as the manual indicates should be there?

Jim
Old 17-05-2015, 08:40 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Jim
Quote:
I then put it in park scope, turned it off and back on. According to the LX manual, when it comes back online it should read automatic alignment, then you press mode,
On unparking, the scope should beep, attempt to get a GPS fix ( or ask you to enter the date/time), then go to the main menu.
At that point, it is ready to go.

Quote:
However, I did not get an automatic alignment coming up. And could not get the scope to go in the direction it should have gone.
So what did you get ( it helps if you describe what you saw )
What direction should it have gone in.????
Clear accurate descriptions help when doing this sort of stuff.

Quote:
I cannot scroll through and find an automatic,
I asked earlier how you were set up, and im still waiting for a reply, as that affects the answer. If you are set up Polar, Automatic is not an align option, and wont show in the menu. If you are mounted AltAz, but the firmware is set to polar mode, it wont work.
Soooo, again, can you confirm if the basic setup data is correct.

Andrew