Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Marcus

dark skies near melbourne

Hi,
I would like to spend a weekend out of Melbourne under some dark skies; however due to the people and ages (very young and quite elderly) coming with me, camping is out of the question and I need somewhere with reasonably comfortable accomodation.
I was looking at Creswick where there is a hotel , but while I'm happy to compromise on light to get somewhere to stay, between ballarat and bendigo it's probably a little too light there. Any suggestions within about two hours' drive?
thanks
Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Chris.B (Christopher)

The ASV have a property out from Heathcote. Out that way the skies are very dark. Should be able to find a spot near Mt Ida, Graytown or Michellton and stay at Heathcote or Nagambie.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

The Snake Valley camp is coming up. Not sure if any cabins are available, but if someone drops out they may come up.
The ASV site at Heathcote has bunkrooms (dormitory style from memory but you have to be a member.

Malcolm
Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hi,
I would like to spend a weekend out of Melbourne under some dark skies; however due to the people and ages (very young and quite elderly) coming with me, camping is out of the question and I need somewhere with reasonably comfortable accomodation.
I was looking at Creswick where there is a hotel , but while I'm happy to compromise on light to get somewhere to stay, between ballarat and bendigo it's probably a little too light there. Any suggestions within about two hours' drive?
thanks
Mark
Hi Marcus. I dropped out of the Snake Valley camp so maybe a spot there camping for you? Check the star party forum. Also, for $70 a year you can become of member of ASV, they have a dark site you can use at Heathcote