Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Dealy (Kev)
straight to the Pool Room

Greetings from Minmi

Hello everyone,

I just joined up and thought I’d say hello and introduce myself.

I’ve been interested in astronomy for 20 years or so since my first look at Mars through a friend’s 100mm refractor. His dad had a pair of 200mm mirror blanks which he gave to me on the proviso that I did something with them. For the next couple of months I was kept very busy grinding the mirror, making the tube assembly and stand, etc.

The result was (I think) pretty good, but kids came along and except for the occasional look at the moon I lost interest until a few weeks ago. I dragged out the scope, repaired the stand, gave it a quick collimation and here I am all keen and ready to get back into it.

I’ve never known much more than a few constellations, a couple of clusters, and a few moon craters but am now keen to learn a lot more.

This is a great forum and I’ve already learnt a lot from your comments and advice to each other.

Thanks in advance for the answers to my dumb questions.

Kev
Old 14-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Kunama

G'day Kev, Welcome , many members here come from the central coast, I think they get together regularly so try to go along to any meets.

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask .............. read that somewhere ...............
there is a vast store of knowledge among the IIS membership (sometimes you have to sift through it a bit, sometimes egos surface but overall it is an excellent place to dwell)
Old 14-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Welcome, Kev. You will get tons of advice and help here.
Old 14-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Allan

Hi Kev. Welcome back to astronomy. There are quite a few of us around Newcastle. Best thing to do is keep an eye out for the next new moon night at the Pony Club at Mangrove Mountain. Usually many great guys and telescopes to meet. Just keep looking out in the Star Parties section here.
Then there is the Newcastle Astronomical Society which meets on the first Friday each month at the Newcastle Uni. More nice guys and girls there with interesting topics each month.
Old 15-11-2013, 07:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Kev.

A few members live nearby Minmi too (Wallsend etc). Welcome to IIS!
Old 17-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Dealy (Kev)
straight to the Pool Room

Thanks for the welcome. I'll have to try and make it to a Astronomical Society meeting and see how the big boys and girls do it.