Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-01-2023, 02:55 PM
glend (Glen)

Cooled Cameras, not required for EAA

For people considering trying out EAA, you don't need to be concerned about needing a cooled astro camera. It's pretty much a given that EAA proponents use a colour camera, as fiddling around with filters, narrowband or colour, is just too much work to those that just want to enjoy watching an image come to life in seconds before their screen. EAA is about simplicity and enjoyment, and seeing much more in photo quality than visual astronomy can ever deliver.
I use an ASI294MC (the non-cooled version), and have had no heat related issues in the years I have used this camera. Of course my exposures are very short, then Sharpcap aligns them and adds them to the image stack. No darks, bias, flats, and all that time consuming fiddle faddle for me. The sensitivity of the 294MC make capture quick. I was running 15 second exposures last night, and that works just fine.
The issue I notice in the camera marketplace, is that most astro camera retailers do not carry the non-cooled ASI294MC, perhaps the margin is better on the cooled camera, or they assume no one wants the non-cooled version. I had to buy mine from Teleskop Express. A quick look online found only a couple of retailers with a 294MC in stock and I thought they were over priced compared to what i paid, albeit some years ago now when the 294 first came out. So look around if your after one, I know Teleskop Express still carries them.
The alternative might be the ASI183MC (non-cooled), which i noticed was used by a couple of EAA folks. I would suggest an ASI camera because Sharpcap just works so seamlessly with them. Have fun.
Old 18-01-2023, 04:28 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

I've tested out EAA using something as cheap as a 224MC with a 300mm f/4 Canon lens for a simple, lightweight EAA setup & it works well using 10s to 30s exposures, especially on smaller targets. As EAA isn't a search for the perfect image, the thermal noise from a non-cooled camera is insignificant, you will still get good stacked images that work well on a monitor.

My cooled camera is only mono, so not the best for EAA in general where people want to see the colour so it's either the 224MC or a DSLR. And both work for me. I am thinking about the 294MC non-cooled later for EAA & to simplify my RGB collection to compliment NB data.

Cheers,
Mark