Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2015, 12:53 PM
edelweiss (Eeda)

telescope like Dobsonian 8"

Hello everyone

Anyone knows any type of telescope that has same capabilities/specs just like Dobsonian 8"? I mean, from the perspectives of celestial objects that can be seen through it. I'm thinking of replacing my Dobsonian with other type of lighter telescope (other than Dobsonian type) since i no longer can lift heavy things (health problems). Thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Rick Parrott
Dexdoggy

Sorry, I'm not sure at all what would be an alternative, but you might be able to use a dolly board or, if stairs are involved, perhaps even keep your Dob stored on a hand trolley (with pump-up tyres) that are quite cheap these days?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:00 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

For its aperture and capabilities I'd say an 8" Dob is the lightest configuration you'd get. An 8" refractor would be a monster, not to mention unaffordable and any Mak, Cas or whatever would still be a heavy option.
The trolley idea suggested seems the best and cheapest option. Can you store it in a garage and just roll it out ? No lifting inolved, make a snug cover to keep it clean and dry.
I rebuilt my 10" into a much lighter truss configuration but that would be a major rebuild although I more than halved it's original weight. It was a heavy DIY build to start with.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

The closest thing to a 8" Dob is a 6" inch Dob. They are appreciably lighter and the longer focal ratio of the mirror may give a better corrected view, especially if only using budget eyepieces. I have owned both and rarely found that there was anything much more visible with the larger scope.

Other wise, an ED 80mm refractor on a altz mount may be suitable if your favourite targets are the Moon, planets, double stars and the otherwise brighter showpiece objects. One of their strong features is that they are ready to go; they really do not require any significant cool down time before commencing an observing session, which makes them ideal if one wants to commence immediately.

However if fainter objects are you preference, then nothing beats having a larger mirror (or lens).