Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Brycepj (Peter)

New Binoculars or Telescope.

G'day everyone I would like your opinions.
I have a set of 10 X 50 binocs that I have been looking at stars planets etc. for the past 6 months. It has been really enjoyable. My question is "is it worth upgrading to 20 x 80 Binoculars or do I buy a Telescope."
The scope would need to be portable so I was thinking of a refractor.
My budget would be about $300 I alreaduy own a tripod so larger Binoculars would be ok. some idea of brands would also be helpful.
Old 17-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycepj View Post
G'day everyone I would like your opinions.
I have a set of 10 X 50 binocs that I have been looking at stars planets etc. for the past 6 months. It has been really enjoyable. My question is "is it worth upgrading to 20 x 80 Binoculars or do I buy a Telescope."
The scope would need to be portable so I was thinking of a refractor.
My budget would be about $300 I alreaduy own a tripod so larger Binoculars would be ok. some idea of brands would also be helpful.
Hi Peter,

Binoculars with powers over 10x usually require a tripod, unless you are exceptionally steady, or you have some form of stabilisation. Stabilised binoculars are quite expensive and are not really suited to astronomy, from my experience, as the stabilisation doesn't work well above certain angles and when pointing directly up. I have used Fujinon gyro-stabilised binoculars for astronomy and although very good, the police use them from helicopters, they weren't really suitable for astronomy, besides, they cost around 8k, and around 20k , with night vision tubes. The other form of stabilisation is electro-stabilised, whilst much cheaper, aren't as good as gyro-stabilised, although, they are much lighter.

If you enjoy the wide field that binocular views provide, you would be better off getting a good quality 60-70mm wide field scope. I use an Astro-Tech 65EDQ myself for this sort of work, which cost me $579, plus the star diagonal and eyepieces. However, a tripod, or mount, is definitely required. Of course, there are better telescopes available, but they come at a price.

In any case, a small scope will give much more comfortable viewing angles, if used with a star diagonal, as looking through, tripod mounted, binoculars can be a real pain in the neck.

Alternatively, you can get 45 degree, or 90 degree eyepiece binoculars in larger powers, however, these are usually quite expensive, and in some case, very expensive, for the high quality models.

Another option, is getting a good quality spotting scope, which you can use on a normal photographic tripod. See the April 2014 edition of Sky and Telescope, as that has a good article on using a spotting scope for astronomy. A 'good' spotting scope, mostly used by sports shooters and birdwatchers, can be quite expensive.

If price is a major factor, be aware that it is best to steer clear of cheap scopes, as some can be very disappointing, as is discussed elsewhere on IIS.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to get a scope, as you will be able to, readily, change eyepieces to vary the power. A word of caution here though, high power isn't important, resolution is a much more important aspect in a telescope.

Ask members opinions before buying anything and you won't go too far wrong.

Cheers Pete

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 17-04-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 17-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

It would be nice if you could try a pair. I don't have any trouble hand holding 15x70s and 18x80s, so I tend to use them more than my 20x80s. But I know that others have difficulty.

I also have 15x50s Image Stabilized, but while nice, I prefer the bigger aperture unstabilised.

Definitely though, I also think a good short tube refractor is a must.
Regards,
Renato
Old 17-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
It would be nice if you could try a pair. I don't have any trouble hand holding 15x70s and 18x80s, so I tend to use them more than my 20x80s. But I know that others have difficulty.

I also have 15x50s Image Stabilized, but while nice, I prefer the bigger aperture unstabilised.

Definitely though, I also think a good short tube refractor is a must.
Regards,
Renato
I'm glad you can Renato, I just shake like, well....you know what. My nerves have been shot since a motorcycle accident in 1999. Although it is only slight, I have permanent DT's now, and nary a drop of booze passes my lips.
Old 17-04-2014, 09:52 PM
raymo

I have the other problem associated with larger binos. My arms begin
to ache unbearably very quickly. Maybe youngsters don't have this problem; I can't remember. A good pantograph would take care of that though. Everybody's experiences are different, and I prefer the
steadiness of my 12x45 IS binos to the deeper views of my 12x70 non
IS ones.
raymo
Old 18-04-2014, 04:24 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
I'm glad you can Renato, I just shake like, well....you know what. My nerves have been shot since a motorcycle accident in 1999. Although it is only slight, I have permanent DT's now, and nary a drop of booze passes my lips.
That's very unfortunate.
I hate using tripods because I always get a sore neck sitting behind them - as I can only see partway up the sky with them. I get to see more by using the winding lever on the tripod, taking the binoculars higher, and leaning the tripod back on two legs. But I only do this with my 25X100 binoculars because I have to.

However, there is something else I do with my 15X50 non image stabilised binoculars. They are very light and so shake more than my 15X70s. I have them on a tripod, and I pick up the tripod in my hands and hold the binoculars to my eyes. The extra weight from the tripod steadies the image. But this holding the tripod trick won't work as well with 20X80s.

My thought is that maybe - just maybe - as you have been able to use 10X50s without too much problem, if you put a pair of 15X70s (say Celestron Skymasters or an Andrews equivalent pair) onto a tripod, you could use them either in standard mode with the tripod on the ground, or still get a good view by holding the tripod using the method I described (which should approximate the shakiness you have now with the 10x50s). And get less neck ache.

However, what I find equivalent (i.e hand holding unmounted 10x50s vs hand holding mounted 15X70s) may not be equivalent for you.
Regards,
Renato
Old 18-04-2014, 10:23 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

It is relatively easy to make a simple parallelogram mount. Here is mine I knocked up earlier this year http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=116122

They remove the need to hold the binos and if you can combine with a reclining chair make observing quite relaxing!

Malcolm
Old 18-04-2014, 10:34 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

i think a small scope would serve you better than binos -you need good heavy tripod & head combo to hold the weight of the 20x80 unless you do build the p-mount which adds some bulk.
a 90mm f11 refractor might suit -you should be ale to get it for your price range-this will give decent planet views, a 80ed which should have better optics might be just outside your budget, a 4" mak might also do the job-the maks are small & light and will go on photo tripods
Old 18-04-2014, 11:02 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

If you need something portable... a small collapsible dob would probably also be OK.
With your budget you could get a Skywatcher Heritage 130p for example. For its price and portability it is pretty good and also has good reviews.
Old 18-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Kunama

Hello Peter and welcome, You need a 10" dob, nothing else will do !!!!

. just kidding of course, there are many very nice and cheap refractors that will give hours of enjoyment,
looking back through the classifieds here, long focus Vixens with mounts have sold very cheaply.
They come up every now and then so patience will be the key.

Here is an example of a great little scope that sold recently:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ighlight=vixen
Old 18-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

By the way, what telescope were you thinking about getting? There are plenty of useable beginner ones just above your price range new - though I'd expect you'd be able to find them within your price range either here or second hand. You just have to know to avoid the useless ones.
Regards,
Renato