Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-12-2023, 10:17 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

BlurXterminator 2

Horrible edge stars with a really nasty RGB combined coma like aberration - "Correct Only" before and after
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BXT compare.jpg)
177.7 KB112 views
Old 15-12-2023, 10:52 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I use Startools for post processing and has Spatially Variant PSF Deconvolution ( SV Decon )
SV Decon been around for a couple of years now and works beautifully on any type of data set although cleaner less noisy data sets achieve a more superior result.

Have a read ……..

https://www.startools.org/modules/sv-decon

NB: SV Decon shouldn’t be used with other processing software as Startools is based on signal evolution active tracking from start to finish.

Cheers
Martin
Old 15-12-2023, 10:55 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Thanks Martin - will do.
But, very happy that the latest update of BXT will perform this kind of correction on my dodgy data in PI.

Last edited by dugnsuz; 15-12-2023 at 11:07 PM.
Old 16-12-2023, 01:31 PM
Stephane

Hey Doug,

Hope you don’t mind me contributing. Here’s an image I took a while back where my corner stars were messed up. I think BlurX 2 has salvaged it. The before and after is quite impressive. I still of course believe that quality image acquisition cannot be stressed enough, but it will come in handy to salvage those bad corners!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (9DAF05C1-2FFD-4D4A-AC0D-9BAFDAF5F81F.jpg)
139.5 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (40E0B238-3089-481C-B6A9-503E768ED002.jpg)
151.1 KB64 views
Old 16-12-2023, 02:38 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Good to see BXT2 has helped you out too Stephane.

I've struggled with those awful edge stars for a while - optics tested on Testar's bench and found to be all good. I get round off axis stars at the zenith but those coma-like stars return when I image at lower altitudes.
I'm thinking it's due to some play in the focuser with the 2600MM/EFW/OAG hanging off it - I have a Gerd Neumann CTU to test the tilt too at some time but in the short term, this software has really nailed the problem for me!

I'll continue to chase the best data though rather than relying on AI!
Old 17-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Estram (Michael)

I have been playing around with BXT2 on some of my old data over the last couple of days. There is a definite improvement over the old version, particularly with stars. Gives a good incentive to have another crack processing a few of my old images.

I know it can be a controversial tool - but when you have limited time for imaging, being able to salvage less than optimal data keeps the hobby fun and limits frustration.
Old 17-12-2023, 01:46 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estram View Post
I have been playing around with BXT2 on some of my old data over the last couple of days. There is a definite improvement over the old version, particularly with stars. Gives a good incentive to have another crack processing a few of my old images.

I know it can be a controversial tool - but when you have limited time for imaging, being able to salvage less than optimal data keeps the hobby fun and limits frustration.
Hi Michael - I try to use the non-stellar side of BXT sparingly - default setting certainly makes things look overcooked!

But what it does to those aberrant edge stars is magical
Doug