Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-11-2005, 09:53 PM
jakjak

Catadioptric scope/spotting??

I'm looking at purchasing a Catadioptric 65mm apeture and 835mm focal length - It is for my 8yr old for Christmas. Something that can be used to look @ wildlife but also to spark and interest in the heavens. I have spoken to Lee at Andrews communication (very helpful). He thinks a 70mm x 700mm refractor would be better however I like the portability of the little catadiopric scope. This type of scope is described as 'good for terrestrial and astronomical usage' - does anyone have experience with the Saxon or the brand Andrews communication bring in called North Star. Great site.
Old 22-11-2005, 10:12 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

jakjak!

Sounds like you'd want to go for a spotting scope...
Any particular reason for choosing a scope for a Xmas pressie for your 8 year old?
Old 22-11-2005, 10:16 PM
h0ughy (David)

well JakJak, without being rude, what is your budget? you might be better off with a nice pair of binoculars, say 12-36 by 70mm that lee andrews has for $149.00, and get a nice tripod to take them on better value!!. Don't waste your money on el-cheapo refractors or Catadioptric scope of that size. Normally you would start from 90mm and upwards for one of those scopes.
Old 22-11-2005, 11:35 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi JakJak, Welcome. Please don't be misled by the blurb in the manufacturer's brochure. If it's possible for you to attend an 'open night' or meeting @ your local Society/club, then I suggest you do this 1st. You will be able to look thru lots of diff. types there. Take notes...
Ask as many questions as you feel. All amateurs are more than willing to help.
As hOughie has said, a pair of 'xxxxxx'(insert 7 x 50 here), Binocs are a great way to start. A 'Planisphere' ($22), & a red LED torch are also nec.
The main reason for suggesting the Binoc's, is 'just in case the interest is lost'. You can always use Binocs. No great expense, but you may find it hard to sell the 'cheaper brand' t'scope......
HTH. L.
Old 23-11-2005, 03:31 AM
johnno

Hi All,

I would agree with all the previous comments,and add,a scope of that size, with its Narrow field of view,may tend to bore an 8 y/o fairly quickly,unless someone is prepared to keep it on track all the time.

A pair of binoculars with their far greater FOV would be the better option IMHO,however,I seriously doubt an 8 y/o would be able to hand hold ANY of them steady enough to view a night sky,REGARDLESS of magnification,
so with my limited experience,I would suggest any hand holdable binoculars,7x50 to 11x56,MOUNTED for the youngster,But still hand holdable for adults to use.

Regards.John
Old 23-11-2005, 08:30 AM
jakjak

Thanks everyone, don't know whether the binoculars are the go as child is pretty small.

Janokiss - the reason for the scope for xmas pressies is that child had asked for a telescope for xmas and the Catadioptric seemed to satisfy the "telescope" description but offer a little more versitility given previous interests in wifelife etc. We have an old pair of bioculars 8x25 that have been used by child but not to any great extent. Don't want to be giving large telescope to this child to the detrement of our other children ie the old north/south korea Thought that the catadioptric scope offered a go starting point.

Has anyone actually looked at the moon and planets through one of these scopes?
Old 23-11-2005, 08:31 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I agree with the others. A good pair of binocs and a tripod would be a great start and more versitile if the interest disappears.

Cheers
Old 23-11-2005, 03:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Yes you can see lots on the Moon with just about any scope. The planets through the 65mm scope will look like tiny disks and you will need to look long and hard to see any detail.

I guess the scope you are talking about is the one with the little table-top tripod and 30x-90x zoom eyepiece. It is probably not going to work for astronomy the way you might expect. At higher magnifications, it will be very hard to aim and then even harder to keep objects in view (with the Earth's rotation). For terrestrial applications it should do better. And you would enjoy viewing the Moon with it.

If your budget is under $200, and you want something for both astronomical & wildlife observations, a good pair of binoculars is the way to go. I know it does not have the novelty of a telescope, but the novelty will quickly turn into frustration the first night you try to point it skywards.
8x25 binos are too small in aperture to be useful for astronomy. You would need 8x40 at least, but better 7x50.
Old 23-11-2005, 03:36 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

As has been stated on this forum the view of the planets is very small,but isn't this so in most scopes? He will still get reasonable views of the moon and still see the rings of Saturn,don't forget the boy is only eight years old and I know for a fact that Binoculars don't hold the same !wow! factor as a telescope.
Most of us started with small telescopes, and because we wanted to see more continued in our hobby to upgrade, so I say get the small scope and see how he goes, he can still watch birds and ships and other things.
If he does'nt go any further then you havn't lost to much money and you still a have a telescope for the future.astroron