Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Hemi

Altitude of objects

Dear members, my observing site is restricted, and I get only a small portion of the sky. I've been observing objects fairly high in the sky. I was wondering how to calculate the maximum altitude an object will get in my sky. Specifically and currently I am trying to observe Andromeda Galaxy from Darwin (12S). It only gets to about 35 above horizon. I was wondering if it will get higher and when that might occur.

Cheers
Old 31-12-2015, 02:51 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Hemi, there are a number of very good planetarium programs available that will help. Two good free one that are worth looking at are Cartes Du Ciiel and Stellarium.
Old 31-12-2015, 04:39 AM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Dear members, my observing site is restricted, and I get only a small portion of the sky. I've been observing objects fairly high in the sky. I was wondering how to calculate the maximum altitude an object will get in my sky. Specifically and currently I am trying to observe Andromeda Galaxy from Darwin (12S). It only gets to about 35 above horizon. I was wondering if it will get higher and when that might occur.
Cheers
Hello Hemi
Andromeda is quite a northerly galaxy & setting north west dissapearing into twilight right now.
She'll be back in late winter due north( on the meridian) with highest elevation for your location 35 deg. appearing from 1st August 2016 around 4:00 am before sunrise. Then moving back in time as the months progress.
On November 1st 2016 the Meridian transit will be at around 11:30 pm.

You will get better views than I From my location Andromeda only ever gets an elevation of 11 degrees
Old 31-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

It really depends on the object, but you should have few problems with objects at that altitude above the horizon so long as it's out of any local light pollution.

The Andromeda galaxy is one of those objects that doesn't reveal a whole lot though...it's very large with fairly low surface brightness besides the core, and the cores of the satellite galaxies. It should be fairly easy from your latitude though, I've imaged it from just outside Brisbane and seen it above the trees as far south as the Blue Mountains!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:01 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Andromeda sits really high in Darwin. I viewed it 2 nights ago with my 10x50 binos from a light polluted street in Wanguri!

You can use your hands to calculate arcs of the sky. http://oneminuteastronomer.com/860/measuring-sky/

EDIT: I just read your original post again, only properly this time. If you have worked out that it's transit is around 35°, then that won't change a great deal. The time at which it happens will change, but not the altitude.

Clear skies.

Last edited by BeanerSA; 03-01-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Hemi

Thanks all,

Yes 35 degrees is high I suppose. It's just my house gets in the way in that direction, and Andromeda seems to rise, sit and set in a small section of sky, and direction.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 AM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Thanks all,

Yes 35 degrees is high I suppose. It's just my house gets in the way in that direction, and Andromeda seems to rise, sit and set in a small section of sky, and direction.
Can you take your scope out to Lee Point?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Hemi

Thanks everyone, yes Beaner I can get the scope to Lee point, have been thinking about doing that.....just the skies are so patchy and unpredictable currently and I don't have a cover in case it starts to rain. Had a quick session tonight....moved the scope as far back as I could and got to observe Andromeda as soon as it got dark...about 35 degrees altitude. It gets to low for me later. I found a tidy little app called Astrosky which charts graphically transit times, altitudes and direction for the year. I can't seem to find that info in sky safari, unless I just simply speed through time and virtually observe. Anyway Astrosky tells me that andromeda is as good as it gets currently (or near abouts) so am going to concentrate on it over the next few sessions.