Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-08-2021, 09:46 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Rub in in Enjoy for us and thanks for sharing your joy!
Old 21-08-2021, 10:50 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Ha ha ha Eric
Still perfect conditions outside Apart from all the details on the planets disc and rings, I managed to Identify 6 (possibly 7?) of Saturns moons! Titan, Rhea, Tethys, Dione, Enceladus and I think Iapetus? (which was a long way from Saturn!)..I think that's a first for me..? I kept thinking I could glimpse Mimas with averted vision too...hmmm?..maybe..?

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 21-08-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 21-08-2021, 10:55 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
☺...and saw a Wombat 😁
was it your rear reflection again......
Old 22-08-2021, 07:36 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Hey Houghy, does my butt look big using this Dob?

Another fabulous night. Shame about the Moon, knocked off around midnight, great views of Jupiter and Saturn . Always worried, what if the conditions up here weren't any good, what if it is cloudy all the time, or crap seeing?? Well, I havent imaged up here yet and so far only assesed during winter...but I think Ive seen enough now to be reasonably confident that this is indeed a pretty good site, that is dark, has plenty of clear weather, good seeing, low humidity and high transparency...thaaank God for that! of course, still have to experience the summer conditions ....just gotta get that observatory built now...with this bloody Covid19 around and inevitable lock downs, I think it may well take a while just have to enjoy the non astro aspects of the place until then

Last edited by strongmanmike; 26-08-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Old 22-08-2021, 08:20 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

"Always worried, what if the conditions up here weren't any good, what if it is cloudy all the time, or cap seeing?? "

What if I have to tell the missus after all these years of searching I got a lemon and the searching continues...

Well hopefully you'll get better sleep after the late nights of skyawesomeness now.

Might be worthwhile pointing out that between SAM, IDO we are getting way more moisture than normal past 14+months or so. Even if ENSO is neutral atm.

Steve
Old 22-08-2021, 08:36 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
What if I have to tell the missus after all these years of searching I got a lemon and the searching continues...

Might be worthwhile pointing out that between SAM, IDO we are getting way more moisture than normal past 14+months or so. Even if ENSO is neutral atm.
I was certainly quietly concerned Steve, I decided that surely it can't be tooooo crap..suuuurley???...I just put it out of my mind aaaand, well?.. hoped for the best I guess ....seems my hopes were not in vain phew!

What the heck are those acronyms?

Mike
Old 22-08-2021, 08:53 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello and sorry,

What the heck are those acronyms?

SAM - Southern Annular Mode (SAM) (real rough - Affects the latitudes that the moisture bands run across lower Australia.)
IOD - Indian Ocean Dipole. (real rough again - Moisture content)

They both play a major role in the amount and location of rainfall for SE Australia and feed in to ENSO which is La Nina El Nino etc.

Steve
Ps. Some of the moisture bands are considered aerial rivers now, with flow rates greater than the amazon river in some cases.
Old 23-08-2021, 06:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

SAM...surface to air missile according to what I was reading yesterday.

I have enjoyed this thread so much Mike.

Cant you borrow a small mount and get some wide fields out?

No moisture is a wonderful thing as the reason I gave up years ago was the frustration from just that.

Keep up the excellent commentary.

Alex
Old 23-08-2021, 09:40 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
SAM...surface to air missile according to what I was reading yesterday.

I have enjoyed this thread so much Mike.

Cant you borrow a small mount and get some wide fields out?

No moisture is a wonderful thing as the reason I gave up years ago was the frustration from just that.

Keep up the excellent commentary.

Alex
Hi Alex

Yeah I will bite the bullet soon and get something up here, just enjoying observing though actually, by far the best site I've had at my finger tips for an extended period and probably narrowly, the second best I have ever been under in nearly 40 years of observing ..wish I had a bigger visual scope

Was another perfectly clear but slightly breezy (10-15 km/hr) night last night, so not the best for unprotected visual and clear blue sky again this morning ..but blowing up here today.. 20-25km/hr average, gusting up to 50-60 km/hr 💨

Mike
Old 23-08-2021, 12:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes get a huge scope. You can do it and believe me things come up that stuff up the future we all put off.
You are a man, as evidenced by your remarkable achievements,that has proved that you can get things done...a 16inch aint that expensive just go for it...sell a kidney, refinance and get more cash...you only have to say that you are getting a bigger scope..Mike we have so little time never put off something you desire..and always ask. "on my death bed will I regret buying or not buying that bigger scope...
Stir up what you used to pull those trucks and no excuses...ok
Alex
Old 24-08-2021, 09:00 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Yes get a huge scope. You can do it and believe me things come up that stuff up the future we all put off.
You are a man, as evidenced by your remarkable achievements,that has proved that you can get things done...a 16inch aint that expensive just go for it...sell a kidney, refinance and get more cash...you only have to say that you are getting a bigger scope..Mike we have so little time never put off something you desire..and always ask. "on my death bed will I regret buying or not buying that bigger scope...
Stir up what you used to pull those trucks and no excuses...ok
Alex
....I like your advice Alex, eeeexactly!

Thing is Alex, there are already some not insignificant items coming and work to be done, in order to get my new, 21st Century, you-beaut imaging observatory up and running, that aaaaren't well?..err?..100% understood by the minister for finance (or I!) as yet ...Sooooo, like the gamble I took that this place was a good atro site, weather/conditions wise, I am also gambling that the inevitable negative reaction from hers truly, will be short lived and forgiving

But perhaps in the future I could work out a mutually beneficial deal, with someone who has an 18"+ sized dob, who would like to leave it on site
Old 24-08-2021, 09:45 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

As you know Mike...the world gets out of the way of a man who knows where he is going....
Alex
Old 24-08-2021, 09:57 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
As you know Mike...the world gets out of the way of a man who knows where he is going....
Alex
...after another great weekend up there, I am already missing it...I could become a reclusive mountain man, with a long straggly beard, eeeeeasily...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tinderry Peaks - resize.jpg)
50.3 KB30 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 24-08-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 24-08-2021, 10:11 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
...after another great weekend up there, I am already missing it...I could become a reclusive mountain man, with a long straggly beard, eeeeeasily...

Mike
You are getting a hint of my past life style...sleep is a day time activity...grow a beard for the grooming time you save.
Alex
Old 24-08-2021, 06:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

The Belt of Venus, Sunday night at Eagleview
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Full Moon at Eagleview.jpg)
44.9 KB62 views
Old 31-08-2021, 04:45 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Another amazing discovery...

Last weekend was so transparent at Eagleview, the views through my 12" Dob were spectacular...well I just tonight downloaded some photos I took from around the property that weekend...and looking closely, I discovered this!

From the back deck I had already worked out I can spot features up to 82km away...but!...sheesh! from the middle of the 100acres, the air was just so clear, you can actually see for 100km!..and pretty clearly too!....even some snow is visible on Wesley's slopes, yeah baby! that's just fricken phenomenal!

Using a Nikon D7000 DSLR with 18-200 zoom lens, the wide angle view was shot at 18mm FL, while the close up was shot at 200mm FL, both from the same spot.

100km View

It's no Atacama...but hey, the elevation, along with the clean and crisp, transparent mountain air, still enables views out to 100km!...This place just keeps amazing me...

Mike
Ooops!...I had another careful look at this aaaand realised I had identified the wrong hill ...that most distant hill visible in the photo is in fact Cup and Saucer Hill...which is only 94km away

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (View to Cup and Saucer Hill 94km resize.jpg)
105.3 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (94km view from Eagleview.jpg)
202.1 KB35 views
Old 31-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Wow! I am a bit late but...congratulations Mike What a great place to appreciate the night sky. Wishing you many many inspiring stargazing sessions and astro sessions at this beautiful and very unique location
Old 31-08-2021, 05:31 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Ooops!...I had another careful look at this aaaand realised I had identified the wrong hill ...that most distant hill visible in the photo is in fact Cup and Saucer Hill...which is only 94km away

Mike
I'm still gobsmacked by how great the place is. And all this < 3 hours from a capital city and < 1 hour from a major town.

Ever thought of sub-dividing to fellow astronuts?
Old 31-08-2021, 05:37 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Wow! I am a bit late but...congratulations Mike What a great place to appreciate the night sky. Wishing you many many inspiring stargazing sessions and astro sessions at this beautiful and very unique location
Thanks Suavi yeah I think I will have a few of those kinda sessions ...heck, I've had several already!! I really want a 20"+ Dob though... I do love imaging of course but I also love being outside, at a truly dark site, viewing our skies through, binoculars, a small scope and a big scope too...it's like camping or fishing, I love the connection with remote nature

Mike
Old 31-08-2021, 05:42 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
I'm still gobsmacked by how great the place is. And all this < 3 hours from a capital city and < 1 hour from a major town.

Ever thought of sub-dividing to fellow astronuts?
Well...funny you should say that ..I have indeed... such a magic location should be shared, in some way, for sure I feel like I am privileged and shouldn't hog all this...I have my thinking cap on, I'd love to have like minded people experience a location like this Maybe leasing plots, upon which you can do what you want, build an observatory, or just visit for cathartic dark sky viewing, as you like.... I have onsite good internet and phone connection etc...

There are several possible options......I have to get myself up and running first though...then..?.. who knows!

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 31-08-2021 at 06:01 PM.