Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-01-2014, 06:01 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Andrews

It looks like Andrews website has been suspended.
Does anyone know if they have got a new one?
Thanks
Old 22-01-2014, 06:25 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

I had no problems accessing it this morning. There website did day that it was updated on the 21/01/2014. Pherhaps it was temporarily inaccessible whilst being updated.

Paul
Old 22-01-2014, 06:56 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks, yes, it works fine now. I must have tried to access it just when they were updating it.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:08 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Hello,

Has anybody here ever paid Andrews by direct deposit? There has been no communication on their side since I paid one and a half days ago and then sent them the receipt number... I know it is not a long time and that it can take a couple of days for the payment to go through anyway, but I haven't paid this way for a long time (I always pay by PayPal these days) and I just read on the Internet direct deposit is not a safe way to pay?????
Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

before I got my Debt master card , I got many items from Andrews by direct deposit , no problems , the money shows the same day and goods dispatched the next .
Every item I have ever got from the classifieds here at IIS has been done via internet direct deposits and that's many , has gone thru no worries , you are safe until it is deposited into the sellers account , the banks guarantee it .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Hello,

Has anybody here ever paid Andrews by direct deposit? There has been no communication on their side since I paid one and a half days ago and then sent them the receipt number... I know it is not a long time and that it can take a couple of days for the payment to go through anyway, but I haven't paid this way for a long time (I always pay by PayPal these days) and I just read on the Internet direct deposit is not a safe way to pay?????
Old 07-05-2014, 11:15 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks. I should get my items soon then.

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 07-05-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Monstar (Johnny)

What are you buying OSG, just curious as you have/had the SW 130 Dob same as me.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:05 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Thanks. I should get my items soon then.
PS: I am not impressed with their customer service (maybe because I am used to Alan of skies_unlimited on eBay who is really helpful), but if I get my items it will be fine.
I've never had any problems with them or their service. Let them know your concerns re customer service, and I am sure they will respond appropriately.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

To Johnny: Yes, I have the same scope. I bought it from OzHut/OzScopes before Christmas for just $214 and am very happy with it for the price!

I just bought a couple of filters from Andrews...
Old 07-05-2014, 01:11 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
I've never had any problems with them or their service. Let them know your concerns re customer service, and I am sure they will respond appropriately.
There is only 1 email address on their site. The other one is for repairs.
But if I don't get my items by Friday I will certainly let them know, maybe by phone... It shouldn't take too long because we are both in NSW.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Have you given them a phone call? Emails can be slow to be responded to, by everyone, not Andrews alone. Email is not the most pressing communication system, unlike a phone call. Like all other respondents, I have never had a problem with them either. Mind you, I've only ordered things over the phone and only used email for enquiries that they can then respond to when they can.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Yeah they are quite slow via email but if you call or go in-store they will sort you out straight away.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Have used direct deposit with Andrews 3 or 4 times and goods were dispatched within 2 days. For small items they ship Express post so it arrives quickly.
Phone is quickest and ringing to ask if they have dispatched the item is always a good plan since they don't always ring you.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:55 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

The time it takes for a direct deposit to go through depends (amongst other things?) on whether you both have the same bank or different ones. If it's the same bank then the transfer is overnight, otherwise expect 2-3 days. I've also never had a problem with Andrews, though Lee used to be busier than a one-legged man at an arse-kicking competition, so getting him on the phone sometimes took several calls. I believe these days he has more staff and they more knowledgeable, so not every inquiry has to go to Lee.

Last edited by AstralTraveller; 07-05-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: ambiguity
Old 07-05-2014, 03:00 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks everyone for the replies. No, we don't have the same bank, so it might take a couple of days... But I will give them a call on Friday anyway if I haven't heard from them and the items have not arrived. Just to be sure everything is fine. (Maybe they are not writing because they don't want to say they are waiting for the money to get through...)
I think it would be cool if they had something like "My Account" for regular customers, and also to check the status of your order, but it might be difficult to put into practice... On the other hand it would save them time too I think because they would have less emails and phone calls to answer.

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 07-05-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:16 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

At Andrews if you want to talk astro ask to speak to Luke. The problem I have with going to the shop is trying to get away. Lee can talk the leg off an iron pot.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:13 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Oh, they just said they received the money today and that I should get my stuff tomorrow.
Yes, they probably didn't want to say that they were waiting for the payment to go through. It is an obvious thing of course, but it sounds a bit like "we must be sure that the money goes though just in case you are a scammer", so maybe some people prefer not to say anything until the deal is done...
Old 07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Just took a phone call, didn't it!

Nothing wrong with being prudent in waiting for a payment to appear before dispatching goods. I do this too when selling items here in the IIS clasdifieds. If your livelihood depends on this, you too would like to see the money first.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Actually I didn't even have to call. They sent me an email. I guess the payment had just gone through.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I got my filters...

But I just wanted to ask here about one before I ask them...

Does the attached filter look like a #8 light yellow to you? It is just that when I compare it to other #8 ly filters online it looks a bit too yellow to me, but I just wanted to be sure and ask here first because I don't want them to think I don't know what I am talking about. It is possible that there are also differences between brands. I wanted ly because I read (on Cloudy Nights) that #8/ly is good for CA, but they specifically say only LIGHT yellow. The ones I saw online look almost white, I don't know. Maybe it is just how they took the photos and they are essentially the same... It is difficult to judge when you never had one in your hands... I guess it will be fine.

Thanks for your opinion!

Edit: Viewing Mars through the filter was nice though. I had a quick look (quick because it is freezing) and it looked nice and crisp. I don't have ANY other yellow filter, so I am happy anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1999b.jpg)
24.9 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2002b.JPG)
52.1 KB9 views

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 08-05-2014 at 09:16 PM.