Old 03-07-2022, 06:09 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

My Rant

I used to like going out in the Car, especially if going to the Glass House Mountains or some other nice place to visit.
I go see my Grandson ( Ethan 2years old at Toowoomba )...or to Yarrabilba where my other daughter lives.

So, whats up Col .... Is it just me getting old and cranky.
Everywhere on the road, I am constantly tail gated by other drivers....especially by big SUV's / Tradies rushing about in their big Hi-Lux's / Amarocks / Ram's and other sorts of everyday vehicle.

I sit on the speed limit all the time as road infringements / fines are astronomical now.
I drive in the left lane so as to let others go by ...but cars will still persist to ride on my back bumper.....trying to push me faster.

On the M1 heading to the Gold Coast, the mind boggles at the stupidity of drivers ' tail gating ' at 110kph.....I've see the result of 6 car ' pileups ' because of this driving behavior....I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY for these idiots .....it's all rush, rush, rush from the time they get into their cars.

It's very intimidating at times and down right dangerous...if I had to brake suddenly for whatever reason, the vehicle behind me would slam straight into me...no hope at all of stopping.....this is how a lot of people drive up here.

Anyhow, I'm off to have a Valium ...or 2
Old 03-07-2022, 06:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Col I know how you feel.

When I was younger it really ticked me off such that I would slam my brakes on and go into a full slide and then chase them to run them off the road and smash their faces in...I never caught one..well one when I was 19 actually there were two of them in the car but I only smashed one of their faces in as I calmed down before I could get the other guy... but that is another story ...

Later in life after a slam the brakes on full slide event my partner asked me not to be so aggressive so I bent to her request and I must say staying calm and not letting them annoy you is the way to go.

Certainly you could try slamming on the brakes and pull a full slide but probably dont have anyone else in the car.... otherwise just dont let them get to you...the real damage here is letting someone..anyone... take away your peace and enjoyment but of course it is really not then taking away anything it is actually you doing the damage to yourself and taking minutes of happy life away...it is your choice no one elses...getting upset is not wise or sensible...after I got it together a mate had similar issues with tail gaters and drivers who in his eyes caused him problems. I suggested he just say to himself. "goodness some people can be silly sausages" now somehow that seems to settle one down and you have a little laugh...and to this day when we encounter anyone that could be upsetting that is how we manage it.

alex
Old 03-07-2022, 06:45 PM
glend (Glen)

Col, in my experience the M1 from the NSW border to Brisbane is the absolute worse road in Australia. Everything you have observed and more, particularly the idiots cutting across three lanes at high speed. And yeah, driving at a reasonable speed will get you tailgated. Whenever I drive up to visit my son's family in Brisbane, I arrange it so that I avoid using that road before 11am and after 2pm; and frankly it's still crazy in that period. I am about to make the trip again and I dread it. Last year it was pretty good (thanks to Covid), and the trip up through NSW refreshing, but the closer I got to the Tweed the nuttier the traffic became.

Last edited by glend; 03-07-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Something I noticed on my bi monthly Sydney trips back when...was folk would pass you and the reduce speed to sit right in front of you such that you need run into them...I always had cruise control on so it is easy to realise they slow up.
Silly sausages.

Alex
Old 03-07-2022, 06:59 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Must be something in the Water eh .....

Quite agree with you Glen

Tell you what, I have come so close at times to putting my foot thru' the firewall of my Mazda 6....visions of the brake pedal grinding up the bitumen as I slam on the brakes .

Col.

Last edited by FlashDrive; 03-07-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:10 PM
RyanJones

If you’re in the Left and doing the speed limit then you’re going all you can Col.

For those who travel in the right at 20km under the speed limit through ignorance or self righteousness often but not always in B-double trucks, you’re probably creating the frustration that is being taken out on poor Col.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-07-2022, 07:11 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Get even with them.
Slowly slow to 90kph then to 80kph.
If they're still tailgating - slow to 70 then 60.

Keep a tactical shovel in your boot.
Regards,
Renato
Old 03-07-2022, 07:25 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Get even with them.
Slowly slow to 90kph then to 80kph.
If they're still tailgating - slow to 70 then 60.

Keep a tactical shovel in your boot.
Regards,
Renato
And upset 100’s more down the road. Becoming a problem doesn’t solve one
Old 03-07-2022, 07:37 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Dear Poppy Col,
As you well know, the left lane in Queensland is actually the fast lane, the average Queenslander likes to drive in the right lane at 10 or 20 Kph under the limit. I often found the fastest way from Milton to Mooloolaba was to stay in the left lane no matter what…..

So you’re actually in the fast lane when you travel……. Now get into the right lane with all the other locals !
Old 03-07-2022, 07:52 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Dear Poppy Col,
As you well know, the average Queenslander likes to drive in the right lane at 10 or 20 Kph under the limit.
Yep...seen that happen a lot...very frustrating indeed ...!!
Old 03-07-2022, 08:01 PM
alpal

Hi Guys,
it is terrible driving on the roads these days in Melbourne.
Many drivers :
don't have the skills required,
they have poor judgment,
think they own the road,
many don't care about changing lanes,
they drive too fast,
they are always tailgating,
must be on drugs or alcohol to drive the way they do.
are impatient even when there's a red light ahead
in which case their impatience won't gain them a single second in their journey.

This is a good YouTube channel to see them in action -

Dash Cam Owners Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKe...xVLIYRQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/DashCamOwnersAustralia

Last edited by alpal; 03-07-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:05 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
don't have the skills required,
they have poor judgment,
think they own the road,
many don't care about changing lanes,
they drive too fast,
they are always tailgating,
must be on drugs or alcohol to drive the way they do.
are impatient even when there's a red light ahead
in which case their impatience won't gain them a single second in their journey.
It’s probably Col.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 PM
alpal

Quote:
It’s probably Col.

Let's hope no one sees themselves in the dash cam videos?

Old 04-07-2022, 12:58 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Nah ....not me Lads
Old 05-07-2022, 09:32 AM
blindman (human)
Now I see !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Must be something in the Water eh .....

Quite agree with you Glen

Tell you what, I have come so close at times to putting my foot thru' the firewall of my Mazda 6....visions of the brake pedal grinding up the bitumen as I slam on the brakes .

Col.

Yes, FLUOR is in the water, making you more stupid every day and obedient.
Mr. Adolf experimented a lot in camps.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Yes, FLUOR is in the water, making you more stupid every day and obedient.
Mr. Adolf experimented a lot in camps.
You really need to stop drinking so much water just to prove your point.

Alex
Old 05-07-2022, 11:45 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post

This is a good YouTube channel to see them in action -

Dash Cam Owners Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKe...xVLIYRQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/DashCamOwnersAustralia
I've 'wasted' 20 minutes per month on that site for many years. It's a horror movie! I'm glad to say that I haven't experienced, in 47 years of driving, any of the worst behaviour displayed on DCOA and I only very rarely see behaviour which would 'pass muster' to be shown on the monthly highlights. Perhaps I'm just lucky but also there are a lot of cameras out there which only collect 15-20 minutes of 'good stuff' per month. I tend to refer to those who get on the highlights as the dumb 'people' of Australia .

I think you can separate the culprits on the videos into three main categories. First there are a small number of reasonable drivers who just have a bad moment. If their reactions are caught on camera they tend to be embarrassed and apologetic. We all make errors as we drive, mostly pretty small ones that have no consequences but once or twice in my life I just haven't noticed a stop sign or a car I should have seen earlier is suddenly too close to me. Thankfully it has never lead to anything (except perhaps a scowl from the passenger's seat) but these days I could easily wind up in the highlights video.

Secondly there are those who are just technically inept and shouldn't be driving. They often feature in car park waltzes where they take 5, 10 or 15 shuffles to get a car into or out of a parking spot, or fail to reverse park after 6 attempts, or hit parked cars, wind up in the garden or, in one delightful case, wipe their expensive boat off the trailer by hitting a post while accelerating rapidly out of a carpark.

The third category, however, is by far the largest and it is drivers with a poor *)&%(%in' attitude. These are the pushers and shovers, high speed passing on back streets, the cutting off, running red lights, the wrong way through roundabouts etc etc. They are always angry and will blame and abuse the drivers they have wronged - lots of bird flicking. Doubtless some are drunk or drugged. In one case an apparently tired driver ran off the road to the left, recovered but wound up on the wrong side, got back into their lane and continued down the road drifting from side to side. Bad attitude. These people shouldn't be on the road. Some might be having a emotional meltdown due to stress, trauma or whatever. I hope they recover but while they are not in control of their emotions they shouldn't be driving. However I think the majority of angry, rude drivers on the videos are just too far gone to ever be on the road. We have probably all met people who are just angry at the world. In their mind someone is always doing something to them or has done something for which they must extract revenge. They tend to walk around muttering to themselves. Of course many of these type do things which see them off the road (banned, injured, imprisoned) but I wish there was some way to screen for a bad attitude before someone gets hurt.

I've tried to notice whether drivers of certain types of car are over-represented in the videos but I can't say I'm convinced. One month there might be an abundance of crew-cab utes (my mate hates these and their drivers) but the next it's hot fours or V8 utes or clapped out wrecks or just ordinary plain family cars. Mostly heavy vehicle drivers are the victim of the idiots but one month there was four total clangers from semi drivers.

Just to finish on a lighter note. There was a convertible sports car driving on a motorway when it started raining. So they stop in the right hand lane, raise the roof and then continue. No sense of entitlement there.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:25 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
And upset 100’s more down the road. Becoming a problem doesn’t solve one
The problem is the guy tailgating you when you're doing the legal limit on a multi-lane highway. You can choose to take sh#t from that driver, or force him to switch lanes and overtake - whereupon you speed up again.

Temporarily slowing down in the left hand lane is legal and shouldn't be an issure for other drivers - as there are plenty of others doing the same thing, especially those with trailers, caravans, horse-floats and some trucks.

If it isn't obvious, some drivers tailgate as power trip on their part.
They want you to speed up and go over the limit, you make them slow down, or make them change lanes and go past you instead (while abusing you with gestures).
Regards,
Renato
Old 05-07-2022, 03:51 PM
blindman (human)
Now I see !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
You really need to stop drinking so much water just to prove your point.

Alex

Just to let you know that i have reverse osmosis water filter system.
No fluor, no chlor, no heavy metals, etc.

Attack is not very good defence system.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Just to let you know that i have reverse osmosis water filter system.
No fluor, no chlor, no heavy metals, etc.

Attack is not very good defence system.
That sounds like a wonderful water system you have there and certainly suggests you are worried about what "they" may put in the water...are you actually worried about what they put in the water? Do you know something we don't?

Me I drink tank water do you think it is safe if boiled?

Your last line is too profound for me to grasp but I certainly have heard many times from various folk skilled in battle that "attack is the best form of defence" I am surprised that you havent heard such...should I believe them or you?

We are getting more rain here and I just can't understand why?
Any ideas?

At least I have plenty of fresh water.

But today I had a big truck right on my tail and it reminded me of this thread and that it was not really about water.

alex