Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #41  
Old 21-06-2021, 08:31 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 14,373
My experience with a wind generator has not been good and are not worth the effort.

Get a small genny (700watts) for $400 and that can help your old system batteries whilst you plan a new set up...go for 24 or 48 volt and talk to Rainbow Power Company at Nimbin who I believe are undeniably the best in the business... beware of all "cheap" offers on batteries or solar gear and put it off as long as possible as you will change your ideas on what you need over time...using a genny for a while will prove very smart.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 21-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)
Registered User

Startrek is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,702
Mike,
Incredible location !!!
An astrophotographers paradise , enjoy your life long dream ....
I think Bortle 1 from those photos
In the Winter, how do you stop the mount mechanics and scope focuser from ceasing up in sub super zero temperatures ? Thermal wraps ? Iím sure you have it sorted
Cheers
Martin
PS: Puts my little south coast NSW observatory to shame ( although Iím still grateful to have one under Bortle 3/4 skies )
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 21-06-2021, 09:37 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
My experience with a wind generator has not been good and are not worth the effort.

Get a small genny (700watts) for $400 and that can help your old system batteries whilst you plan a new set up...go for 24 or 48 volt and talk to Rainbow Power Company at Nimbin who I believe are undeniably the best in the business... beware of all "cheap" offers on batteries or solar gear and put it off as long as possible as you will change your ideas on what you need over time...using a genny for a while will prove very smart.

Alex
Thanks Alex, we have a decent 5.5KvA generator to top up the batteries as needed and yes, I have heard of Rainbow.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 21-06-2021, 09:57 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Mike,
Incredible location !!!
An astrophotographers paradise , enjoy your life long dream ....
I think Bortle 1 from those photos
In the Winter, how do you stop the mount mechanics and scope focuser from ceasing up in sub super zero temperatures ? Thermal wraps ? Iím sure you have it sorted
Cheers
Martin
PS: Puts my little south coast NSW observatory to shame ( although Iím still grateful to have one under Bortle 3/4 skies )
Hi Martin.

My current gear has worked flawlessly down to -6degC or so and it has done this a few times...yes, it may get a little colder than that up at 1500m on occassions but not hugely so I wouldn't imagine..? maybe -8 or -10degC occasionally..?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 22-06-2021, 07:42 AM
mura_gadi's Avatar
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

mura_gadi is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canberra
Posts: 209
Hello,

Hard to say for sure, but, I would be surprised with that height and exposer if you not under estimating things a little. The winter wind chill factor will be awesome at times. I know the Canberra area has gotten a lot warmer in the past 30+ years, but still... me thinks it will be more like Dalgety than Canberra up there over winter.

Weather records for Mount Ginini are more what I would be thinking, but drier.

I'm very happy to see such as awesome site getting a lease of life at astronomy though.


Steve
Average number of days with temp. for Jun/Jul/Aug at 2degree or less - 26.4/29.5/28.2 for Mt Ginini. Drier area should get you slightly better days.



<

Last edited by mura_gadi; 22-06-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 22-06-2021, 08:29 AM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

Hard to say for sure, but, I would be surprised with that height and exposer if you not under estimating things a little. The winter wind chill factor will be awesome at times. I know the Canberra area has gotten a lot warmer in the past 30+ years, but still... me thinks it will be more like Dalgety than Canberra up there over winter.

Weather records for Mount Ginini are more what I would be thinking, but drier.

I'm very happy to see such as awesome site getting a lease of life at astronomy though.


Steve
Average number of days with temp. for Jun/Jul/Aug at 2degree or less - 26.4/29.5/28.2 for Mt Ginini. Drier area should get you slightly better days.



<
Certainly agree on the wind chill bit had a couple'a days/nights when the winds felt almost like reverse Katabatic!!

Lots to discover in my new environment....

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 22-06-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 22-06-2021, 09:07 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)
Registered User

Hans Tucker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,695
I look at that 'Snow at Eagleview' photo and all I have running through my head is Ramin Dwajadi's 'Winter has Come' theme from Game of Thrones.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 22-06-2021, 10:01 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 14,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Thanks Alex, we have a decent 5.5KvA generator to top up the batteries as needed and yes, I have heard of Rainbow.

Mike
That is a big genny Mike.
You should have a lot of power left over I expect...work out what goes to charge the battery and what is effectively wasted and you will probably find that in addition to charging the battery you can run a small electric heater which it would seem would not be unwelcome.
Keeping your batteries warm is a very good idea. This may be of interest.
I am about to instal a better hot water system...Rainbow have an item that stands between, dedicated, solar panels, and your hot water service such that the solar panels provide power to heat the water in your standard electric hot water service....this saves having a solar collector to heat water on the roof thereby avoiding a great deal of plumbing,..instead of water pipes you have electric cables..a huge consideration given the difficulty of getting a plumber in town let alone in the bush...here the hot water is made via a fuel stove but cutting wood becomes very second hand after living in the bush for a while...the irony here, sitting on 100 acres of plantation timber, is that the girls actually buy firewood...it is cut and delivered to the door..half my life at the old place was driving my truck all over to bring back logs which had to be cut etc...buying it is not that silly when you work out the costs..chains saw truck etc.

Anyways it will be a wonderful experience and as many have said I cant think of anyone more deserving and it is so much in keeping with your role model standing in that you will give so many others a dream to aim for and that is about the best we can do as decent humans.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 22-06-2021, 10:43 AM
CalvinKlein's Avatar
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)
Registered User

CalvinKlein is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Cudgen NSW
Posts: 168
I haven't posted here in a long time Mike but this is well worth coming out of the woodwork for.
Congratulations on the awesome find ! I immediately thought of Hilters Eagles Nest in Band of Brothers.
Whenever I am driving around in western NSW and QLD I always look for elevated astro shooting locations preferably 800m plus and always wish I could buy some property on a hilltop.

I look forward to following your progress.

Cheers, Kelvin.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 22-06-2021, 11:05 AM
Bart's Avatar
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Bart is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 981
Well done, Mike. Looks lovely, hopefully it works for you and yours! Big thumbs up from me.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 22-06-2021, 12:16 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
I haven't posted here in a long time Mike but this is well worth coming out of the woodwork for.
Congratulations on the awesome find ! I immediately thought of Hilters Eagles Nest in Band of Brothers.
Whenever I am driving around in western NSW and QLD I always look for elevated astro shooting locations preferably 800m plus and always wish I could buy some property on a hilltop.

I look forward to following your progress.

Cheers, Kelvin.
Ha ha yeah, me too and I am sure many others on here, always imagined finding a bit of acreage with a hill on it....sheesh, in the end, I got a whole mountain!

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 22-06-2021, 12:22 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
That is a big genny Mike.
You should have a lot of power left over I expect...work out what goes to charge the battery and what is effectively wasted and you will probably find that in addition to charging the battery you can run a small electric heater which it would seem would not be unwelcome.
Keeping your batteries warm is a very good idea. This may be of interest.
I am about to instal a better hot water system...Rainbow have an item that stands between, dedicated, solar panels, and your hot water service such that the solar panels provide power to heat the water in your standard electric hot water service....this saves having a solar collector to heat water on the roof thereby avoiding a great deal of plumbing,..instead of water pipes you have electric cables..a huge consideration given the difficulty of getting a plumber in town let alone in the bush...here the hot water is made via a fuel stove but cutting wood becomes very second hand after living in the bush for a while...the irony here, sitting on 100 acres of plantation timber, is that the girls actually buy firewood...it is cut and delivered to the door..half my life at the old place was driving my truck all over to bring back logs which had to be cut etc...buying it is not that silly when you work out the costs..chains saw truck etc.

Anyways it will be a wonderful experience and as many have said I cant think of anyone more deserving and it is so much in keeping with your role model standing in that you will give so many others a dream to aim for and that is about the best we can do as decent humans.
Alex
Sounds like an interesting approach re the hot water...and yes, arhem, I just had 3ton of split firewood delivered on site too ...will cut and split my own over spring/summer, then stack to cure, ready for next year...well that's the plan given the extent of woodland on the 100acres.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 22-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Graman (GR)
Registered User

Graman is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17
Exquisite spot for stargazing...when is the site-warming star party?!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 22-06-2021, 12:41 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,778
Cool spot for astro. So you'll still be residing in Canberra and this is your astro getaway or you're moving in?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 22-06-2021, 12:54 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graman View Post
Exquisite spot for stargazing...when is the site-warming star party?!
Yeah I'm thinking about it...there are so many bloody things going through my head at the moment, things to do, plans to make aaarg!! Maama Mia! ...the excitement is almost painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Cool spot for astro. So you'll still be residing in Canberra and this is your astro getaway or you're moving in?
Yeah it's an ultimate getaway at the moment, hard to give up cirty apartment living above a World class micro brewery .... ..just yet

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 22-06-2021, 01:42 PM
mura_gadi's Avatar
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

mura_gadi is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canberra
Posts: 209
Hello,

Did I hear star party!

Have to see what the missus thinks of taking on the books for a few powered/unpowered sites 2 weeks a month!



On a more serious note however, look into geopower(?), basically outside the glacial caps, the ground is 18degree 3m or more depth. Well worth considering taking your cold tank water through the ground for a few meters to help with heating costs.

Its an Australia idea and has a thorough website to talk you through everything from heating your pool/house/water tanks to cooling your water/house if you live in the tropics.



Steve'
Ps. If you have trouble finding it from my bad description let me know and I'll send you a link. Its all dependent on your total flow, difference in water temps etc, on how long the pipes need to be. But you could technically run water radiators at 18 or so degree for the cost of a closed system water pump.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 22-06-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 22-06-2021, 01:45 PM
alan meehan's Avatar
alan meehan (Alan)
Registered User

alan meehan is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: maryland newcastle AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,651
well done farmer Mike only in oz just to get away from the neighbours
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:10 PM
Rainmaker's Avatar
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Rainmaker is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canberra
Posts: 380
I still want to know what promises you made to Angie to get her to agree to buy 'my' place ?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:22 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I still want to know what promises you made to Angie to get her to agree to buy 'my' place ?
Sorry Matt ...but winners are grinners

Confucius say "always be nice to man with big dob"
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:22 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,056
You might want to be there several times to know the usual direction of the wind. At my dark site its almost always from one direction - NE. I have lost quite a few nights due to heavy winds. But wind is likely to be seasonal or for a few weeks and then nothing for a while. Hard to predict it.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement