Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #61  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:23 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You might want to be there several times to know the usual direction of the wind. At my dark site its almost always from one direction - NE. I have lost quite a few nights due to heavy winds. But wind is likely to be seasonal or for a few weeks and then nothing for a while. Hard to predict it.

Greg.
I'm with ya on that Greg

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:33 PM
mura_gadi's Avatar
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

mura_gadi is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canberra
Posts: 209
Ha'

I'd go one step further, bolt the obs down and leave it empty for the windiest month of the year or close to. Then see if it's still there at the end of the month, move the gear in post wind test...



S.
Ps. no idea if this is accurate:
https://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/mount_ginini

Not surprising considering your top of the continent, nothing to stop, break or interfere with the general rotation winds, and seasonal influence for N/S variation.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 22-06-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 22-06-2021, 03:07 PM
BC
Registered User

BC is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jerrabomberra NSW
Posts: 213
I'm not a regular poster but your story is inspiring. We spent 10 years, 20km outside Queanbeyan at 900m on a hilltop where I could see the Tindery Mountains. It's where I got into astro due to the phenomenal skies but yours is at another level altogether. Our prevailing winds were W or NW but that will become evident. Your excitement is infectious as you can tell by the number of responses. Have fun, Bruce
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 22-06-2021, 04:27 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC View Post
I'm not a regular poster but your story is inspiring. We spent 10 years, 20km outside Queanbeyan at 900m on a hilltop where I could see the Tindery Mountains. It's where I got into astro due to the phenomenal skies but yours is at another level altogether. Our prevailing winds were W or NW but that will become evident. Your excitement is infectious as you can tell by the number of responses. Have fun, Bruce
Cheers Bruce, nice to hear that My excitement may well be interpreted as bragging by some, or some form of blowing my own trumpet etc but as you and hopefully most others have thankfully identified correctly, that's not where I am at, or coming from, it's just exciting to share such a thrilling situation with others, who understand the feeling, would feel exactly the same in my shoes and can join in and run with someone else's good fortune, without jealousy or negative envy...love'yas all ...if all else fails just enjoy the nice colourful pictures ..like you would a brochure describing some cool AirB&B

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 22-06-2021, 05:42 PM
Camelopardalis's Avatar
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Camelopardalis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
…like you would a brochure describing some cool AirB&B
Glad you brought that up Mike…when are you starting to accept bookings

Such a great story of following your hearts and coming up trumps anyone who can’t be happy needs to slap ‘em selves
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 22-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,673
An interesting and promising adventure for you Mike, I am sure it will produce lots of happiness for you both.

A friend and I have just purchased a 63kwh battery system and 5.5kw solar panel system for $29K for our imaging business project at Swan Reach. It will provide 3 days of power without charge, though we will be installing a 11KVA back up generator too, so power will never be an issue. If that sounds ok, let me know and I will put you in contact with the guy I am going through. I believe we can supply anywhere in Australia.

You will certainly get great seeing there regularly and the skies will be darker than you are accustomed to for sure. I look forward to the results you obtain and I am certain those results will be excellent (sky colour aside ). It is certainly an astrophotographers dream to image at altitude, anyone who says they wouldn't is just not telling the truth.

One thing that would concern me though is fire risk in the area. Last years fires I believe are just a sign of things to come and your pictures would have me scared silly with the fire risk ( love the Australian bush and I have spent years in it, so I am not a hater). Living in the Adelaide hills is bad enough with three exit points, but your location looks like a whole different kettle of fish to me. Is there a strategy there? (sorry if this has been discussed. I don't have time to read all four pages.)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 22-06-2021, 11:45 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Glad you brought that up Mike…when are you starting to accept bookings

Such a great story of following your hearts and coming up trumps anyone who can’t be happy needs to slap ‘em selves
He he, yeah mate, I know if I was reading this story, about someone else, I'd be beaming form ear to ear for sure, recognising the totally unique situation, that we just don't hear about in OZ and imagining the options possible if it were me

I guess we all feel and respond differently to others fortunes, largely dependent on our own inherent nature, interpretations and personality

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 22-06-2021, 11:49 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
An interesting and promising adventure for you Mike, I am sure it will produce lots of happiness for you both.

A friend and I have just purchased a 63kwh battery system and 5.5kw solar panel system for $29K for our imaging business project at Swan Reach. It will provide 3 days of power without charge, though we will be installing a 11KVA back up generator too, so power will never be an issue. If that sounds ok, let me know and I will put you in contact with the guy I am going through. I believe we can supply anywhere in Australia.

You will certainly get great seeing there regularly and the skies will be darker than you are accustomed to for sure. I look forward to the results you obtain and I am certain those results will be excellent (sky colour aside ). It is certainly an astrophotographers dream to image at altitude, anyone who says they wouldn't is just not telling the truth.

One thing that would concern me though is fire risk in the area. Last years fires I believe are just a sign of things to come and your pictures would have me scared silly with the fire risk ( love the Australian bush and I have spent years in it, so I am not a hater). Living in the Adelaide hills is bad enough with three exit points, but your location looks like a whole different kettle of fish to me. Is there a strategy there? (sorry if this has been discussed. I don't have time to read all four pages.)
Thanks Paul, appreciated, I am right now in the process of negotiating a good solar system upgrade for our site (sufficient to power the house, future extension and observatory)

As far as fire goes...well..that's what insurance is for, it's as simple as that for me... Of course I will institute some fire retarding mitigation approaches none the less

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 23-06-2021, 12:45 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
As far as fire goes...well..that's what insurance is for, it's as simple as that for me...
Insurance is ok for material things but still got to be careful with family and yourself. Some of the trees in your aerial shots look like they felt a little heat at some stage although the place has a few grass areas and many cleared spots.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 23-06-2021, 01:22 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Insurance is ok for material things but still got to be careful with family and yourself. Some of the trees in your aerial shots look like they felt a little heat at some stage although the place has a few grass areas and many cleared spots.
You are quite right Marc, still, plan is to get out before any fire front is on us. I feel I would be unlikely to stay and fight any dangerously close fire, especially should it approach from the heavily wooded North. We are on a fire trail with two exit directions and there is an RFS station outside our immediate neighbours house, on our property access road, the RFS comms tower and shed is actually on our property) ...but all genuine concerns worth planning for Oh and yes, the tall dead snow gums you can see sticking up over the subsequent tree growth, were killed in the 2009 fires that went through this area.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 29-06-2021, 10:27 AM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
I have been trawling the internet looking for observatory ideas...

I showed this to my wife Angie and asked...buuuut she shut me down immediately ...I mean sheesh , I thought it would look great at Eagleview and be perfectly appropriate....

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sphinx_Observatory.jpg)
201.8 KB53 views
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 29-06-2021, 10:49 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 14,371
Dont be put off...she no doubt likes it in principle ..its probably the colour..change the colour and I am sure she will be onside.
I thought from the photos that there is a dome there already???
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 29-06-2021, 12:19 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Dont be put off...she no doubt likes it in principle ..its probably the colour..change the colour and I am sure she will be onside.
I thought from the photos that there is a dome there already???
Alex
He he yeah, I'll try that

I photoshopped my current observatory into the photos, in two possible locations that I identified, before actually spending time on site, just to get an idea. I have since identified a couple more possible locations on the 100 acres though...so, we will see

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 29-06-2021, 12:34 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 14,371
Please consider a roll off as I found it rather neat having lots of room (mine is 3.8 x3.8). I have a bed and desks and even a nice little deck...although I suppose you will take your dome.

Anyways please keep stuff coming as I for one love seeing you get somewhere and if anyone thinks you are blowing your trumpet ..just feel sorry for them for having such terrible situations that they can only be critical of people with full and real lives.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 29-06-2021, 12:45 PM
DarkArts
Professional Farnarkler

DarkArts is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canberra ... I could go on
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I have since identified a couple more possible locations on the 100 acres though...so, we will see
100 acres offers options ... many options ... way too many options! Fast forward five years and Mike is still evaluating the best place to put a dome while temporarily observing from his driveway ... ... or maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 29-06-2021, 01:27 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I photoshopped my current observatory into the photos, in two possible locations that I identified, before actually spending time on site, just to get an idea. I have since identified a couple more possible locations on the 100 acres
Why don't you get a big concrete slab with a rolloff roof and a few piers with room to move? You have the land for that. Flog the dome. Expand.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 29-06-2021, 01:56 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 14,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
100 acres offers options ... many options ... way too many options! Fast forward five years and Mike is still evaluating the best place to put a dome while temporarily observing from his driveway ... ... or maybe that's just me.
I cant believe that of Mike he is a doer....and if you place it wrong just build another one..you cant have too many observatories..one for wide field, one for galaxies, one for solar and back ups for each


Alex
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 29-06-2021, 02:07 PM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 14,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Why don't you get a big concrete slab with a rolloff roof and a few piers with room to move? You have the land for that. Flog the dome. Expand.
Building off the ground I have heard is the go to avoid heat build up via a slab...although heat build up may be something Mike may like up there.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 29-06-2021, 02:17 PM
mura_gadi's Avatar
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

mura_gadi is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canberra
Posts: 209
roll away shed

Hello,

As part of a helpful community I thought I would offer up a little interweb searching... Maybe skip the slab and go for artificial something or another, keep it to pier slabs dotted around the place.

After all these are big sheds at 9m/12m/15m x 7.5m x 2.4m options...
https://grantsheds.com.au/fertiliser-sheds/



Steve
Ps. Might have trouble with enough level ground though
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (example.jpg)
60.9 KB21 views
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 29-06-2021, 02:51 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,664
Thanks for the feedback guys

I do like the idea of a roll off roof, with the extra space it provides and visibility of the sky above but it is wind that I worry about ..We have had high wind levels up here several days/nights already (up to Beaufort scale 7), certainly a couple of them I wouldn't have opened a dome, let alone a roll off roof observatory It's been my experience, that if the wind is anything up to fresh (Beaufort scale 5) and I am not imaging directly into the wind, the current 2.3m Sirius dome works beautifully as protection, even with the dome slit fully open and if I can shut the lower shutter ie once I am imaging over about 45deg or so above the horizon, I can probably handle up to Beaufort scale 6 without serious adverse affects on tracking. Pretty sure this would all be impossible in any roll of roof scenario..?

Interesting approach there Steve, sounds reasonable.

Yes, I am keen to build the observatory up off the ground, so given the winds, it will need to be built tough and strong...err?..like it's owner...once was

Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 06:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement