Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-08-2023, 10:37 PM
StargazerMan (Frank)

Motorizing my 16'' Dob with GoTo and tracking

After 4 years manually operating my GSO 16'' (Also branded as StellaLyra / Zhumell Z series)
I finally decided to try and add some motors for tracking. I built an EQ platform and it works well but it's big and cumbersome for travelling to my observing site.

I came across these guys 'Romer Optics' and they had a 'push to' kit for around 100 bucks. This goto system looked the business and it worked with my GSO (also works on Aperura AD8" ~ AD16" and Orion SkyLine Dobs), so I ordered it. It worked great! BTW the kit doesn't work on 'Obsession' type scopes or scopes with spring tensioners.
To counter any white light from my phone/tablet I use a reusable red film, cut to size like a screen protector that makes everything red on screen.

Romer then announced a few years ago they were working on a 'GOTO' version so I kept an eye on the development of that.
When they were ready to ship the parts I ordered one of the first kits. Between work/family/life I didn't get around to installing it until this summer.
At this point they had added a few upgrades like dual speeds and some other power parts that Eric (the main guy at Romer) sent free of charge when I enquired about them!

I've little to none electronics / robotics knowledge but Eric was super helpful via Messenger chat with any questions I had.

A word of warning. It's very much a DIY 'hands on' affair!

I recorded the build as I did it and put together an 'instructional'/'review' type video of the project. It may be help anyone that is considering options for motorizing their Dob.
I've been using it a few weeks now and very happy with the tracking and the goto with it. There are a lot of improvements that can be made especially with the App but Eric seems very eager for feedback and I've no doubt,
they will keep improving it.

Link to the vid here:
https://youtu.be/NYCKvGiqonk

Clear skies!
Frank
Old 10-09-2023, 12:29 PM
sfarndell (Scott)

Great video Frank. I've done DIY goto builds like this a few times and learned a lot from your video still. Worth a watch for anyone looking to motorise a dob