Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Another newbie with questions

{deep breath}Here Goes...
Hello All.
I bought my first scope about 5 weeks ago. Newt 150/750 on EQ3. (ebay )
I bought my second scope about 4 weeks ago Newt 200/1000 on EQ5 (SW600)
Third scope arrived a week ago. Newt 114/900 Bushnell goto.

Looking for scope number four at present.
Sorry. I know I have a problem.

But I really like the little Goto. Its cool (although it would be good if it weere a little more accurate - any suggestions? Please?).

Anyway, my point is EQ mounts are a pain. (literally) and you have to keep rotating the tube. The goto is on a simple fork that I find much nicer to view through.
I was considering buying a bigger goto (Meade LX90 or Celestron SGT - probably only 8").
I'd like to go bigger, but I want it to be portable and from what I can see, anything bigger than an 8" is going to be too heavy even SCT - right?
So I am thinking SCT or MC or you know those little ones with the big focal length.
But I also have to decide between mounts.
My first thought is NOT EQ.
Correct me if I am wrong, but spending ages balancing levelling and setting celestial south gets screwed the first time you have to loosen the tube rings and rotate the tube? Right?
Or am I missing something here.
Because, I could just buy the goto upgrade for my SW600.
Do I sound confused, sorry.

Thanks for looking.
Thanks even more for responding.

Cheers
Allan

PS: is anyone out there who hasn't gone to the SPSP.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
h0ughy (David)

mmmm methinks you need to get rid of above scopes and get this http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=30214 or this http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=30348

sorry but your playing with toys and you do get what you pay for
Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Kokatha man

technically.....

Technically, and I say it this way, rotating your scope in its' rings/cradle shouldn't interfere with the mount's polar alignment or levelling; nor should the balance be greatly affected even though the position of ep and focusser, finder etc would (again technically) require some adjustment if you're fastidious/obsessive - or especially if you hang massive examples of these and other gear on your scope!

Unless of course you knock the whole lot over or get the staggers and accidently shift the tripod.....
Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Houghy,
I see you are just around the corner.
I am currently at Lambton (work).
(The "toys" I have each do a reasonable job resolving the rings of Saturn, and that has been my yardstick to date. - Comment?)

What do you have?
The two scopes you mention are similar to one I was considering (LX90 ACF 8"). But these two used scopes are a bit far to pick up - although I was considering it !
Thanks for feed back

Allan
Old 04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Houghy,
I see you are just around the corner.
I am currently at Lambton (work).
(The "toys" I have each do a reasonable job resolving the rings of Saturn, and that has been my yardstick to date. - Comment?)

What do you have?
The two scopes you mention are similar to one I was considering (LX90 ACF 8"). But these two used scopes are a bit far to pick up - although I was considering it !
Thanks for feed back

Allan
if you need to see the 16 in the flesh let me know
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 PM
coldspace

Hi Alan,

Newt's on Eq mounts are always going to be painfull for visual observation. Your 8inch newt and eq5 would be agood combination for basic imaging but if you are more intrested in visual go for a dobsonian or fork mounted SCT.

Go for a 12inch truss dob such as an Meade lightbridge and couple it with an Argo navis pointing computer so you can lug it around easilier, or go for one of the SCT such as the Meade LX90 or Celestron CPC types scopes. Get the largest you can manage most people go for the 8, 9.25 or 10 inch sizes. These scopes have excellent goto if you keep the drives trained every now and again. It all depends on the type of astronomy you mainly want to do (visual or imaging) and a big factor is your budjet which can be gobbled up with this hobby if you don't tread carefully, why don't you look at selling those scopes you have if you are not using them and putting the money into a real nice scope that will get lots of use. Nothing worse than equipment gathering dust, I know as I am a culprit of this sometimes. Pity you could not get out to the SPSP and have alook at whats what. Try and get to some local viewing nights at a club near you before you buy anymore gear, and keep asking questions here. Why have you bought 3 scopes in as many weeks? are you not happy with the scope before the last one? I would recommend if you can to get along to a local club which I am sure one is in you area and check out some of the gear getting around and what it is used for before you get jacked of this hobby and loose intrest, please correct me if I am wrong. I have been down this path 8 years ago before I was put back on track by the top members of my local club.

Matt.

Last edited by coldspace; 04-04-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 AM
acropolite (Phil)

If you want goto and reasonable aperture for visual use the LX90 is a good choice. They are reasonably portable, very easy and quick to set up and can be had second hand for around the $2K mark. Having owned an LX90 for a few years, I'd like more aperture, perhaps the 16inch LB or an 18 inch SDM and an ArgoNavis, but if I was travelling it would be with the 8 inch LX90.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 AM
skwinty (Steve)
E pur si muove

When I mount my 12" on the EQ6 I always point the eyepiece pointing down. This way the eyepiece almost always (75% of the time) ends up in half decent position so I dont have to use a box to stand on. A fair amount of time I can actually sit and observe. When using the camera it doesnt really matter where the camera ends up