Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-04-2024, 02:52 PM
Bassman (Paul)

Tired of continual set-ups in the cold and wet

G’day,

It has been a long time between posts. I am the owner of an 8” Celestron Evolution Edge HD with Star Sense. Location Dalyston, Victoria.

With plans on the board to sell the Harley because of a dicky knee and my dear wife would like a spa at our new relocation. I was toying with the tent like observatories on eBay as a portable setup and one I could close up with any inclement weather.

Though I wonder if anyone else has travelled this ground before me and possibly I could do a joint project of spa and observatory. I would like an observatory that can take an 8” sct with plans for a larger one, one day or a 5” or 6” refractor. Possibly refractors have two many minuses and I should stay with the Schmidt’s. The back yard is small and an observatory and a spa would be a tight fit.

As I type I am thinking of a roll off shed or a round observatory running west east parallel to the house and the spa at the end of the house in a square formation. If I give you my address you could possibly Google Map It and have a better idea. I am a bit reluctant to post the address though could share it in a PM. I should also point out that there is a three metre easement at the eastern most end of the block running north south.

Warm regards,

Mitch in chilly, windy Dalyston South Gippsland Victoria.
Old 26-04-2024, 06:51 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Mitch

If you are thinking of one of these tents, then I would say no. I think they are only suitable for light wind and rain.

Philip
Old 26-04-2024, 07:02 PM
glend (Glen)

Roll offs are pretty easy to make, but do not out a spa in a Roll off roof observatory. You should put in a pier to hold your mount, and remember to allow swing room turn your long focal length dream scope. And run power to it before you pour any slab.
Read through the many observatory build threads on this forum.
Old 27-04-2024, 09:05 AM
Bassman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Roll offs are pretty easy to make, but do not out a spa in a Roll off roof observatory. You should put in a pier to hold your mount, and remember to allow swing room turn your long focal length dream scope. And run power to it before you pour any slab.
Read through the many observatory build threads on this forum.
Thank You Glend,

I will have to do some more research and may have to go with a kit if they are available or an actual dome as I have issues with my hands.

Any more information very much welcome.

Mitch.
Old 27-04-2024, 09:07 AM
Bassman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi Mitch

If you are thinking of one of these tents, then I would say no. I think they are only suitable for light wind and rain.

Philip
Thank you Philip,

You have saved me $400 plus.

Maybe thos expensive domes are not so expensive after all.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Hi Paul, if space is tight maybe a roll off would would be a good idea? Put the spa under where the roof rolls off?