Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2024, 09:05 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Secondary Mirror loose

Hi All, can anyone help me with this problem, I have a Meade LXD 75 8"SN telescope and my secondary keeps coming loose .I think it may have to do with the paper washers that fit between them metal frame of the mirror and the glass corrector plate and is not binding when tight up. I am too scared to put too much pressure on getting it tight because of breaking the glass plate.
Any ideas where I can get new washers from or what I can use instead of using the paper washers.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:30 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

No one else has jumped in and I know how frustrating that can be.
I know nothing of your system but you've mentioned paper ring spacers, could you use a slightly thicker paper spacer or would that cause focus and collimation issues?
I was going to suggest 3M double sided tape but while that's extremely thin and used on my GSO Newt secondary I don't think it would be ideal on a glass corrector plate.
Perhaps fibre washers could replace the paper spacers and be just that little bit thicker than paper without doing any damage or messing with focus and collimation.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:39 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Leo thanks for your reply ,I am going to take my old washers to a sign writer he has laser cutter and different thickness of materials with he can cut to size thanks again (let you know how they go)
Old 10-05-2024, 07:37 AM
By.Jove (Jove)

You can buy A4 sheets of cork from art & craft shops such as Eckersly's, 0.5, 1.0 1.5 and 2.0 mm...

Easily cut and make the perfect spacers or shims as it offers enough grip to stop things rotating without excessive pressure.