Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:20 PM
blackpearl

starting out

Hi all. I have been lurking about this forum for a few days and have enjoyed the it immensely. I have learnt a lot, even why the magazine isn't out yet!
I often take visitors to the local observatory to look at the sky and so I want a telescope of my own to have in the yard and also take out of town to the farm and the dark sky. I also want to take photos. Budget was $1200 but could stretch to $2000
After researching magazines, other web sites and visiting Bintel in Sydney I like the look of the Dob 8-10 inches because of ease of learning to use a telescope, setting up, and still take basic photos (like icemans)
If I go for the serious photography I need a telescope with a motorised equatorial mount, a laptop, power supply (for out of town), and time to set it up.
Have I got it right?
Is there anything else I need to think about?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Welcome Blackpearl to the forums.....check this out....Ken has been doing some shopping for us...

http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/show...=&threadid=759

Was posted today.....by ken
Old 07-02-2005, 10:31 PM
blackpearl

Hi Striker
The price is right and I'm willing to wait til March but will it fit in a Toyota Corolla. What is the size of one of those 12" Dobs?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:46 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Welcome to the show blackpearl.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:07 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Guys, Welcome blackpearl. For a 12" dob, you may have to fit roof racks to your Toyota. The tube is approx. 5ft 6'' long!Tho you might just squeeze it in by putting the seat down.
ps. Doesn't leave much room for the missus!

Last edited by RAJAH235; 08-02-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Blackpearl,

Hi and welcome,

The GS 12" Deluxe dobber at $999 is available now from a shop in Sydney called Andrews Communications Systems. Mine arrives in a day or two.

It is 145cm long, or 4 foot 9 inches, and the tube is 13" diameter.

It will fit sideways in larger cars or legthways in hatches etc. with a seat down. Or make a nice box and put in on the roof.

Whichever way, it's a bargain.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi blackpearl, to the forum and glad to see you posting!

By the sounds of your first post, you've done your research and you've already got a good grip on what you'll need for the different aspects of this hobby.

A dob is a great starting scope, great for the beginners and great for kids too. Easy to setup, easy to transport, put it on the ground, point it, and you're ready to observe.

You can take basic photos with them, as I have done, either afocally with a digicam, or by using a webcam. If you're serious about getting full-blown into astrophotography, then perhaps you should consider a motor-driven EQ mount from the get-go, but you'd need to be sure that's the area of the hobby you wanted to get into, because that's where a lot of additional cost will come in..
Solid motor-driven EQ mounts (or fork-mount scopes likes the LX200) are expensive, and will cost at least 4 times what your 10 or 12" dob will cost. Add on the DSLR or other long-exposure camera, filters, time and patience, and the cost can be quite high.

If you're pretty sure that for the short-medium term you just want to take basic photos, then a dob will work fine. Either that, or look at getting the 10" newt on an undriven EQ6 mount. I think the EQ6 mounts are about $1600, and the 10" OTA probably another $700 or so.

Or, get a dob and plan to get (or make) an EQ platform in the future. Depends how handy you are at DIY stuff.

The 12" dob that the guys talked about above is a great price for a large aperture, no doubt about it. But it is bigger, longer and heavier than an 8" for $399 for example. The replacement focuser is a great upgrade, but you could also do that with an 8" or 10" as well.
I've got the 10", and it's true that the base and tube separately aren't *that* heavy that anyone with a moderate amount of strength would be able to move them around the yard, load the scope in the car, etc. It just fits sideways in the backseat of my hyundai excel, or longways with the backseat down in the family stationwagon.

The 12" is a longer tube, the base will be bigger, heavier, and the tube will be heavier (bigger mirror too). You have to think about portability around the house, transportation in the car etc.
I strongly suggest you get out to Bintel or Andrews and have a look at their 12" dobs, take a tape measure or measure your car first.. work out where and how you're going to transport it around the house and to a dark site before you buy one. You might be surprised or shocked about how big it is in real life.

When people see my 10" dob standing upright for the first time, they mistake it for a water heater.. the 12" will be even more so!

But, if you can overcome those issues, the 12" will be a great scope for the price, tonnes of aperture and the ability to do mods on it for years!

Good luck and keep us informed!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

My little bit would be to remember that the best scope is one that is used. I know that the 12" is a great price and very tempting BUT its huge and not easily transported, especially if you are planning on taking it to the farm by car and the load includes a family. Just carrying the beast out into the backyard is much harder and the cooldown times are longer.

My suggestion for a first scope would be not to go above 10" and seriously consider an 8". The 8" is easy to carry out into the yard and is a boarderline grab and go scope but if you take it out into dark skies it will really blow your little eyeballs out!!

My point is, to consider transportability and storage before you buy. Its better to have a slightly smaller scope that is easily transported and does not take up the lounge room than a great big one that can become a hassle, especially for your first scope.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

You could always buy the 12 incher and leave it at the farm and get something more portable or with tracking/eq mount for home

A big dob can be transported but as rmcpb says, it doesnt leave much room for anything else in the car.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
blackpearl

Thank you for your responses, you reinforce what I was thinking.
Iceman and Rob mentioned an equatorial platform - what is this??
Old 08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Here is a picture....someone else can explain as I have never had one nor have the experience....but once setup it enables you to guide/follow your target.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (mount3.jpg)
51.2 KB175 views
Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

For example the picture below is just like a 8" dobsonian but on a Equatorial mount...

OMG I am starting to sound like a pro....and it feals good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (mount5.jpg)
20.6 KB115 views
Old 08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

No Striker, that's not an EQ platform but an EQ mount.

An EQ platform is specifically made for Dobs. Just google for more info. One problem with most designs is that they have to be custom made for specific latitude, so they are restricted to a narrow range of latitudes.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Dam......I thought a EQ mount would be more appropriate then a Platform I don't think you can even purchase a platform.....oh well my mistake...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker
Dam......I thought a EQ mount would be more appropriate then a Platform...
Yes, mount is probably better, it's just that blackpearl's question was about platforms... Good platforms are probably as expensive as mounts and not as versatile because they're latitude specific. On the other hand, it'd probably be easier to build a sturdy platform than a mount. I imagine that the kind of precision needed for astrophotography would be a big challenge either way.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

EQ platforms are rarely (if ever) accurate enough for long exposure astrophotography.

A good EQ platform for visual use and a bit of planetary/lunar photography is far cheaper than a good EQ mount for long exposure work.. the difference is in the $1000's (more like, $3000-$5000 difference).

If I ever get (or build) an EQ platform, it will be for visual use (nothing worse than having to realign inbetween showing people Saturn) as well as imaging the planets and the moon.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:26 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

robin i think it is over at AO forum uses a eq platform with a dob to image DSOs ice.... its doable
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Yep ive heard of super duper EQ platforms with a second motor to adjust the tilt as an equivalent of a declination drive.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

An equatrial platform is basically part of a cone set up for your latitude that has the top cut off so when it is aligned to south and moved it allows tracking of objects over time with a dob. They are suitable for photography if set up correctly and I have seen some photos from them where the exposure was measured in minutes but I wuld think they are more suitable for shorter exposure photos.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally posted by ballaratdragons
Blackpearl,

Hi and welcome,

The GS 12" Deluxe dobber at $999 is available now from a shop in Sydney called Andrews Communications Systems. Mine arrives in a day or two.

you work for andrews dont ya! come on admit it!