Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2007, 08:23 PM
GazzMeister

Best accessories to get first?

Hello All

I've recently decided to upgrade to a 10" Dobsonian, due to the great advice on these boards. I've decided to go for the Guan Sheng GS-880 from Andrews Communications. Anyway, It will cost $699 for the deluxe version and I had planned a budget of around $1000. What sort of accessories would be the best to get with the remaining money? I already have a 4inch reflector, two pairs of binos, a 10x50 , and a 8x42, A good star atlas (and planisphere), and quite a few good books (most from the southern hemisphere of course!). What next? I'm not into photos so I'm thinking eyepieces or filters or collimation tools? So many choices

Any help much appreciated

Gareth
Old 25-06-2007, 08:57 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, good question!!

-redlight / whitelight torch that goes on your head, cheap from coles

-definately a laser pointer that can be attached to your scope

-eyepieces, do you still get 4 series 500 for free? depending on your experience, these are ok to start, but you may want to get yourself a nice 12mm or say a ultra wide.

I got into planetary pretty quickly, so tended to gravitate to getting tracking for the dob and also 4mm and 5mm eyepieces. But if you are happy just moving by hand, maybe an good ultra wide at 30mm etc

good luck
Old 25-06-2007, 09:00 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Best accessories to get first.

A Telrad finder, about $80.00, a lifetime investment and a great tool for finding objects and learning the night sky. Greg.
Old 25-06-2007, 09:07 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

A collimation tool is a must.
Next a Telrad if you don't fancy the standard finder, many don't.
Then I would be looking at a good quality ~12mm ep like a Hyperion or Pentax XF.
Also a good quality 2x barlow or perhaps a TMB planetary eyepiece for high power work
Old 25-06-2007, 09:18 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Since you have planisphere and I am assuming a red light torch, I recommend getting some good collimation tools...

I'd recommend an Orion Collimating eyepiece...a good tool that requires no batteries and has no moving parts...it will last a lifetime and get used every time you use the scope. It will help your scope perform to its ability.

Although I will declare that I have a vested interest in making this next recommendation I will still do it and suggest that you get a good adjustable height observing chair. For me there has been no other single piece of gear that improved enjoyment of my telescope than a good chair. Buy one or make your own it does not matter but do get one. I find that the more comfortable I am at the eyepiece the longer and "deeper" I will look...to me it is a must for dobsonian mounts.

Then, before you get anything else, spend as much time as you can using your telescope...alone or with friends (to try out their gear) get as much viewing time as you can before you buy any more gear. Once you know what you want to see and how you want to see it you can then start thinking about which other bits of gear you can not live without.

Clear Skies!
Old 25-06-2007, 09:50 PM
wolfman

What you need first

A Big Wooley Coat And Hat.
Old 25-06-2007, 10:27 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Gareth!!..congrats on you new scope..I have a 10 inch dob also..a good quality 2x barlow plus a broadband and narrowband filter would be invaluable if observing from the suburbs as well the dark stuff...
It is a hefty scope to carry..so do some practice in carrying it around and loading it up for transportation in the daytime...and most importantly..enjoy the views!!
Cheers!
Old 26-06-2007, 06:40 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

An IceInSpace Beanie!
Old 26-06-2007, 09:42 AM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

10:1 focuser and Telrad
Old 26-06-2007, 10:12 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Collimating tools, both the Cheshire eyepiece and laser collimator are great tools, they basically get a run each session in my scope to ensure the view is as good as it can be.

Telrad, a real must have as well as planisphere software so you can print out telrad charts.

Three good eyepieces, wide angle 30mm, 12mm and 9mm if you are staying with no tracking. Otherwise you can go for good plossls in the 12 and 9 as the tracking will keep the object centred but the 30mm should be a wide angle to allow viewing of large objects.

Good 2x barlow.

Good choice of scope
Old 26-06-2007, 10:44 AM
GazzMeister

A bit confused with the eyepiece situation.

Thanks for the responses Everyone

rmcpb, you said "Three good eyepieces, wide angle 30mm, 12mm and 9mm if you are staying with no tracking. Otherwise you can go for good plossls in the 12 and 9 as the tracking will keep the object centred but the 30mm should be a wide angle to allow viewing of large objects."
Are the plossls too hard to track objects by hand? I do keep hearing good things about wide angled eyepieces, but with around $300 to spend won't I only be able to get one quality wide angle EP?

As for software I'm currently using Stellarium, and I've just downloaded Cartes du Ciel and having a bit of fun playing around with it learning the ropes . I really like Stellarium, it's so easy to use, just like reverse google earth . I found Saturn for the first time using it so It'll always have a special place in my heart. I suppose that one day I'll have to get some better software one day but the two that i've got are pretty good for now.

I was also wondering if buying cheap(er) filters makes as big a difference as good eyepieces? Are there good cheapies out there?

To answer your suggestion iceman, it's a bit embarrasing, but my mother has recently retired and she knitted me a beanie (I did have to stop her from attaching a pom-pom though!)
Old 26-06-2007, 10:51 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzMeister View Post

I was also wondering if buying cheap(er) filters makes as big a difference as good eyepieces? Are there good cheapies out there?

To answer your suggestion iceman, it's a bit embarrasing, but my mother has recently retired and she knitted me a beanie (I did have to stop her from attaching a pom-pom though!)
Second point first - You're a lucky man! But was it in rainbow colours? Get her to add a lining, if she hasn't already done so - you'll need it in Canberra - Brrrrr!

First point - you'll want neutral density filters - a 1.25" and a 2" - for viewing the Moon (almost essential or you'll see a purple spot in your vision for a good while!) and the 1.25" also helps with Jupiter (or the 2" - you can put it on a 2" barlow and use all your 1.25" eyepieces). I'm hoping that a 1.25" ND was part of the package, otherwise they are pretty cheap. A 2" is more expensive, but look around. Bintel sold me a set of four 2" filters (Saxon) for $80 - ND, blue, yellow, red - I'm still experimenting with them on Jupiter.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:04 AM
GazzMeister

Not Rainbow!!!

No it's not a rainbow beanie . But good call with the lining, when we have a good clear night it does get rather 'fresh' in good ol Canberra.

I also forgot to mention that I have a green moon filter that came with my other scope. Not sure on the quality though.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:11 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

She'll never know if you don't wear it, though!
Old 26-06-2007, 03:23 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Many people like wide angle eypieces on dobs so you don't have to move them so much BUT the problem with them is that they cost more. A standard plossl has an apparent field of view of about 52 degrees and I used them on my dob before getting the equatorial platform with great success. The wide angle, low power eyepiece is great for observing extended deep space objects and making the jump from the Telrad to the scope as you can guarantee the object will be in the field of view of the low power eyepiece to allow finer centring for higher power viewing.

If you stick to the plossl design you get a lot of eyepiece for your money but you have to adjust your scope more often. Its a trade off but if you are on a budget then this is a way to go until you get all the other bit 'n pieces. Then you can go for a few really good wide angle eyepieces if you need to.
Old 26-06-2007, 03:47 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Groan!

collimation tool is number one priority!
a small collection of eyepieces (high, medium and low power)
a star chart.

and finally, if you arent comfortable it will become a pain in the back... a height adjustable seat
Old 28-06-2007, 12:17 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

You will spend the rest of your years collecting EP's, so they aren't immediate.

But may I suggest one of Scotts adjustable chairs, a Cheshire collimation tool, a good quality Thermos for nice hot drinks, a table to put your goodies on, a comfy chair for sitting at the table, a power pack and Hair dryer for defogging everything.

That will do to start with
Old 28-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Tannehill

You have a scope. I assume it came with a finder, then. I think you mentioned having about $300 left over, right?

How’s this sound, then. Format below is: Item, Price, Source/Comments

Adjustable Observing Chair, $177, Bintel Stellar Seat Observing Chair. Or similar. GREAT GREAT accessory, worth 30% more aperture when you can sit and relax and enjoy the view, being able to raise or lower the seat. Get one with (or make) cushioned seat!

Cheap elastic eyepatch (pirate-style) for the OTHER eye, $2.50, You'd be surprised how much tension it eases when you don't have to WORK at keeping your other eye shut. That's if having it open bugs you, as it does me especially if the surroundings are not PERFECTLY dark...and they rarely are 100% pitch black, really.

Chesire, $49, Bintel 1.25" variety (or CatsEye high end option). Good collimation is a must

Sight-tube, $0.50 if you make it yourself from 35mm film cannister with center hole. Learning about centering the secondary and collimation is a must, and fairly easy to learn.

Redlight LED torch, $18, Bintel; LED bulbs preferred as they break only with great difficulty.

S&T Pocket Atlas, $25 plus shipping from U.S. Or a red acrylic shield for your laptop; don’t want to annoy your ‘mates with bright screen! But an atlas of some kind is critical.

Some thrifty Eyepieces to start but not too cheap, $200 for 4 EP set from Bintel, I think they throw in the case! Premium EPs DO make a difference, so if there is any hardware time on which you want to exceed your budget, it's with EPs.

Cheap collapsible table for scope-side (assuming it’ll fit) $69 at Bunnings

Cheap folding chair to go with cheap table (assuming it’ll fit) $20 at Bunnings

A dark sky site, Worth a kidney

A dark sky site and a spouse who lets you go there a few times a month, Worth two kidneys.

Some amicable and quick witted friends with whom to joke and share the dark sky site, PRICELESS!! Can be made on your own with simple tools, and you will keep them forever.

And that, my friend, gets you there with about $11 to spare….

Regards

Scott

Old 28-06-2007, 09:29 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannehill View Post
You have a scope. I assume it came with a finder, then. I think you mentioned having about $300 left over, right?

How’s this sound, then. Format below is: Item, Price, Source/Comments

Adjustable Observing Chair, $177, Bintel Stellar Seat Observing Chair. Or similar. GREAT GREAT accessory, worth 30% more aperture when you can sit and relax and enjoy the view, being able to raise or lower the seat. Get one with (or make) cushioned seat!

Cheap elastic eyepatch (pirate-style) for the OTHER eye, $2.50, You'd be surprised how much tension it eases when you don't have to WORK at keeping your other eye shut. That's if having it open bugs you, as it does me especially if the surroundings are not PERFECTLY dark...and they rarely are 100% pitch black, really.

Chesire, $49, Bintel 1.25" variety (or CatsEye high end option). Good collimation is a must

Sight-tube, $0.50 if you make it yourself from 35mm film cannister with center hole. Learning about centering the secondary and collimation is a must, and fairly easy to learn.

Redlight LED torch, $18, Bintel; LED bulbs preferred as they break only with great difficulty.

S&T Pocket Atlas, $25 plus shipping from U.S. Or a red acrylic shield for your laptop; don’t want to annoy your ‘mates with bright screen! But an atlas of some kind is critical.

Some thrifty Eyepieces to start but not too cheap, $200 for 4 EP set from Bintel, I think they throw in the case! Premium EPs DO make a difference, so if there is any hardware time on which you want to exceed your budget, it's with EPs.

Cheap collapsible table for scope-side (assuming it’ll fit) $69 at Bunnings

Cheap folding chair to go with cheap table (assuming it’ll fit) $20 at Bunnings

A dark sky site, Worth a kidney

A dark sky site and a spouse who lets you go there a few times a month, Worth two kidneys.

Some amicable and quick witted friends with whom to joke and share the dark sky site, PRICELESS!! Can be made on your own with simple tools, and you will keep them forever.

And that, my friend, gets you there with about $11 to spare….

Regards

Scott

The $11 is for petrol to drive down the road to buy it all.
Old 29-06-2007, 07:54 AM
KG8

I'd recommend seeing if they will swap/upgrade the EP's to the Superviews for you, the 20mm especially.