Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
phranticsnr (Dan)

Greetings!

Hi everyone,

I'm Dan. I'm new here. I'm also new to astronomy, though I've loved the idea of it since I was a primary schooler (the thick end of two decades ago). It's only recently that I realised that astronomy was a thing I could actually do now that I am a grown up.

So I got me a little 70mm refractor a few weeks ago (and have since been given a 76mm reflector as well) in order to learn the sky. When I get a bit richer I'll invest in a bigger 'scope. We all gotta start somewhere though, right?

Anyway, I'm in Brisbane and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for darker skies to take my scope (and camera - I've been a photography nerd for a long time) near (<1.5 hours drive) here.

-Dan
Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

A good start before considering purchace of another scope is Astro Clubs. They all have outings to specific Dark Skys and usually can come with them for a short time before asking to become members.

This is what I did after I purchaced my first scope. Now i am happy with my final decision which will last me a long time. Information from this website is also very informative as well and can assist in your decision.

As far as your scope the main thing to consider is what type of observing or Astro Photography whether you want automated alignment of the viewing area (motorised mounts - Tracking) or don't mind pushing scope to keep up with earth rotation.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Liz

Dan ... yes, it is a wonderful hobby
What you need to do is try and learn the main constellations, so you can can discover some goodies to look at.
It does take awhile, as all looks a bit like a huge dot to dot to start off with (did for me).
There are some good star charts out there, and if you buy the Australian Sky ans Telescope (at most newsagencies) it has a a star chart in centre that shows the constellations up there at the moment.
Also www.skymaps.com is a great resource - just downlod the Southern Hemisphere map.
And www.stellarium.org is another great free software for your computor.
You only have a little scope, but thats OK, the Moon is wonderful, and Mars and Saturn are up at the moment.
There are a few Brisbanites out there, so they will respond too.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
phranticsnr (Dan)

Yup, I've no doubt some Brisbane people will notice this thread.

I've already found a few local star clubs. When my schedule evens out a little (I'm a uni student, amongst other things), I'll check them out.

My little scope has been awesome so far. Mars and Saturn were easy finds, but I probably spent more time staring at Saturn than anything else. I have a 3.8mm ED eyepiece for my 500mm refractor that gets me a lovely, albeit kinda small, view of the rings.

It's the clusters I love to find. At lower powers, even my little scope makes them into gorgeous fields of sparkles.

I already have Stellarium installed on my laptop, and I used it to help me identify things when I'm observing, though I am getting better at spotting constellations. Orion and Crux used to be about my limit. Now Leo, Taurus and Canis Major are obvious to me.

As for my next scope - astrophotography is my end-goal, but I can tell it's going to be a difficult and expensive hobby (but rewarding...). I'm happy to progress slowly, learn what I can and view what I can before I start to image things. That said, my next scope will probably be a 150mm or 200mm reflector on an EQ mount with motor drives. Something that will give me plenty of room to grow. I've seen them around $1000 on websites. I can manage that (assuming I can talk my girlfriend into letting me...)

Unless, of course, I get a better idea from these forums haha (or I win the lottery and buy a 16" OTA on a custom EQ mount).
Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Hi Dan and I would say that you are in the far north of Brisbane suburbs by your distance indicator:
We have a group of people come up to Cambroon, not far from Kenilworth(see sticky on the "Star Parties and Community forum) you are welcome to come along on the 12th of this month.
There will be a few astrophographers, and telescopes for visual observing for you to get some idea has to what you can look forward to as you progress in your hobby
I hope you can join us
Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 PM
phranticsnr (Dan)

Yeah, I'm on Brisbane's northside. I won't be able to make it that soon, but the idea is tempting. Another time, perhaps?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

what about sas(south astronomical society) in northern gold coast
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Davelrkn

Hi Dan
Welcome to IIS
If you would like to learn more about our night sky I suggest you join a club
I know SEQAS (www.seqas.org) meet on the Northside every third Tuesday at the Chermside Library
They also run the Urban Observers group twice a month on a Sunday where you can take your scope and have help to find your way around the sky or look through Members scopes who are in attendance.
This is a free service to the Public and do not have to be a SEQAS Member

Hope this is of some help
Cheers
Dave
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
phranticsnr (Dan)

Yep, I know about all these groups. When my schedule settles down a little, I will probably join SEQAS - I live and work around Chermside. Thanks Dave!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Dan,

In response to your question on dark skies around Brisbane - it's a little longer than 1.5 hours but Stanthorpe is a great place to go. You have the wineries during the day and then great dark skies at night. I can't think of a better combination!

Ten minutes down the road is Ballandean, still in amongst the wineries, and the Twin-star motel. The owner has an 18" reflector in an observatory and provides an hour long night tour if you're a guest there. It was fantastic!

Anyway, double the distance that you were looking at but as I said well worth the drive. And I'm sure your girlfriend would take little convincing to have a weekend away in the wineries!

Cheers,
Mario
Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 PM
phranticsnr (Dan)

Yeah, Stanthorpe would be lovely - but that will have to wait til the schedule permits a two day trip! I'm a full time student AND an almost-full-time worker.

Suffice to say that I only get to sleep when it's cloudy at night .
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Hi Dan welcome to IIS,
you have come to the right place these guys/gals here will take good care of you
Go to a star party if you can you will have the time of your life and learn so much as well and also enjoy the great company