Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2014, 05:16 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Lunar Eclipse

I am excited about the lunar eclipse on the 15th of April!
Weather permitting () it should be visible from my beach. By the time I can see the moon from my balcony I am afraid the eclipse will not be total anymore, although it should still be partially visible. But it is OK to go to the beach - it is only a 10-minute walk. Partially visible is also OK though, maybe even better for photos? I think the beach will be a better "observatory" though. As it is a total eclipse I would like to see it properly.
What would you recommend me to do to take good pics? Maybe I should also take a video? How long will it last? (I don't think I can take a complete video of it, but anyway...)
Old 20-01-2014, 08:51 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

These numbers are for my place. You aren't that far away so they will be close.

This eclipse will be total for about 78 minutes. Totality will start at 17:06 AEST with the Moon a bit below the horizon from the beach and continue until 18:24 AEST when the Moon will be about 10 degrees above the horizon and a touch south of due east.

You should work out what that means for the view from your balcony. Is it a first floor or 40th floor balcony? That would make a huge difference. From the 40th you might even get the start of totality.
Old 21-01-2014, 07:40 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it is the first floor. I checked in Starry Night. I know more or less from SN when the moon will be visible from my balcony and it will only be a partial eclipse... It is usually visible when it is not quite low and in the E-NE. I just hope I won't shake my scope too much while walking to the beach. I don't want to collimate it at the beach just in case I lose a screw or something in the darkness!

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 21-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 21-01-2014, 09:50 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

You won't have to worry about the dark too much. If a full moon is below the horizon the sun must be above it. The biggest problem will be seeing the moon at all. It's basically impossible to see an eclipsed moon rise, though you should spot it shortly afterwards.

I haven't made too many plans yet because the east coast low is due to cause minor flooding that day but I won't be at the beach. Apart from the lovely effects of salt air on the optics that is where you will experience maximum atmospheric extinction. Altitude is your friend. And as the filthy money grubbing developers and their lackies in council haven't managed to inflict 40 storey monstrosities on Wollongong yet I will take advantage of the natural elevation of the escarpment. Bulli Tops, Saddleback Mt and Knights Hill are all good options.
Old 21-01-2014, 10:43 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Unfortunately I don't have a car, so I can only set up my scope not too far from my place... But I have taken many, really many photos with my DSLR camera at the beach and the optics have never been damaged. (I have paid attention of course and have avoided windy days for example.)
Luckily my beach has "slightly" elevated parts (a promenade with tables) so at least I don't have to set up the scope on the sand (I actually wouldn't do that...)!
In the worst-case scenario I will watch a partial eclipse from my balcony. (Not really that bad, better than nothing, IF I can see it... it is a bit risky as it should be towards the end by the time I can see the moon properly from my balcony with my telescope... so I will do my best to go to the beach anyway... there is no danger as it is not in the middle of the night and I am sure there will be other people... if the weather is not like these days of course because in that case it would be pointless...)

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 21-01-2014 at 11:03 AM.