Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-05-2024, 11:59 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

IBC Tank observatory!

Hi everyone, just thought I'd share this fun little project with you.

While a mate and I are building 2 larger RoR sheds, I thought I'd also build a quickie, large enough to house my little wider field setup with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer GTI mount.

We're a farm here with a few spare IBC tanks laying around, so the brain started chugging...an already sturdy framework, ready to mount insulation and old farm corrugated iron onto! I even have some already scrounged cooler room insulated walls to cut into a roof.

So while we were getting the massive pier foundations of the main 2 obsys poured, I dug out another 50cm3 hole (a bit bigger than that) and hand-bashed 2 6 ft star pickets into said hole for extra reinforcement. Yes that kept me fit that day! Buddy then worked his magic to produce the world's strongest formwork for the base. It's next to a perfectly placed power outlet I had installed and WiFi 30m from house runs great.

Might eventually motorise the roof. Eventually ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PSX_20240519_114629.jpg)
209.0 KB52 views
Old Today, 04:57 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I'd love to see more on this... Good cheap solution that should be easy enough to source...

Im planning on building a mini-observatory for my rig (literally big enough for the rig to fit in - nothing else) I'll run a powerlead to it when I'm going to use it, manually flip the lid up, unpark the scope and start imaging... My main concern is children in the back yard not being able to touch/lean on/pull at anything on the rig - so it's more about creating a safe spot for me to leave the gear set up for multiple night imaging runs more than anything else...

This could work (or something like it)
Old Today, 06:52 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

I'm sure it'll work, just no 14 inch RCs.

In our case, it's more to protect from errant dogs, sheep and goats!

The IBC is inherently strong, but I'll be pegging it down to the ground in case of VERY strong wind.

Yeah, having to set up every night sux, time and energy that I do not have.