Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,033
More Spiders... (new improved with added RGB)

Seems crazy I know but even though this image recently got an Astrobin IOTD, I've reprocessed it from scratch and added RGB stars and some more NB data.

This time around I tried out the new Star Xterminator plug in for PS and it's a big improvement over Starnet++, much cleaner and lightning fast!
I also had a play with the latest version of Topaz denoise 3.3.2 that offers heaps more control and selective masking, so you don't have to worry about generating any artificial artifacts.

I've also been working on getting better "natural" star colours from my Bortle 6/7 backyard. Seems the solution is to take lots and lots and lots of short subs!

Most of the NB data though was shot under a full moon.

Aah, the joy of living in the world's longest lockdown with too much time on my hands...

it's here on ASTROBIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2070-HaO3S2RGB_IIS.jpg)
194.8 KB109 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:36 PM
Bassnut's Avatar
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Bassnut is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Torquay
Posts: 4,824
wow, even more excellent Andy!. And yes, Star Exterminator is so much easier to use (and better results) than Starnet, it has overall slashed star processing time generally from painfully time consuming to a trivial step.
(Could we get commission for this kind of advertising ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2021, 05:57 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,842
Yeah sliiiightly more colour in the stars perhaps??..but nup, sorry, overall (granted, not much in it)...I like the original better Andy

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
wow, even more excellent Andy!. And yes, Star Exterminator is so much easier to use (and better results) than Starnet, it has overall slashed star processing time generally from painfully time consuming to a trivial step.
(Could we get commission for this kind of advertising ;-)
Thanks Fred, Very happy that you noticed the additional processing efforts.
As to adversing? I dunno mate- lots of mixed opinions here lately, might be a tough sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yeah sliiiightly more colour in the stars perhaps??..but nup, sorry, overall (granted, not much in it)...I like the original better Andy

Mike
Thanks Mike. Interesting comment, on my calibrated monitor I had to desaturate the RGB stars a bit as I had too much colour and they were looking a tad artificial, but here on my phone they show very little.
Might be a ‘phone thing
Lots more detail in the new one too.

Last edited by Andy01; 05-10-2021 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-10-2021, 10:51 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Thanks Mike. Interesting comment, on my calibrated monitor I had to desaturate the RGB stars a bit as I had too much colour and they were looking a tad artificial, but here on my phone they show very little.
Might be a ‘phone thing
Lots more detail in the new one too.
Blinking between them it's hard to decide, as I said, not much in it..?..can you do a 50/50 blend

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Nikolas's Avatar
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Nikolas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,269
Love it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2021, 03:38 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,229
Looks great. Stars are very muted colours though, perhaps that is accurate but I imagine the colour could be a bit more saturated - you know you have to keep your reputation up for colour!!

Don't go all conservative now.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2021, 05:39 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Blinking between them it's hard to decide, as I said, not much in it..?..can you do a 50/50 blend

Mike
Your command is my wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Love it
Thanks Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Looks great. Stars are very muted colours though, perhaps that is accurate but I imagine the colour could be a bit more saturated - you know you have to keep your reputation up for colour!!

Don't go all conservative now.

Greg.
No worries Gents - here we go - fully saturated stars as suggested.
ASTROBIN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2021, 06:26 PM
AdamJL
Registered User

AdamJL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Seems the solution is to take lots and lots and lots of short subs!
How short, pray tell? Inquiring minds want to know!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2021, 06:38 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,690
Absolutely delicious. I especially love the faint wispy arcs toward the bottom.

How in broad outlines (not what packages, but what mechanisms) do you use to add the RGB stars?

Do you for example produce a starless NB version, a stars-only RGB version, and add them?

Or do you make a star mask out of the RGB version?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2021, 10:57 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
How short, pray tell? Inquiring minds want to know!
Hi Adam, with my CCD, max 120 sec subs for RGB seem to be working ok, about an hours worth for each. I've also been experimenting with 5 min subs for LUM, but I suspect these might be getting affected too much by LP, so might cut these back a bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Absolutely delicious. I especially love the faint wispy arcs toward the bottom.

How in broad outlines (not what packages, but what mechanisms) do you use to add the RGB stars?

Do you for example produce a starless NB version, a stars-only RGB version, and add them?
Or do you make a star mask out of the RGB version?
Hi M&T, many thanks for the kind comments.

I process the NB masters and remove the stars - this time with star Xterminator.
I then blink between star & starless layers in PS to see if anything unnatural was removed or added and then rectify as required with the history brush prior to further post production.

RGB stars are then exposed for around 1hour per colour and combined to create a seperate layer.
Due to my location in suburbia, this usually needs colour tweaks to compensate for the LP. Converting this to LAB colour mode and using curves helps!
I then convert this back to RGB colour & lay this over the NB stacks in Lighten blend mode.

I then use the original Ha layer with stars intact as an additional LUM layer over the top of this stack, at 50-100%.

Hope that's useful.

Last edited by Andy01; 09-10-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:07 AM
AdamJL
Registered User

AdamJL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post


Hi Adam, with my CCD, max 120 sec subs for RGB seem to be working ok, about an hours worth for each. I've also been experimenting with 5 min subs for LUM, but I suspect these might be getting affected too much by LP, so might cut these back a bit too.

Thanks Andy! Any tips from the master is super helpful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hi M&T, many thanks for the kind comments.

I process the NB masters and remove the stars - this time with star Xterminator.
I then blink between star & starless layers in PS to see if anything unnatural was removed or added and then rectify as required with the history brush prior to further post production.

RGB stars are then exposed for around 1hour per colour and combined to create a seperate layer.
Due to my location in suburbia, this usually needs colour tweaks to compensate for the LP. Converting this to LAB colour mode and using curves helps!
I then convert this back to RGB colour & lay this over the NB stacks in Lighten blend mode.

I then use the original Ha layer with stars intact as an additional LUM layer over the top of this stack, at 50-100%.

Hope that's useful.
This sounds almost like a PS workflow... you only work in PS? That gives me so much hope!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:46 AM
markas (Mark)
Registered User

markas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 374
As before, but more so
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-10-2021, 11:43 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,033
Thanks Adam & Mark for your support and kind comments.

Adam, your are correct - I use APP for stacking and PS for post production with various plug-ins as required.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-10-2021, 12:15 PM
LKD
Registered User

LKD is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
looks great, awesome field so much detail to look at.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14-10-2021, 09:32 AM
Benjamin's Avatar
Benjamin (Ben)
Registered User

Benjamin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Moorooka, Brisbane
Posts: 755
Wonderful image and a joy to wander through in high res: so many gorgeous detailed and colourful features
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-10-2021, 06:09 PM
willik (Willik)
Registered User

willik is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 696
Not much to say about this spider image but it is
A1 Andy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16-10-2021, 10:04 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,033
Thanks LKD, Ben & Willik for you positive and encouraging comments.
Time to move along to the next one now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19-10-2021, 04:02 PM
topheart
Registered User

topheart is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,079
Spectacular Andy!
Cheers,
Tim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement