Old 18-08-2021, 09:09 AM
garymck (Gary)

GPU for Starnet++ ?

Hi,
I have a reasonably quick pc (Ryzen1700), but I have an old graphics card that does not support Starnet++ . Can anyone please suggest a reasonably priced graphics card in the $200-$300 price range that would work reasonably well to accelerate Starnet++ in Pixinsight?

Not sure what I need.

Thanks in advance
Gary
Old 18-08-2021, 10:14 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

What card do you currently have?

Github has a post for the update 14th of April, the specs are "GPU was NVidia GeForce 840M 2Gb" for the PC. So, it doesn't need a "new" card from the looks of things. Its got some hints and tips, trouble shooting etc in it as well.

Listed prerequisities listed are
"Prerequisites:
Python and Tensorflow, preferably Tensorflow-GPU if you have an NVidia GPU. In this case you will also need CUDA and CuDNN libraries.
I tested it in Python 3.6.3 (Anaconda) + TensorFlow-GPU 1.4.0
Environment: I used Win 10 + Cygwin
GPU was NVidia GeForce 840M 2Gb, compute capability 5.0, CUDA version 9.1"

Also try Cloudnights, they will have a discussion on there somewhere.

Steve
https://github.com/nekitmm/starnet#readme

Its been a few years since I bought a GPU, old rule of thumb would have been $200 is a highend entry level card. $300/350 is a good mid-range entry card, but with world supplies etc, god knows.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 18-08-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 18-08-2021, 10:30 AM
garymck (Gary)

Have an old GT 640 graphics card....
Gary
Old 18-08-2021, 11:18 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Been a while since I looked at this stuff. But essentially you want the best GPU for performing parallel programs and Nvidia and AMD are very different there, you'll need to do some reading.

AMD V Nvidia
https://www.electronicshub.org/cuda-...am-processors/

If you know the software/libraries, you should be able to work out if you need cores over clock speed etc or whatev they grade them by now. The fact that he has listed Nvidia libraries would push me towards Nvidia. I love AMD but user support is better for nvidia as well.

If you choose to go with the CUDA, then "Best Budget GPU for CUDA acceleration..." type write ups etc.

Steve
Ps. There are really only highend cards, the rest have chipsets and functions removed, smaller specs etc to fit a performance/price range.

List for Nvidia by CUDA cores might be a better link:
https://gist.github.com/cavinsmith/e...9eaa8775e3284e

Pps. If you know any gamers talk to them, they will always have a 2nd hand card or be planning to upgrade soon. Not that I'd suggest gumtree for video cards, but, a cheap second hand $300 GTX 780ti is 2880 CUDA processors versus your GT 640 at 384 CUDA processors. That's 7.5 times the processors, a bucket load more memory and newer faster tech included.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 18-08-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Pps
Old 18-08-2021, 01:55 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello again,

Sorry just looked at the specs of the laptop card they stated and its about the same as your current card. I'd be more inclined to look at hints and tips over a new card tbh for now. Using less processed images for the input and saving out .tiff in 16-bit format etc.

Steve
Old 18-08-2021, 02:31 PM
garymck (Gary)

Thanks,
decided to buy a 1050Ti card at $359.

My old GT650 could not be used for acceleration, so I was relying totally on the CPU. The new card should allow off loading to the GPU ans speed things up a fair bit (from what I've read at least 4 times faster).

Thanks for the help,
Gary
Old 18-08-2021, 06:55 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Gary, given the cost of GPUs at the moment, you might be well served by upgrading the CPU to something like a Ryzen 5800X, as at least you get general purpose acceleration