Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2022, 11:16 PM
Hodur (David)

Equipment Reviews

Reading equipment review is both educational and sheds light on the mysterious world of mounts and OTA.
There’s many an Optical expert within these pages. I’d love to read some new equipment reviews. After all the world of telescope optics has moved ahead in leaps and bounds just in the last couple of years.
So… I’m asking, for some of our knowledgeable colleagues too pen some reviews.
Thanking you in advance.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:18 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodur View Post
.... After all the world of telescope optics has moved ahead in leaps and bounds just in the last couple of years.
I am curious what recent innovations you are referring to.

Sure, there have been a few new product releases, but as far as optical design is concerned I am not aware of any optical game changer or innovation that has not been around for many, many years.

Care to expand on what you had in mind?
Old 07-12-2022, 12:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

A couple of optical designs incorporated into amateur equipment that come to mind in the past 10 years as far as alternative design innovation
1/ RASA
2/ HyperStar

Not that I own or use them

Yes / No ?
Old 07-12-2022, 06:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post

Sure, there have been a few new product releases, but as far as optical design is concerned I am not aware of any optical game changer or innovation that has not been around for many, many years.

He didn't say game changer..just moved ahead in leaps and bounds ...presumably little ones.

alex
Old 07-12-2022, 08:31 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:

Your AP RH308 wasn't a game changer when it was released? Started the revolution of fast imaging catadioptric. Prior to this the only fast imaging scope was the SCT's with the hyperstar.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:29 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

What about things like a "1 year with X" review?

I presume there are plenty of member looking at buying gear and want to know how it stands up to use, if there are any gremlins in it, and whether it's fit for purpose.

For example - I bought my SWED72 as a cheap way into astrophotography. It works really well for a scope in it's price range, but the focal length isn't really suitable for smaller DSOs such galaxies more than about 30M light years away.

Cheers,
V
Old 08-12-2022, 04:25 PM
Hodur (David)

Quote:

One of the things that comes to mind are the Harmonic Drive mounts and the exotic OTA Riccardi-Honders astrograph available from Testar.
Also the story’s I love reading, average guy, average gear, achieving great results.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:52 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodur View Post
One of the things that comes to mind are the Harmonic Drive mounts and the exotic OTA Riccardi-Honders astrograph available from Testar.
Also the story’s I love reading, average guy, average gear, achieving great results.
I guess I was being obtuse, but I'm pretty sure Klass Honders designed his astrograph back in the late 1970's/early 1980's and while there have been some excellent variations on his and other designs, much of this stuff has been around (albeit often not in amateur telescopes) for decades.

High precision optical shaft encoders have allowed things like harmonic drives, but in reality, how you spin a shaft is somewhat moot so long as it is accurate, smooth and rigid. This is not to say portability and weight savings of these drives are not useful...but they do throw the occasional curve ball if they lose power by going limp, or vibrating if not perfectly tuned when powered.

It is also worth mentioning if you put a renishaw or similar encoder into a standard mount drive you get the best of both worlds.....albeit at a price.

I guess the point I am making is changes in optics and mounts being offered to amateurs are evolutionary rather than revolutionary, with many high quality but older "classical" designs outperforming the latest marketing pitches.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Your are a big man and a decent man Peter...
Alex
Old 08-12-2022, 08:37 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Ok, I now the original thread post was calling for IIS Members reviews so apologies for going slightly off topic, not trying to hijack this thread.

I do like reading Ed Ting's scope reviews

https://www.scopereviews.com/index.html

and was a subscriber to Astronomy Technology Today magazine

https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/
Old 12-12-2022, 08:59 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
What about things like a "1 year with X" review?

I presume there are plenty of member looking at buying gear and want to know how it stands up to use, if there are any gremlins in it, and whether it's fit for purpose.

For example - I bought my SWED72 as a cheap way into astrophotography. It works really well for a scope in it's price range, but the focal length isn't really suitable for smaller DSOs such galaxies more than about 30M light years away.

Cheers,
V
Great idea Steve, that would be very useful to a lot of people. I'll probably do one for the 20" Skywatcher dob soon.