Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-07-2013, 09:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Vixen Porta II mount

Opinions on this mount appreciated. Looking for a GOOD alt-az for the nights when imaging aren't viable or sensible.
Old 17-07-2013, 10:08 PM
PeterHA (Peter)
Murphy's Friend

Altaz

Check out OAK Swiss the AYO II mount, it's 100% Swiss made, has a strong following in Europe and to Australia no VAT applies!
Depending on scope there is also the bigger AYO Digi and the AYO Master, all can have integrated encoders as an option.
The only mounts comparable than that might be Diskmount DM-4/6 or KK TRex.
Old 17-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Lewis,

I have been using a Porta II for just over 3 years now and rate it as excellent value for money. I have not seen better in the under $500 range for small telescopes.
I have a Vixen ED103 (with a heavier non Vixen finder scope) on the mount most of the time. Total 6.5 kg. The mount handles the scope well, although it is close to its limit. A heavier tripod would improve stability at medium to high magnifications. At these magnitudes, vibrations when focusing take 1-2 seconds to dampen out. Your 102 FL is slightly longer so vibrations may take a little longer to dampen out.
I have a small handle attached to the underneath of the focuser to act as a grab handle to slew the telescope. It is attached using one of the spare tapped holes underneath the focuser and works really well.
I also mount my Zeiss Diascope 85 TFL on this mount for terestrial work. Weight 2 kg.The mount is an absolute joy to use with this scope on board.
Adding the flexible slow motion handles makes a significant improvement to the ease of manual tracking. Using these there is no vibration at all at the eyepiece, even at high magnification. Plus one's hands are not at the awkward high angles needed for the short fixed handles. A simple squaring off of the ends of the grub screws that tension the two clutches made a big difference to the smoothness and tension adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 17-07-2013, 10:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thanks.

My intentions are for the William Optics Megrez 72FD to be on there most of the time, so weight - 2.5kg wet - is not an issue
Old 18-07-2013, 10:47 PM
anj026
Plyscope

The original Porta mount is a good mount. I'm not sure how much better the Porta II is.

I still use mine with a TV60. I have used it for a Megrez 90 and that was also very suitable. Here is a review I wrote not long after I first got it.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/44-353-0-0-1-0.html

I think a 4 inch refractor might be pushing it.
Old 19-07-2013, 09:06 AM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Vixen Porta II Mount

Another great mount is the GSO Alt Az mount available from Andrews or Bintel. Its as good or better than the Vixen and probably cheaper. There's a review in IIS. I have two of them for my solar scopes. You don't need the upright section option. Superbly made and solid.
Old 19-07-2013, 10:57 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Is this the one you mentioned John ? if so I s 2nd what you say , these are a great mount for the money .
Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC00142.jpg)
219.3 KB72 views
Old 22-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I bought a porta II to travel to cairns with last year for the solar eclipse.

I use a stellarvue 90mm refractor with it and it seems like a good match to me. The slow motion controls are smooth, although they seem a bit flimsy with the knobs being made of plastic.

Overall I'm happy with the combo
Old 23-07-2013, 12:01 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Vixen Porta II mount

Reply to Brian, re GSO alt az mount. Yes Brian, The mount you pictured is the one. I have two for my solar scopes and they are great value and solid as a rock. Cheers. John W.