Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 06:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Had COVID twice (confirmed). I work in a VERY high risk/exposure environment.

Still alive, negligible to nil symptoms, and that included my first case pre-vaccination in 2020. Didn't even know I had it the first time until ACT Health told me to quarantine (pre-Delta/pre-vaccination strain)

Long term effects - none I can detect apart from this damned arm that attracts non-magnetic coins and I pick up VLF radio in my skull
Old 12-01-2022, 07:04 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Had COVID twice (confirmed). I work in a VERY high risk/exposure environment.
Uber driver?
Old 12-01-2022, 07:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Uber driver?

Yep.

And didn't take any timeoff during the lock-downs
Old 12-01-2022, 07:09 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Vaccinations work for the majority my parents both got the virus before Christmas despite being double vaxxed (it was the delta strain. ) They are doing fine bad cough and lethargy for a week though mum still feels lethargic but dad is fully recovered. My uncles all ended up in hospital one is out now and recovered, the other is still there now out of ICU but now in rehab. You may be vaxxed and with Omicron not be so sick but it can still do you lots of harm. (I reckon they'd all have been a lot worse off if they were not vaxxed they are all in their mid to late 80's)
I understand the sentiment, but it reminds me of those who avoid air travel due a fear of flying. Coming into contact with cumulus granite is usually fatal (take my word on this ) but very rare. The drive to the airport however.....
Old 12-01-2022, 07:12 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I understand the sentiment, but it reminds me of those who avoid air travel due a fear of flying. Coming into contact with cumulus granite is usually fatal (take my word on this ) but very rare. The drive to the airport however.....

Nah, it's the ex-Tiger pilots now in QF you need to be terrified of [insert RyanAir if preferred]
Old 12-01-2022, 07:19 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Hey Peter,
Wishing you speedy recovery & get well soon.
We’re dealing with the same thing here. My wife & #3son in iso at home post VicJam scout camp where an outbreak happened. - inevitable with 5000 kids!

Fortunately We’ve all tested negative, so I can still work, although my wife shows some symptoms- guess she’s just maybe just run down after leading all those scout kids for a fortnight?

Can’t find another RATs test in Melbourne anywhere, even though Find-aRat com au is helpful -but with now 200,000 infected & probably 1,000,000 close contacts these things are the new crypto gold standard currency.

We live in interesting times.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
Glad you have only mild symptoms and are over the worst of it

My 2nd eldest son caught it ( Omicron )at a new years party ( kindly given to him by a mate ) he’s been in isolation for 10 days , got tested , still positive at day 12 , mild symptoms thankfully
In his case it’s not a 7 day thing more like a 2 week isolation , he’s going to get tested again at day 14

My eldest son with 4 kids phoned today , all family are positive , don’t know where the hell they caught it , he’s been so vigilant and aware of contact situations ( kids are pretty much house bound ) All have Omicron symptoms

Seems like Omicron is the common transmission now .......
Old 12-01-2022, 07:26 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Being aware of contact situations means nothing at all with Omicron. You can merely breathe in a shopping centre or walking past someone in the street who had no idea they have it...
Old 12-01-2022, 07:36 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Nah, it's the ex-Tiger pilots now in QF you need to be terrified of [insert RyanAir if preferred]
Ouch...I best not even go there
Old 12-01-2022, 07:46 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Being aware of contact situations means nothing at all with Omicron. You can merely breathe in a shopping centre or walking past someone in the street who had no idea they have it...
Their food is home delivered, they don’t visit shopping centres and work from home
The air in Sydney must be 95 % oxygen, 1% nitrogen and 4% Omicron
Old 12-01-2022, 08:08 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Yeah my biggest concern. Had to go into hospital for an Angiogram on Monday but prior to admission you have to go for a PCR test 72 hours prior to admission. If you weren't COVID positive before the PCR test there would be a higher chance of testing positive after waiting in line for extended periods with others. Lucky the Hospital decided to organise their own mini testing clinic.

Would be better to issue patients with the RAT kits and have them test themselves everyday three days prior. But then are people using these kits correctly.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:22 PM
Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Their food is home delivered, they don’t visit shopping centres and work from home
The air in Sydney must be 95 % oxygen, 1% nitrogen and 4% Omicron
Chuckled at that one Martin!

The 95% oxygen might do Sydney-siders a bit more harm than the Covid!

Old 13-01-2022, 11:19 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Chuckled at that one Martin!

The 95% oxygen might do Sydney-siders a bit more harm than the Covid!

The NYE fireworks would be pretty special.
Old 13-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I do get p^&*%^$ off when I see the daily numbers of infections in my village increase.
Everywhere the shops have signage "Masks are mandatory" but a quick visit and review reveals only about 70% have masks and about 50% do not cover the nose. Why the non-masked people are allow to enter the store is beyond me.
Stop them at the door and show them how to wear a mask. It's my health at risk.
(Rant over....)
Old 13-01-2022, 12:02 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
The NYE fireworks would be pretty special.
Very clever

Best
JA
Old 13-01-2022, 12:07 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Today is day four of my round with COVID and to quote Joe Cocker: "Feelin' alright!".

I note, apart from our esteemed Dr Swan's comments, the Washington Post reported: "At a Senate hearing Tuesday, Dr Fauci (head of the CDC) said that unvaccinated people are 20 times likelier to die, 17 times likelier to be hospitalized and 10 times likelier to be infected than the vaccinated" he also said “if you’re vaccinated and if you’re boosted, the chances of you getting sick are very, very low.”

My experience has been exactly that.

Very mild symptoms and absolutely certain vaccines are the key to navigating through this. As to why you'd choose not be vaccinated is beyond me.

Thinking of that: the Australian Open tennis....my prediction is the World's #1 men's player will withdraw, due a case of Omicron.
Old 13-01-2022, 02:06 PM
blindman
Now I see !!!

BTW virus is STILL not ISOLATED.
Cheers
Old 13-01-2022, 02:37 PM
raymo

Ken, if you stop and think about it, shop employees or proprietors probably
don't want to risk getting a bunch of fives from a belligerent shopper, as happens regularly, one poor employee even being thrown down an escalator.
It would seem that people that habitually defy or ignore laws or rules are
frequently aggressive.
raymo
Old 15-01-2022, 03:13 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Of 5 children too young to be vaccinated only 2 were infected - despite all the mothers being positive. None of the 5 vaccinated children were infected. I also know of another case of infected parents not passing it on to their young children.
Well I returned a negative PCR his morning. Out of 5 people (all double vaxed) in close contact with one positive (twice) every other person was negative. Go figure. I got tested four times and always was negative to date.
Old 15-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Well I returned a negative PCR his morning. Out of 5 people (all double vaxed) in close contact with one positive (twice) every other person was negative. Go figure. I got tested four times and always was negative to date.
Excellent news! Vax clearly doing it's job for you