Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
James Kirk

Connecting tripod to aoe 15x70 binoculars

Hi All

Got my new aoe 15x70 binos today and so far all good.

I am now trying to connect my camera tripod to it and it appears as thought the square base that I screw in to the binos is too big. It hits the two tubes which move in and out when you adjust for the wodth of your eyes.

I hope this makes some sense as it is very difficult to explain.

If anyone does understand could they help me.

Cheers

James
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi James

Is it this pair of binoculars?

http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe70hp.html

Did they come with a mount that is designed to connect to the tripod and then to the binoculars, in front of the focussing knob? Something like:-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Adapter.html

Can you take a photo or two and show us?

However, you might need to put a longer "bolt" into your tripod through a spacer (I use a block of wood about 3 cm thick) to connect into your binocular mount. As I recall the thread is standard 1/4 inch, 20 threads per inch. You can buy bolts or some threaded rod and make something up.

There is a spacer that can be bought. About 25mm long, I think it screws into the bottom of the mount and then the tripod screws into it. AOE didn't have one as a stock item, but were thinking about stocking them. They look like this:-

http://www.agenaastro.com/Garrett-Op...b-go-gbinx.htm

In the meantime, just fold up a towel or use a small cushion to support the binoculars on top of the tripod (or better on the top of a stepladder, or post, or car roof?) and make a start that way - you won't get to high elevations, but you can certainly make a start and have a good look at Jupiter and its moons as it rises in the east early each evening. And look at Venus before it sets. I think it's a bit late in the year to look at the Orion Nebula - it's almost setting with the sun. Lie on your back on the ground later at night and look for Omega Centauri. It's almost directly overhead and you'll see it, even hand-held. Better as the Moon vanishes from the evening sky. Then move onto the Jewel Box near Crux - a bit harder hand-held, but it should look lovely.

Last edited by erick; 05-06-2007 at 09:55 PM.