Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-07-2007, 07:50 PM
radu5er

Binocular view of Jupiter

Good evening everyone,

I know this will seem quite tame to most of you, but my daughter (age 12) and I caught a great view of Jupiter along with Europa, Ganymede and Callisto tonight just after sunset here and we were pretty excited. They were just a small disk and three pinpoints of light but they were there just the same!

We couldn't quite make out Io that early but I recon with the inexpensive Bushnell binos we were using and being in the city with the street lights around here we didn't do too badly.

Anyway, thanks to all for making this a great resource for newbies and old timers alike. And also for old timer newbies like myself.
Old 26-07-2007, 08:01 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Rick,

I still love a quick peak at Jupiter with my binocs if I don't have time for a full viewing session. Its great to watch the dance of the moons. Well done

BTW don't forget to use your binocs on Luna, its a great target.

Cheers
Old 26-07-2007, 08:24 PM
radu5er

Hi Rob and thanks for the encouragement.

We did have a long look at the moon tonight and it looked great too. Also a quick peak at the crescent of Venus.

My only real personal experience with 'optically assisted' sky viewing was by using a 4.5 inch 'department store' reflector with a very shaky tripod many years ago in another hemisphere of our planet...with considerably foggier skies too I might add!

I've been here in Oz for nearly eight years now and I remember one of the first things I noticed about the night sky here was just how clear it was and how many more objects were visible. I'm just a bit sorry I waited so long before I began to look skyward in earnest.

Well, the cosmos has been patient and has waited for me to get motivated and now I have a great skywatching buddy so we will be doing a lot more evening viewing...and also, of course, the mandatory gathering of progressively more expensive equipment as time progresses.

BTW, what do you think of your 8" GSO Dobson? It looks like a great value starter to me...especially in the Special M-CRF super deluxe version.

Cheers!
Old 26-07-2007, 09:57 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

G'day Rick
Binocs can be a lot of joy when looking into the night sky and as you and your daughter have found out, Jupiter can be very impressive viewing with binocs. There is so much more up there that you both can look at and enjoy so keep on looking around and keep us up to date with all the new targets you find.
Old 26-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi Rick, and welcome. Binocular views are sweet, aren't they? I'm tempted to just say "go the dob", as I'm sure others will, but perhaps first you ought to get along to a local club. Aren't you near Mr Ballaratdragons (Ken) and the Snake Valley mob?

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 27-07-2007, 12:15 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Rick! Welcome!

All being well (and that's asking a lot - weather, work/family commitments etc), I would plan to be at next new moon night at Snake Valley with my 8" GSO dob, if you wanted to have a "test drive".

Eric
Old 27-07-2007, 06:06 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Rick, to IIS!

There's nothing better than scanning the milky way with a good pair of Bino's.

The 8" dob is a great starting scope, but as Brian said, it would be a good idea to get out to a local club and look through a few scopes first. You'll get lots of knowledge and make some new friends in the meantime.

Keep asking questions here on IceInSpace and share your experiences with us!
Old 27-07-2007, 08:07 AM
radu5er

Good day Peter, Brian, Eric and Mike and thanks for the warm welcome to IIS.

Great advise about having a few looks through other's scopes before 'taking the plunge' for our own equipment. We are satisfied for the time being with our binoculars but the bug is bitting a bit more with each viewing session so I know it's only a matter of time.

Brian, yes I have met Ken online here and if conditions and schedule permit, we would very much like to visit the Valley of the Snake for a bit of a heavenly sticky.

Eric, thanks for the kind offer as well...once again we will see how things pan out and I'll keep in touch prior to the next new moon evening.

Once again, thanks to all for the assistance and advise...this forum has already become a place that I visit every time I get online.

Cheers to all.
Old 27-07-2007, 08:37 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Rick,

The 8" scope is brilliant but if you can, try before you buy. It is a great balance between aperture, portability and price (you need other things as well like a chair, planisphere, cheshire eyepiece for collimating).

As you are using binocs at present have a look at this site its very handy.

Keep looking up
Old 27-07-2007, 09:29 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Rick, I can recommend this book for aiding binocular viewing:-

http://home.st.net.au/%7Edunn/heavensabove/
Old 27-07-2007, 05:44 PM
radu5er

Thanks Rob and Eric...a bit of reading material would be good for rainy evenings...like tonight

Hey! BOM sez maybe a clear night Saturday in Victoria...we can only hope for clear skies or lots of rain!

Cheers all!

Last edited by radu5er; 27-07-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 27-07-2007, 11:25 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Rick,

I agree, that book (Heavens Above) is a great little book. It tells you in details what you can see and in what month. So it's great for newbies like you and me as well as for the more experienced dudes

Cheers,
Paul
Old 27-07-2007, 11:42 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu5er View Post
Brian, yes I have met Ken online here and if conditions and schedule permit, we would very much like to visit the Valley of the Snake for a bit of a heavenly sticky.
Yep, I attacked Rick by PM when he first joined up and I saw the 'Ballarat' in his Location ID.

Hi again Rick

Old 28-07-2007, 07:51 AM
radu5er

Thanks Paul and Eric for the suggestion...looks like just the thing for me.

Oh, and Ken...I think 'attacked' is a bit harsh...maybe 'pounced' is a bit better

Looking forward to meeting some of you good folks maybe at the next SVAA new moon night.