Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Bucko (Aaron)

Hello everyone

Hello everyone I'm Aaron from Brisbane , I recently discovered this new found hobby over the last month or so when I inherited a pair of old,maybe 30 to 40 yrs plus old binoculars. Ive mainly been observing the Moon and Jupiter and learning the night sky with a star chart. Ive always had an interest in the night sky over the years as well.

Ive been browsing this site for a couple of weeks and have learnt a lot about the hobby as a whole and I have to say I'm rather impressed with the knowledge base that is here as well.

I'd like to share what I am using atm, these binoculars are super optic prismatic coated optics and are 10x50 with field 5 degrees as printed on the binoculars themselves, I cant believe the detail I can see with these things on the moon and just tonight Ive been observing Jupiter and for the first time I'm seeing 3 maybe 4 moons, I simply cant believe it! haha.

My future plans are to purchase my first scope, Im thinking along the lines of a 10" goto dobsonian but then with more research and even attending a club night Ill know what to go for, for sure. I just know without leaving the city and getting into some darker sky's Ive seen what I can with what I have....I think

Old 24-10-2010, 07:49 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

and Aaron.

You've started out in the right direction. Binos can provide great views of the night sky, especially when your panning through the milky way.

Attending a club night will definitely give you food for thought when it comes to a telescope. There are plenty of choices out there that's for sure and a Dob will give you the best bang for you buck.

good luck with your adventure.
Old 24-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Hi Aaron , welcome to the passion. I also started out with old binos. Go for the club to find more answers and maybe even some wisdom.

Have fun.
B
Old 24-10-2010, 03:09 PM
leon

Oh dear another one addicted, good move though Aaron, you will get all the help possible from all the members here, welcome.

Leon
Old 24-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Gday Aaron

Oh yes the bino's are great for sky hopping your way around the universe And from here on you may as well just place all your credit cards on the Astro shop counter It is a very addictive hobby but also very enjoyable and rewarding
Make sure you definately go to a star party or two before buying that scope (happy shopping)

Cheers