Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-09-2012, 01:49 PM
sus (Susan)

Last night!

Yesterday I got myself all ready so I would be able to spend a few hours outside once it got dark, I thought I would look at the moon as I can find that and I know what it is!!! hahaha Someone told me to look for Saturn and kindly told me where I would find it...I am assuming I never seen it...I did see lots of beautiful stars and an extremely wonderful bright almost like an ice coloured one(I know ice may not to the best way to describe it but anyways). I looked for an app for the ipad and found a one which was meant to show you which star you are looking at when you point it in that direction. So if it was right...I was Canis Major(greater dog), if anyone is familiar with the skies of Perth would this be the star I was looking at? I also found a cluster of stars not far from the moon...iPad says...Butterfly..is this also true?
Hope you all had an amazing night of gazing as I did...I may not know much about what I'm looking at but I'm loving every second, even though my hands and nose were frozen by the time I decided to call it a night!
Old 24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Hi Susan
Seems like you might have been looking at Sirius, which is the brightest star in the sky.
Glad you enjoyed your session
Laurie
Old 24-09-2012, 02:11 PM
sus (Susan)

Thank you Laurie, I have just looked it up and yes it does say sirius and has a faint picture of a dog and Canis Major so I take it Sirius is part of what makes up that constellation.
Old 25-09-2012, 08:48 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Susan, sounds like it was a fun experence. Have you got Stellarium loaded on your computer ? It is a free software that shows you the skies for where you are once you set it up correctly. It should help you to find and identify what you see through the scope. Big help in learning the skies and planning what you want to see.
Old 25-09-2012, 10:24 AM
sus (Susan)

Hi Brent

No I don't have that, but I will have a look today and get it downloaded!

Thanks
Susan
Old 26-09-2012, 11:54 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Cool, one of the tools at the left side marked Location will let you select your home city\town which should synchronise the software with your current skies. Good to play with when the skies are too cloudy to view so you know it is up there even if you can't see it ...
Old 26-09-2012, 10:19 PM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus View Post
Yesterday I got myself all ready so I would be able to spend a few hours outside once it got dark, I thought I would look at the moon as I can find that and I know what it is!!! hahaha Someone told me to look for Saturn and kindly told me where I would find it...I am assuming I never seen it...I did see lots of beautiful stars and an extremely wonderful bright almost like an ice coloured one(I know ice may not to the best way to describe it but anyways). I looked for an app for the ipad and found a one which was meant to show you which star you are looking at when you point it in that direction. So if it was right...I was Canis Major(greater dog), if anyone is familiar with the skies of Perth would this be the star I was looking at? I also found a cluster of stars not far from the moon...iPad says...Butterfly..is this also true?
Hope you all had an amazing night of gazing as I did...I may not know much about what I'm looking at but I'm loving every second, even though my hands and nose were frozen by the time I decided to call it a night!
Sounds like you're having lots of fun! As Larry says, if you were looking at Canis Major, the "ice-coloured" (not a bad description for a blue/white star) would most likely have been Sirius. But Sirius rises quite late in the evening at the moment in the east (just before midnight in Perth), so what you saw could have been Canopus if you were out earlier in the evening, if you were looking southeast. After midnight or so there's a good chance it was Sirius. Sirius and Canopus are the brightest stars in the sky!

If you are searching for Saturn, look after sunset when the sky is just beginning to darken and the first stars are coming out to play. Looking west, towards the bright sky where the Sun has disappeared, you'll see two bright stars appear very roughly 15-20 degrees above the horizon. Your fist at arms length is 10 degrees, so they should appear a bit more than a fists-width above the horizon, maybe two. The left-hand star is blue-white, and is Spica. The right-hand "star", a little higher than the left-hand one, is yellow and is Saturn! If you can find it with your Astromaster you may see the rings . Both Spica and Saturn are the brightest things in that area above the western horizon at dusk, but they will set only a little later, so look for them as soon as you can see stars in the sky!
Old 27-09-2012, 07:15 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

...and hows that Stellarium install going ?
Old 27-09-2012, 12:14 PM
sus (Susan)

Hi Brent

I installed it the other day and it worked really well, took me a while to work out how to close it...having a blonde moment!
Tuesday I took the telescope out even though it was cloudy and pointed it in the general direction of where the computer said the moon was and kept changing the position and once the cloud shifted for few seconds it was in the right place. I was quite gutted that the clouds never cleared in the direction of saturn as I had looked up on here to find out the best time to look at it, but no it was not to be!!
I think over the weekend here in Perth it's going to be sunny so I'm hoping to be able to get round to seeing Saturn before its gone.
Thanks for the tip regarding the Stellarium!

Cheers Susan
Old 27-09-2012, 12:26 PM
sus (Susan)

Hi Andy

I was out by about 7.20pm and went back in around 11.30pm so it must have been the other star! I tried to see Saturn on Tuesday but it was just to cloudy to see anything..although I did get to see the moon and this was around 6.50pm. I went out around 6.30 to make sure I was in the right place and set up before the stars came out, I'm hoping to be able to see it over the weekend as the weather should be clearing by then. Thanks for the tip about the fists measure the degrees, I may need to take my telescope to somewhere other than my garden though as with all the houses and trees I doubt I will be able to see anything.
Once I get a chance I'm going to get that book I have seen a few people say they use so i can have a read of all that but so far from what I have been reading on here thats been quite helpful. I think I will stick to trying to get to know what my telescope can do and how to work it properly and focus on getting to know the general layout of the sky before I get into the nitty gritty of it all.
Cheers
Susan